Tutorial Simple Guide to Downgrading your 3DS

Have you been able to successfully downgrade your 3DS/2DS?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

eldavo2090

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So after a lot of tries, finally managed to boot sysUpdater, summoned all the courage i had and pressed Y....

Everything went good, and when the 3ds was supposed to reboot... nothing happened, waited a couple of minutes and nothing, so i decided to go ahead and reboot it myself, and i was ready to deal with whatever brick state my console was going to be.
But to my surprise... the downgrade was a success!

N3DS XL
10.3 > 9.2 with menuhax!

Attachments

• 20160107_225227.jpg
    20160107_225227.jpg
    635.6 KB · Views: 336
  • 20160107_225227.jpg
    20160107_225227.jpg
    635.6 KB · Views: 295

JustAKirby

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I considered the question rhetorical why else would you have downgraded if not to install CFW
I'm an idiot, please disregard my statement XD
I mixed your signature with your text
and yea, that is true, I just wanted to see if it was safe to do it at this point in time
there are so many threads of bricks floating around

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm an idiot, please disregard my statement XD
I mixed your signature with your text
and yea, that is true, I just wanted to see if it was safe to do it at this point in time
there are so many threads of bricks floating around
well if you already downgraded then you just got through one of the most dangerous things you have to do with your system so with that said it's pretty safe and yea functional

Reactions: JustAKirby

Nanoh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello people! May someone, with a good heart, help me with some doubts?

I have a 2DS ver 10.3.0-28U and I wanna know if it's possible to downgrade it? I've read everything and I understand that it IS possible, but just in case, you know, I dont want to have a 2DS bricked...

This homebrew channel... Do I have to instal in my 2DS, or it comes with the things that I put inside the SD card?

Thanks,

May the force be with us,

Nanoh

Ps: sorry about the poor english, I've studied it a lot but I never traveled to another country to try it for real...

Last edited by Nanoh,

Santaros

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello people! May someone, with a good heart, help me with some doubts?

I have a 2DS ver 10.3.0-28U and I wanna know if it's possible to downgrade it? I've read everything and I understand that it IS possible, but just in case, you know, I dont want to have a 2DS bricked...

This homebrew channel... Do I have to instal in my 2DS, or it comes with the things that I put inside the SD card?

Thanks,

May the force be with us,

Nanoh

Yes a 2ds can be downgraded it uses the same firmware as the o3ds. Not sure what you are asking with the next question, on 10.3 assuming you don't have Cubic Ninja or Zelda - Ocarina of Time, you would be using Browserhax to gain access to Homebrew. You would go to the following web address on your 3ds browser: http://yls8.mtheall.com/3dsbrowserhax_auto.php

Then press the icon down the bottom [the magnifying glass with the + in it] to zoom in as far as you can, then move the page to the top left corner and click on the right side of the slider, just inside it [seems to work better if you go as far right as you can] this will start the hax. You can go to Smealum's website: http://smealum.github.io/3ds/

Grab the start pack from there to set yourself up with some basic homebrew. Then extract that to the root of your sd card [i.e. sd:\, not inside any folders].

Last edited by Santaros,
Reactions: wormdood

Nanoh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@Santaros

So... I have to acess everything that you said directly from my 2DS? And then I will have the homebrew channel installed? So easily? x.x

Thanks bro

Santaros

Trophies
XP
Country
@Santaros

So... I have to acess everything that you said directly from my 2DS? And then I will have the homebrew channel installed? So easily? x.x

Thanks bro

The Browserhax method doesn't require any installation ;), if you want to install it permanently, you would either run the Menuhax Manager application [it comes in the starter pack from Smealum's site] to install that, or you could use the old eShop downloader to grab Ironfall and then run Ironhax Installer to install a hacked save that allows you to launch the Homebrew Launcher.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Essentially what Memchunkhax2 is doing is forcing a pointer [points to an address in memory] to [eventually] be written into memory that's user accessible. Which will in turn allow access to system functions, that aren't normally available [in this case am:u, allowing you to downgrade]. The method that's being used is roundabout and imprecise and that's why it fails as often as it does. It will likely be improved somewhat in future, but I wouldn't ever expect it to be a 100% reliable, just in case anyone was wondering why it behaves in the way it does. It may not be perfect but it's all there is.

Last edited by Santaros,

Rashka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hm... I tried browserhax, menuhax and oot3dhax... Hbl starts, I start sysupdater 0.4.2b and then :

Oot3d & Menuhax:
Sysupdater doesn't start, stuck on black screen

Browserhax:
Sysupdater starts, but Stucks on the press a, b, y to start screen.

I'm trying this for three days now, I think I need help ;-)

Ah, I'm using o3ds XL 10.3.0-28e

Any suggestions?

Santaros

Trophies
XP
Country
Hm... I tried browserhax, menuhax and oot3dhax... Hbl starts, I start sysupdater 0.4.2b and then :

Oot3d & Menuhax:
Sysupdater doesn't start, stuck on black screen

Browserhax:
Sysupdater starts, but Stucks on the press a, b, y to start screen.

I'm trying this for three days now, I think I need help ;-)

Ah, I'm using o3ds XL 10.3.0-28e

Any suggestions?

