Yourstrulyxx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi everyone,

So I've finally gotten ahold of both and it doesn't work. The CyberSave editor can read the save no problem and it shows up just fine, you can edit, do whatever you want with it. The problem comes up after you save back onto the sky3ds as the save becomes corrupted.

So in summary

1. sky3ds has game loaded
2. cyber can extract the save
3. the save is in proper format; no corruption/issues
4. writing the edited save back onto sky3ds shows no issues/errors
5 but the save is corrupted - neither cybersave editor can read it again nor the game; both will show corrupted save/error.

Too bad! Would've been great for pokemon editing.

Yourstrulyxx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmmm, so this is interesting, after some more testing it seems the sky3ds does not play nice with savedata backup. I tried to backup the Persona Q and Shin Sekaijuu 2 (Etrian Odyssey) save using the official/latest disktools V104b4 and after restoring it the games either doesn't recognize it or says the save file is corrupted. The save files are fine prior to backup/restoring; i can switch/save/load between games without any issue.

Sky3ds backups the saves in one large 32mb file. I was hoping it was in the 512kb eeprom format, at least I can replace it with cybersave.

Cassase

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I got the same problem as well for pokemon omega ruby. It seems that the backup/restore save function of sky3ds is not compatible with certain games.

When i tried to email sky3ds about the issue, they only reply me with the stupid save&restore instruction pdf.

Yourstrulyxx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Actually I just spent the afternoon testing and I've finally succeeded in restoring a save. I hope I can explain it well! First of all you need at least TWO games loaded on the sdcard to restore a save properly. The reason being...

You have Roms A and B

1. You currently have Rom A loaded, and you save your game. The current save is not immediately written to your sd card - I've tested this(basically you can load another fresh copy of a rom onto another sdcard, switch out the sdcards but you will be able to load the same save).

2. Press Red button - Rom A's current save is written/saved to the sdcard; and then it loads Rom B + corresponding save.

So if you want to backup/restore Rom A's save, you will have to switch to Rom B, then perform the save backup/restore and you will have Rom A's backup/restoration. The catch is that whatever Rom's save you want to restore, you cannot have that Rom currently loaded as the active game. You have to be on another rom. Then you can restore, press the red button, the restored save will be read from the sdcard and written onto whatever emulated save area the sky3ds has. It's so silly, and it's one giant file for all your saves so you cannot load individual backups.

It wasn't working for me before because I only had one rom loaded, so stupidly everytime I restored a save, it wasn't immediately loaded onto the emulated save area. And when I press the red button all it did was write the current save back on to the sdcard and it overwrote the save I just restored.

Reactions: cearp

Cassase

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Thanks for the explanation.

I tried using the method you mention but i still have the same problem. So here's what i did to test the function.

1) Save in pokemon oras, press red button in game to save data into sd card. (3ds prompt me cart is removed)

2) Current game is fantasy life. Take out sd card and backup saves.

3) Put back sd card and press red button to go back pokemon oras, go to another town. repeat step 1.

4) Current game is fantasy life. Take out sd card and restore saves.

5) put back sd card and press red button to go back pokemon oras. Saves is still the one before restores.

any idea where i did wrong?

Thanks!

Yourstrulyxx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You totally did it right, and it still didn't work for you? You were able to switch/save/load without issue on ORAS before, right?

edit: sorry, seems like you were able to load/save just fine.. hmmm.. how odd!

Cassase

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Yes, everything work perfectly fine. The only problem is the save&restore function. Just to check, which version of the diskwriter are you using? I am using mainly v1.04b4 and v1.04b5.

pipoco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm having a save data issue too. I removed one game from the sdcard, and add another. But for some reason all save data was corrupted, so I lost saves from 7 games.
Usually I make backups from save data, so I just used the restore function. No deal.

I formatted the card, added all 7 games correspondent to the last save data, on the same order on card... and no deal. Every game say that the save is corrupted. My tries include the drill of allow a game to create a save, remove the card, restore, add the card. Corrupted saves.

Even if I just format the card, add 2 games, launch one, save, red button, eject, back up. Launch any game, allow it save, red button, eject, restore... I get corrupt save for BOTH games.

Used 2 sd cards with the same size (8GB) on last diskwriter, to confirm that it isn't a card issue.

So I'm literally removing save/restore for my possibilities... I'm assuming that for any unknown reason I can lost permanently my saves.... My only hope is using disk dump backups (block-by-block backup)...

pipoco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I can only "restore" my save by doing a completely game backup (all games from sdcard), and restoring it later. Saving only one game, or only its save doesn't work when restoring it...
So if I want to make a backup only for, lets say... zelda ocarina. I have to save about 7GB ....

Btw, I'm at the moment using that: https://gbatemp.net/threads/sky3ds-diskwriter-python-clone-for-linux-osx.377700

As far my testing goes.... it can actually restore ONE saved game. You just have to allow the game to make a new save, when it became corrupted, and then use the write save data option.

BUT when I made a backup for a game that changed slot, the restore doesn't work....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E