Skinning

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Riversong, Jan 27, 2011.

Jan 27, 2011

Skinning by Riversong at 8:09 AM (850 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Riversong
    OP

Newcomer Riversong Member

United States
    I am wanting to create a new skin using 24 colour bmp files, but I seem to be having trouble creating these. I downloaded Dan Taylor's skin editor from acekard.com and it wants to convert them to 16 colour, so that's no help. I even downloaded the original editor, but the file is corrupt (it says it's missing MSINET.OCX). Any ideas on where to get a good, easy to use skinning software?

2. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Firstly - IIRC the AceKard only allows 16-bit skins anyway, that's why the programs 'convert' to 16-bit
    (there's a note on the Wiki)

Secondly, you could always Google for 'MSINET.OCX download' to install that to get the other one working

Thirdly, there's another program you could try @ http://gbatemp.net/t229246-ds-skin-maker.
    It a multi-card skin maker - & it should help you (not tried it in a while) to arrange everything & alter the colours etc

3. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    The DS can only display 16bit colour so why even bother with supporting 24bits when all it does is slow stuff down?

4. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Not to sound like I'm complaining, but whatever Moonshell2 does to it's images ('regular' BMPs and PNGs) looks FAR better than AKAIO/Wood's 16bit BMPs. Also I seem to have a hell of a time getting colors to look correct on AKAIO/Wood, but no problems with Moonshell. In Moonshell colors look a little light depending on the angle, but that's due to the DS' lighting. But with AKAIO/Wood sometimes the colors look washed out or dull or just plain 'off', like it's hue has been adjusted.

5. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Ah.. right - never knew that (never used that tool before) - glad you cleared that part up for him