The only thing you can really do is load it again and give it another shot. Maybe give it shot with Ironfall?, the only tip I could really give you is what has worked for other people, perhaps try loading another app first and see if that works, it seems to for some people. Other than that you can use the shortcut [L + R + Down + B] to skip back and try again instead of restarting. If you have pressed Y and nothing else appears on screen for 30 seconds, you should be safe to close it and try again, if it works it should be within a few seconds but better to leave a decent margin just in case ;).

Santaros

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a N3DS with 10.3.0-28U is it possible to downgrade to 9.2?

Yes it certainly is, just have a read of the first post to find out what you need to do, and I would optionally recommend reading through the thread a bit if you are at all unsure of what you are doing. Please note that currently n3ds seems to run into a lot more hassle using the downgrade, you may want to wait a little and see if something more stable comes along, the choice is yours.

Last edited by Santaros,

powersaver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I can't downgrade on a 10.3.0-28U NN3DS NON-XL, can anyone help? Please reply or PM.

Stevice10's Dropbox sysupdater only booted 1 time w/o freezing or an error on Step 3 and when it booted successfully, I got the "Failed to get CIA file info". I've tried ~10x.

The OP sysupdater and the sysupdater on page 95 always give the "Failed to get CIA file info", when they boot up successfully.

Thank you.

Last edited by powersaver,

Santaros

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I can't downgrade on a 10.3.0-28U NN3DS NON-XL, can anyone help? Please reply or PM.

Stevice10's Dropbox sysupdater only booted 1 time w/o freezing or an error on Step 3 and when it booted successfully, I got the "Failed to get CIA file info". I've tried ~10x.

The OP sysupdater and the sysupdater on page 95 always give the "Failed to get CIA file info", when they boot up successfully.

Thank you.

There are 3 main causes for this issue that I am aware of. Are you sure that you have the correct cia pack this can be caused by trying to use o3ds FW on n3ds and vice versa. Secondly are you using a Mac to transfer the files to your sd card? The Mac will write system files [.ds_store etc] into the folder when you copy the cia's to it causing the installation to fail. If it isn't either of those things it's likely that the hax didn't work properly and it couldn't get access to the services it needed to. In which case restart or close the app [L + R + Down + B] and try again.

Bunie

#1 Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about Error 0xD900182F?
"Failed to get CIA file info!". Tried everything anyone recommends, different SD Cards, different hax entry points, nothing works for me.

powersaver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Santaros. I accidentally downgraded my 10.3.0-28U NN3DS NON-XL following this http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-downgrade-3ds-with-sysupdater.407924/ starting 3DS-FTP prior and so far it worked and didn't have to try booting more than once.
There are 3 main causes for this issue that I am aware of. Are you sure that you have the correct cia pack this can be caused by trying to use o3ds FW on n3ds and vice versa. Secondly are you using a Mac to transfer the files to your sd card? The Mac will write system files [.ds_store etc] into the folder when you copy the cia's to it causing the installation to fail. If it isn't either of those things it's likely that the hax didn't work properly and it couldn't get access to the services it needed to. In which case restart or close the app [L + R + Down + B] and try again.

Last edited by powersaver,

Cha0tic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it certainly is, just have a read of the first post to find out what you need to do, and I would optionally recommend reading through the thread a bit if you are at all unsure of what you are doing. Please note that currently n3ds seems to run into a lot more hassle using the downgrade, you may want to wait a little and see if something more stable comes along, the choice is yours.

Thanks for the reply man, I would ideally like to downgrade just so I can use gateway. I had it on my spare 3ds but sold
The card and 3ds. Really miss Pokemon neo x and y.
I saw gateway will as well be supporting that fw soon.

I'm curious what downgrading and using browserhax will do. For example if I have a cia of let's say monster hunter I could install it with a cia installer?

TheShadowRunner

I'm like you, I have no name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just downgraded my jpn n3ds and it put me on 9.1 lol

I downgraded my Japanese new3ds small edition, did indeed delete the CA00 CIA and used the 9.2 downgrade from that good ol' 3ds ice-o site. It downgraded to 9.1.0-20J. Not a problem but worth noting?

This is perfectly normal, and fine.
Everyone who downgraded a N3DS got to 9.1J.
9.2J from that is o site and duowan thread is in fact a mislabeled 9.1J.
A "real" 9.2J is nowhere to be found or the files were never saved before N pulled them offline.

Last edited by TheShadowRunner,
Reactions: Tmu

tomazzzi

Trophies
XP
Country
What about Error 0xD900182F?
"Failed to get CIA file info!". Tried everything anyone recommends, different SD Cards, different hax entry points, nothing works for me.

I have exactly the same problem.

I was able to downgrade one of my o3ds just fine with the same files.

Any idea ?

RICEMAN113

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my 3ds bricked...stuck in black screen, recovery mode dont work.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

fixed it sorta... just gotta boot without sd card and cant use system settings and gateway exploit because it freezes system with sd card in

Last edited by RICEMAN113,
Reactions: hirvimies
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol stremio hogging all of my tvs on board ram
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just download more Ram to it, or setup Raid666 on it.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Just download more Ram to it, or setup Raid666 on it.