Tutorial Simple Guide to Downgrading your 3DS

Have you been able to successfully downgrade your 3DS/2DS?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Santaros

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the reply man, I would ideally like to downgrade just so I can use gateway. I had it on my spare 3ds but sold
The card and 3ds. Really miss Pokemon neo x and y.
I saw gateway will as well be supporting that fw soon.

I'm curious what downgrading and using browserhax will do. For example if I have a cia of let's say monster hunter I could install it with a cia installer?

You would use browserhax as an entrypoint to be able to launch homebrew [and if you wanted install things such as Menuhax]. The browser can also be used as an entrypoint to install CFW which would then allow you to use something like FBI to install cia.

This thread worked well for me: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-complete-custom-firmware-guide.396349/

my 3ds bricked...stuck in black screen, recovery mode dont work.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

fixed it sorta... just gotta boot without sd card and not open apps with sd card in

The reason that your 3ds isn't working with the sd card in, is that you had Menuhax & it's trying to load the newer exploit you had on the FW before and doesn't like it. To fix it boot the 3ds without the sd card, then switch the theme to clear out the Menuhax data, and you are all set.

Last edited by Santaros,

Pengy99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am to the point where I have the 9.2 files and sysupdater on my SD card in the o3ds. When looking at sysupdater in the homebrew launcher it is listed as sysupdater.3dsx, has no icon (just a ? mark), and unknown publisher. It does appear to work but when I was watching a video on this that guys sysupdater had an icon and publisher so it has me a little concerned. It was downloaded from this post.

EDIT: Guess I am a little slow. I didn't put the sysupdater files in a folder inside the 3DS folder. After putting them in a folder name sysUpdater the icon and publisher showed correctly. Also, 9.2U downgrade went flawlessly.

Last edited by Pengy99,

RICEMAN113

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats weird mine had the same thing in the vid, maybe you can try deleting it and re downloading just to be safe

mbgb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Success! Turns out my problem was that I was working with the SD card on a Mac. OS X was putting a bunch of junk hidden files in the Updates directory which was causing SysUpdater to fail. I opened up the SD Card on a Windows machine, deleted the junk files, and then the downgrade worked on the very next try. Everything is working flawlessly now, thanks for the awesome tutorial!

Old 3DS XL on 10.2.0-28U, downgraded to 9.2, then updated the EMUNAND only back up to RX-E 10.2.0-28U and left the SYSNAND at 9.2.

Last edited by mbgb,

fraggerman91

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well i was greedy and tried to downgrade my o3ds to 4.5 >.< The installation went fine for the most part but then suddenly crashed to an error screen and now I am holding a brick. Recovery mode won't boot either... any solutions?

sedatbjk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Successfully downgraded my N3DS (E) 10.3 -> 9.2

-> Formetted system memory
-> Formatted SD card using "SDFormatter" (Quick format - No size adj. thing)
-> Copied starter pack and other files (for homemenuhax) (With teracopy)
-> Copied updates folder (With teracopy)
-> Run homemenuhax v2.1 and installed it (R button as trigger)
-> Run Ftpbrony and quit
-> Run sysupdater (Latest version i think - it does not have 1 to 8 list)
-> Pressed "Y"
-> It took about 3-4 minutes
-> Rebooted into 9.2 (Without need of removing SD card)

Reactions: TheShadowRunner

fraggerman91

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
did u have themhax or anything like that
I installed Browserhax, used that to install Menuhax 2.1. Then I started the Sysupdater and chose (y)Downgrade to downgrade to 4.5. It installed a couple of cias then crashed to "An unknown Error has occured. Please turn off your 3ds by holding the power button and try again." Did that after waiting for some time and now I only get a black screen.

*Edit: oh i have owerwritten the L Button with the menuhax loader... is that the problem?

Last edited by fraggerman91,

undead098

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
for everyone who getting error "Failed to get CIA file info!".
try delete sysupdater.cia and sysupdater_debug.elf at root sd. (it is in 0.4.2b package)
in other word. only use anything in 3ds folder. (just as described in tutorial at first page)

success downgrading 10.x.x.x-u (i forgot) to 9.2.0-20u

RICEMAN113

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed Browserhax, used that to install Menuhax 2.1. Then I started the Sysupdater and chose (y)Downgrade to downgrade to 4.5. It installed a couple of cias then crashed to "An unknown Error has occured. Please turn off your 3ds by holding the power button and try again." Did that after waiting for some time and now I only get a black screen.

Just making sure, you downloaded the 4.5 for your 3ds region right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Spend 50 hours playing the game