Hardware *sigh* Broken my Wii - please help

wiigiveup

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

I've come across you all from googling for the last hour, and I keep coming back to this forum, so I'm guessing you guys are in the know.

Firstly, before you berate me more than I have done myself - I'm a girl...... that should pretty much sum up everything for you
smile.gif

Basically, I tried to play Sonic Colours the other day, but it wouldn't work, and after getting a replacement, that wouldn't work either, so I decided that as my Wii hadn't connected to an Internet for a much needed update since ohhhhhh, January 2009?? (I know, I know!) I brought it to my parents to try to connect to their wireless.

Wouldn't connect to the wireless, so the idiotic witch inside me thought, "I know, lets format the wii system memory and get rid of ALL previous connection settings" yes, I know you want to stop reading and throw the laptop at me, but please carry on....

It said along the lines of yada yada yada, "your wii will now shut down" which it did... trouble is it never came back again. I get a black screen, which I think is the pre-loader? It says home brew channel (which yes, I always thought was to do with making your own beer when it was on the screen.... sorry!) I've come across some previous posts about boot.dol and Wii scrubber and Wii system manager, and tried one of these how to's here http://gbatemp.net/t146005-wii-system-menu...eared?&st=0 because thats what mine shows, but I can't make it work. Yes, I've downloaded wii-scrubber and I might as well be talking to a little man in Japan......

Does anyone have a simplistic 'woman version' of how I can fix it, or is it just a case of finding a local shop that can fix it?

I hope I've at least given everyone a laugh. Next time I think of what to do with my kids, I'll just go in the kitchen and make a bloody huge floury mess of everything.

Any help appreciated, even if it's just telling me where to send it to be fixed - or just chuck it and buy an XBox kinect......

Thanks!
smile.gif

Steph

Aijelsop

Question Asker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You probably have no hope. I'm assuming you have preloader? Try booting the HBC. If not try booting system menu. If it won't work, your screwed.

Matthew

Trophies
XP
Country
1. Check what happens if you select System Menu (if it loads(id doubt) we can fix it)
2. Check what happens if you select Homebrew Channel (if it loads we can fix it)
3. What happens if you power on while holding down reset?
4. We can use Bootmii option if you have a nand backup (it will delete most/all of your saves)
5. I dont know what install file does but it may help

If all else fails you can try savemii, asking deadlyfoez(although your wii will need to be shipped to the states) or sending it to nintendo. Unfortunately all of these will cost you money

Aijelsop

Question Asker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Install file let's you install a .dol and make it as the boot up. (when you boot your Wii it will load that .dol file.) try installing bootmii and boot up your wii ( make sure the installed file is set to boot in settings)

Nintendo_Chick

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I hope having kids won't make me that stupid...

I highly doubt she has a nand backup, or even knows what that is.

The black screen is preloader. Try to access the system menu, by selecting it and pressing A (if I really need to be explaining that to you, then I don't even have a joke about how stupid you are.) If it works, next time you boot your wii go to settings on preloader, and change all the boot options to system menu.

If that doesn't work, try to load the homebrew channel, If that works, then you need to reinstall the system menu. I would use Anyregion changer

If that doesn't work, put the hackmii installer (the boot.elf file) on the root of your sd card then go to load/install file. Then go back to the previous step.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I've been up for about 30 hours (long uninteresting story.) Then just take someone else's advice.

wiigiveup

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Matthew said:
1. Check what happens if you select System Menu (if it loads(id doubt) we can fix it)
2. Check what happens if you select Homebrew Channel (if it loads we can fix it)
3. What happens if you power on while holding down reset?
4. We can use Bootmii option if you have a nand backup (it will delete most/all of your saves)
5. I dont know what install file does but it may help

If all else fails you can try savemii, asking deadlyfoez(although your wii will need to be shipped to the states) or sending it to nintendo. Unfortunately all of these will cost you money

1 - "Error autobooting systemmenu! Ticket not Found!"
2 - Says something about file not found
3 - I just get to the preloader screen
4 - As the previous posters said - I'm blatantly too dumb to know what it means, but can pretty much guess that no I don't have a NAND backup

Well, you live and learn... going to follow the most helpful instructions I've had so far.... pick up console... walk out to black bin... open black bin... deposit 'brick'

Thank you Matthew and Aijelsop appreciate it!

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
If Preloader is still intact then surely she can install a file and run it, aka MMM or similar app? Can maintenance mode be entered (press +, - & A after switch on)

Gamer chick needs help, come on dudes!!!

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
If you can still get to preloader. As said, either install something or boot the homebrew channel.
I am not 100% sure what you need to do but I know basically what you need to do.

If you updated, it will have updated your system to the latest system menu which is version 4.3.
Now, preloader modifies your original system menu so as to boot from it before entering the system menu. This is why your system was unable to update the system menu file (ios).

What you need to do is get preloader uninstalled and install the correct system menu.

This can probably all be acheived by using Dop-Mii, but using Mod-Mii you can probably get it to talk you through what you need step by step.
Check out the uninstalling preloader guides. What you need to do is just reinstall your system menu and with preloader still available you should be able to recover this fine.

Whoever you got to hack your wii in the beginning, if they gave you a backup, you could just restore the backup from bootmii which you could access via preloader.

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
zizer said:
it is bad if you delete sys menu ios .....
Nobody deleted or mentioned deleting the sys menu ios so don't know where you got that from.
Her system menu is not installed correctly due to priiloader being on when updating.
Uninstall priiloader, install correct relevant ios' then bang, all back to normal

bazamuffin

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Donkey Plonk said:
zizer said:
it is bad if you delete sys menu ios .....
Nobody deleted or mentioned deleting the sys menu ios so don't know where you got that from.
Her system menu is not installed correctly due to priiloader being on when updating.
Uninstall priiloader, install correct relevant ios' then bang, all back to normal

I think the sysmenu part went wrong in the update as Priiloader is still intact, installation of sysmenu wad normally overwrites this. Based on that, I would probably say install and run MMM. Obviously check which system menu you have/want and ensure that you have a functioning IOS and not a stub for that menu. Re-installtion of Priiloader will have to be done

bazamuffin

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
zizer said:
let's see what will happen if he removes priiloeder and receive a full brick ... joke

Would be foolish if its the only functioning thing, which is why I suggested MMM. If a re-installation of sysmenu takes place then while still in MMM, priiloader could be re-installed. Reomoval before doing anything would be just stupid

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not saying go ahead and do this right away OP.

BUT, wouldn't the logical thing to do be to just launch dop mii and reinstall ios80? and possibly 70 (is that what sys menu 4.2 is on or whichever below it may need updating).

As priiloader is still booting, then the system isn't pointing to the correct ios is it? I thought priiloader installed itself in the system menu IOS before it boots?

If you guys know something I don't here please do say but I don't see why that shouldn't work.

Before attempting anything though I would be making a nand dump

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
bazamuffin said:
Gamer chick needs help, come on dudes!!!
Actually, I love how women beat themselves up like this. It would be a waste to "just" solve it.
evil.gif

But on a serious note...I haven't seen mentioned that preloader had a menu where the wiimotes wouldn't connect. To navigate and make selections, you needed a gamecube controller. So if the menu doesn't seem to do anything: plug in a GC controller and use that to navigate. Might not be the cheapest option, but still better than throwing a not-quite-bricked yet wii.
(after that, go with the MMM option bazamuffin mentioned).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: I have a number of geriatric relatives.