Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyhigh_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seem to have an issue with my sky3ds+ ( orange button) reading the 64 gb cards

To clarify: 64gb cards are normally formatted exfat
I used ease us, mini tool parition, and guiformat not a single of one them made a different the micro sd card is not read by the sky3ds+

I formatted to FAT32 and choose cluster size 64kb ( what is actually recommended on the cards website).
Even choosing different cluster sizes makes no difference.

And no the card isn't faulty i was using it before on a laptop as well as an old phone , it works without any issues.

I tried 2 different brands:
Kingston micro sd 64 gb class 10
And samsung evo 64 gb class 10

both cards were tested and passed using hwtest as well as crystaldiskmark

Any ideas what to do? unless i am extremely unlucky and the sky3ds+ just decides to be brand specific i must be doing something else wrong

The cards i have that are under 64 gb that i tested are all sandisk... and unfortunately i don't have any sandisk 64 gb cards

edit- forgot to mention what happens when the sky3ds+ tries to read the card
It flashes green for 2 seconds then red for 1 second and then shuts off. At no single point does it try to read a game inside the micro sd card or show a game icon

Last edited by Skyhigh_,

UsualNoise

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using a Lexar 64 GB with no issues. However, to format I used Minitool Partition Wizard Free, not Easeus. Also, I deleted the existing partition that came on the card, did a full zero fill, then created a new partition with 64kb clusters. I have a non-SDXC reader so the full zero fill took several hours, but it's working so far. I have 20 GB of games on it so far, all working.

I don't know if a zero fill will help in your case, but that sounds like the only difference other than brand (and Kingston / Samsung are usually more reliable than Lexar normally I think).

Skyhigh_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using a Lexar 64 GB with no issues. However, to format I used Minitool Partition Wizard Free, not Easeus. Also, I deleted the existing partition that came on the card, did a full zero fill, then created a new partition with 64kb clusters. I have a non-SDXC reader so the full zero fill took several hours, but it's working so far. I have 20 GB of games on it so far, all working.

I don't know if a zero fill will help in your case, but that sounds like the only difference other than brand (and Kingston / Samsung are usually more reliable than Lexar normally I think).

I also deleted the full partition and like i noted i not only tried ease us i also like guiformat and mini partition tool.

i have not done a full zero fill , but ill give it a try. I would be surprised if that actually fixes the issue

Do you happen to know the exact model of your lexar card?

is it this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Lexar-High-P...sr=8-1&keywords=lexar+64+gb+class+10+micro+sd

Hamstermascot

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I had it working with my 128gb samsung evo microsd and it worked fine. Use SD formatter 4.0 to format the microsd. Also check your microSD content. Is there a settings file in it? Since it flashed green there should be one. Open the settings file and see what the firmware version is. You need "Firmware version=110" or "Firmware Version=112" to make the sky3ds+ read the games directly. If it's not you could try it with the Updated template http://www.sky3ds.com/download.html

Skyhigh_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well i still have this issue i am convinced i am doing something wrong..

All cards 32 gb and under work doesn't matter what brand ( i tried: kingston, transcend, sony and sandisk).
But with 64 gb+ micro sd cards they don't work, the sky3ds just flashes rainbow colors indicating that no micro sd is inserted

My 64 gb micro sd cards are legit and tested and pass, in fact i used them often in other devices without issues ( wii, psp, phone, raspberry pi etc.).
As per my opening post not only did i follow instructions on how to format the cards i went to the trouble of trying 4 different variations of software to format the card as well as trying 2 different testing software to make sure my cards test good ( and they did).

Even the lexar card i bought linked above which a user verified works on his orange button sky3ds doesn't work for me. So at this point it seems i must be doing something incorrect ( and its not the sky3ds+ because i tried another with same issue!).

If someone could be so kind as to post exactly what they did you get the 64 gb card working i would greatly appreciate it ( please note what steps i have already done to avoid any confusion).

it seems all one would do is use something like mini tool partition
Select the sd card volume and delete
format partition using fat 32
set cluster size to 64kb
I pick my drive letter ( i left it default before and it wont show up)

Then i leave the other numbers in the bottom default ( allocation size before format etc..)
I can't even mess with the number if i wanted to because i tried

I also tried using different drive letters and setting different cluster sizes... nothing

32gb and under micro sd cards i don't even have to do this, i simply use the windows quick format and they are good to go

Last edited by Skyhigh_,

Redferne

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Did you try with 32kb cluster size? I think it's very unlikely to fix the issue but it worth a try...

Skyhigh_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you try with 32kb cluster size? I think it's very unlikely to fix the issue but it worth a try...
tried all cluster sizes and made no difference

these cards seem to work for others so i am doing something wrong , i did almost everything i can think of to get them working.
To be honest i probably won't even use the full 64 gb but its just that 32 gb micro sd cards and 64 gb micro sd cards are not too far off in price.

A 32 gb class 10 is about $10 and a 64 gb class 10 is about $16 , when buying micro sd cards i just opted for bigger capacity for just a few more dollars because since i always swap these cards around for different devices i always try to make the best of them. Prices in uk don't seem to different almost the same as usa ( maybe $2 more expensive)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Mi...qid=1469304030&sr=8-3&keywords=64+gb+micro+sd

Skyhigh_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still battling with this issue, i am perplexed as to why it doesn't work for me

The sky3ds team seems to deliberately ignore what i email them and just give me generic responses ( ''format fat32 and use 64kb cluster size'').

So this works for a user like usualnoise but not me... what the hell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny