Tutorial Simple Guide to Downgrading your 3DS

Have you been able to successfully downgrade your 3DS/2DS?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKA-Link77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To summarize... @Onyxflamegod

I had went ahead and downgraded with the pack that @fireguy85 sent me like five minutes after he sent it.
Side note... I had downgraded 3 other consoles before... all, including the one today, interrupted with
"An error has occurred. Power off the console..."
The 2 consoles before were DG'ed with the most recent packs and the 3rd one I DG'ed today was with the pack I was linked.
I thought it would have had a different outcome but it did the same crash error as before.

Oddly enough all the consoles that I DG'ed were okay and were on 9.2...
I just needed to take out the SD card and boot it back up.

When this happened with the second console, I was kinda pissed. A user: " @Just Passing By " replied to my help request and said that these are known as "Phantom Firmwares" or "frankenfirmwares"...
He said that having these firmwares is dangerous and unstable. He suggested that I went ahead and downgraded with the same pack as before.
It was a good suggestion and would make sense that the phantom firmwares are unstable because they didn't even finish downgrading in the first place.
So I downgraded with the pack again and everything seems good! :yay3ds:

I don't know why these errors are happening... I downgraded my first console with no problems at all (this console was my real first DG)...

The 3 consoles after had the same crash error... the only link between the 3 failed consoles was their natural firmware version.
All of which that failed were below 10.0...
This is the only clue to why it failed but I can't confirm or deny this.

Last edited by AKA-Link77,
Reactions: Just Passing By

Onyxflamegod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All of which that failed were below 10.0...
This is the only clue to why it failed but I can't confirm or deny this.
That would most likely be the problem. FW below 10.3 can just be stubborn in general to downgrade. Furthermore compared to the new 10.4-10.7 DG method, which is generally more stable than the lower firmware downgrades as well, but downgrading from 10.7 requires either cubic ninja or a method of running OoThax. I'd had a nightmare trying to downgrade, and upon updating to 10.7 and downgrading with OoThax and the new downgrader, it worked in one try. Not everyone has issues with the old methods, but it seems that generally the old ones cause more problems.
But if youve got it working now, you should be fine.

Last edited by Onyxflamegod,
Reactions: AKA-Link77

Lanc3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I need your help.
I got a n3dsxl Australian version from another guy that had it on 9.6.0.24E but it worked it with sky3ds card.
How should I proceed?
Should I first update to 10.3, delete anything from the SD card or not?
I also want to move everything in a bigger microSD card.
Finally should I make now a new Nintendo ID code or wait first to downgrade to 9.2E?

Last edited by Lanc3r,
D

Deleted User

Cannot downgrade to 10.7 no matter what I do. Every successful downgrade results in the black screen of death, forcing me to update to 10.7 again. Should I keep trying or should I downgrade to 10.5, 10.6 first, and then 9.2?

>Update files replaced once, both were OK after check in SafeSysUpdater
>Successfully downgraded more than 5 times, all resulting in le BSoD

Edit: Fixed a typo
Edit 2: Frustrated so I'm going to end up posting this on another related thread. 뉴뉴

Last edited by ,

Bruno12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello!
In recent days, there have been many developments within the 3DS homebrew community, with one of them being kernel access! With this, we now have a way to downgrade 3DSs and do whatever we want with kernel on >=9.3 3DSs. What's that? You want to downgrade? Well then, here's how...

PLEASE NOTE: JP N3DS Users, you'll need to remove the 000400102002CA00 title in order to not get bricked! Not sure if other regions need to do this as well.

ALSO NOTE: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR 3DS BRICKS. If it does, I'm sorry, but it is NOT my fault.

CIA STUFF:

Need some firmware CIAs and can't find them? Never fear. Even though I can't directly link them here, I can tell you that if you Goodle (including the quotation marks) "[MEGA] [CIA/BIN] MSET 4.X & 6.X backups, Browser backups, Update packs (All Regions)" you may just find what you're looking for. ;)
You can verify that you've gotten the right .zip file and that everything is okay by comparing the file's MD5 and SHA-1 hashes (generated on this great site) to this handy chart below.

TUTORIAL:
Before beginning, remove any DNSs (like Tubehax) that you may have on your 3DS. This can interfere with the downgrading process. You may also want to back up your SD card juuuust in case...
  1. Grab the sysUpdater app from here and place it into the '3ds' folder of your SD card.
  2. Make a folder called 'updates' on the root of your SD card.
  3. Place all of the CIAs for the update you wish to downgrade to into the folder.
  4. Eject your SD card, put it into your 3DS, and boot.
  5. Open up the Homebrew Launcher in your entrypoint of choice and start the sysUpdater app.
  6. If everything goes well, you should have some options. Since we're downgrading, you can go ahead and press the Y button.
  7. Wait and DO NOT touch anything. The app will tell you when it is done. (It took me less than 5 minutes)
  8. Once the app prompts you that it is done, wait. It will reboot automatically.
  9. Bite your fingernails in suspense. If everything goes correct...
  10. Your 3DS will be downgraded! :D
COMMON PROBLEMS:
Issue: The app freezes at a certain step!
Solution: Try a different entrypoint. I was using Ironhax and got this problem, so I switched to OoT3DHax and it worked.

Issue: The prompt comes on screen, but nothing happens when I press a button!
Solution: Either wait a few moments or reboot the system and try again.

Issue: I downgraded, but my 3DS screen is completely black upon reboot!
Solution: Try removing the SD card, or you can reboot into recovery mode. To do this, hold A+R+L+Up as your 3DS turns on.

(please recommend any other issues and solutions to add here please!)
VIDEOS:

CREDITS:
DATA GATHERING:
There is an optional little thing you can do here that helps collect data about the 3DS downgrade process. Do it if you feel like it. :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I tried to downgrade today and i had a problem. While downgrading, i already had checked the cia files with SafeSysUpdater, appeared a message "Failed to get to write files". Then, the screen turned black, and i can't turn it on again. What can i do to solve?
I was on the "9.5.0-23u" system.

D

Deleted User

I ended up not posting my problem to another thread. I was able to downgrade to 10.3 and then 9.2 without any problems. Not sure why my system was giving me a hard time, but whatever. If anyone else if having trouble with 10.7, try what I did.

darrin41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok guys here I go , I have a old 3ds xl that I downgrade from 7.2 -4.2 im have problems install rxtools and links tuts and setting up my sd card would help thanks

Reactions: Deleted User

anggun

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I have o3ds xl . fw 9.9 us.
I want downgrade.. But the browsing internet not working..

Must upgrade system..

What sould i do??,tq
IMG_20160411_012920.jpg

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
What its means dummy brower?? I used catride to update fw..
It means it's not a real browser. You can't bypass that error. It's just an app made to show you that screen. Which means you can't use the browser unless you update via the internet, which atm will update you to 10.7.

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its means. I have to 10.7 ??
Oh no..

Can i use hardmod on 10.7 ??

What is browser bypass.. ?? Tq
Delete browser save data, then set the date to 1/1/2000.
You can't though if you have the dummy browser. And a hardmod won't help b/c you need a nand backup of 9.2 for it to work which you don't have. Just use Oot + Powersaves.

Reactions: SomeGamer

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Its means. I have to 10.7 ??
Oh no..

Can i use hardmod on 10.7 ??

What is browser bypass.. ?? Tq
well, it means you'll need another entrypoint. The problem is - since you can't use browserhax, and browserhax doesn't work on 10.7 either, you'll either need a Sky3DS with Cubic Ninja, a Cubic Ninja cartridge, or a cartridge of Ocarina of Time 3D and way to install *hax (Powersaves 3DS or a friend with a hacked 3DS)

anggun

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
well, it means you'll need another entrypoint. The problem is - since you can't use browserhax, and browserhax doesn't work on 10.7 either, you'll either need a Sky3DS with Cubic Ninja, a Cubic Ninja cartridge, or a cartridge of Ocarina of Time 3D and way to install *hax (Powersaves 3DS or a friend with a hacked 3DS)
Oke
. thanks all..
I will waiting browser hax on 10.7..
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    light27 @ light27: oh it’s the least I could do +1