Should pokemon go use the classic battle system?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Yil, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Yil
    OP

Yil GBAtemp Addict

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    I for one disagree because pokemon battles are too complicated.

2. iAqua

iAqua GBAtemp Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    iAqua is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Antarctica
    They arent really conplicated at all...

3. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    "I have to think a little bit so they're too complicated! I don't wanna have to use my BRAIN when playing vidyagaymes!"

_v3 and iAqua like this.
  4. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Well they do have games for that, street fighter..... and stuff, but Pokemon isn't a TURN YOUR BRAIN OFF kinda game. NO JRPG HAS THAT MENTALITY. So if you don't like it don't play it. Right? Go play one of the many button masher games or simple swipe tilt and shake games.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  5. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    I'd like to think so, at least if you are somewhat serious about pokemon. Taking hours apon hours to breed, have good/perfect IV's/EV's, good movesets and items and figuring out what pokemon work good with each other, at least in doubles. If you are used to pokemon battling then you might not think it's complicated.

6. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Well i guess he means by the idea of getting from start to finish, but not hardcore playing like do every side quest, get all pokemon, get best stats and such...

Basic pokemon is you catch one, train it and battle trainers. Selecting which move and weakness is a opinion base complex as some don't remember every single one and may forget while risking powerful attacks with low accuracy, and managing which pokemon needs traning for next battles with the idea of all those things is a matter of opinion.

Basically is a JRPG and every JRPG require strategy regardless of if you wanna think or not. I guess in that case, you could maybe get by just mashing the first attack command in every fight if you overpower your pokemon against other trainers. :P

cvskid and Tomato Hentai like this.
  7. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    The battles would take too long things are fine the way they are now

Sonic Angel Knight likes this.
  8. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    If you already don't like this, don't bother with card battle based games, Then you really have a problem with using your brains, Pokemon TCG Yu-Gi-Oh!! :P

9. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    Hell yeah it should! It would probably become a *decent* game. Pokemon GO in its current state is kind of trash. Add REAL Pokemon battles (the "classical" way) and with nearby trainers (not just gyms). Add a trading feature, then maybe I'll give Pokemon GO another try.
    Also, use the regular leveling and evolution system. The way it works right now is pretty stupid.

For now I'll just continue playing Omega Ruby, a real Pokemon game.

10. GalladeGuy

GalladeGuy Freeze Kirby :3

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Playing fighting games requires even more brain power than RPGs in a lot of cases. They aren't just button mashers.

To answer the question, yes, I do think they should use the normal battle system for Pokemon Go.

11. Yil
    OP

Yil GBAtemp Addict

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    No, I like most pokemon games and the spin-offs but it is too complicated for a smartphone game. I don't want to destroy a kid's dreams.
    It takes me almost a year to learn advanced strategies and look at how easily people can take care of the best npcs with little effort, while them posing a challenge to people not so familiar.

Last edited by Yil, Aug 6, 2016
  12. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Well sorry, i had misunderstood your comment then. If you had just said "I agree with the idea pokemon go should use battle system in the pokemon games like on gameboy" would been clearly to understand.

13. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    So your cool with waiting 5 min+ to take a gym?

14. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Also i know fighting games have more importance to knowledge but it doesn't mean is necessary to play it or have fun, is necessary if you want to be Good at it. But again, people play fighting games for different reasons, most people playing them are for to see all the cool stuff that happens when the press button combinations, as oppose to hard core fans who want to be good and find it satisfying to know every little thing and beat every other player.

15. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    Sure. It won't even feel like 5 minutes since I'll actually be having fun!
    What's so fun about swiping your screen to take a gym? No effort. You didn't deserve that gym.

16. XavyrrVaati

XavyrrVaati Hobbyist programmer?

Feb 23, 2014
    United States
    If it has a real battle system, then I might actually play. And it would be even better if you battled wild Pokemon too. Then it would be a real GPS Pokemon game, not the typical mobile swiping garbage it is now.

Tomato Hentai and Supster131 like this.
  17. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    YES! I want the classic battle system. My wife and I were expecting it and yet it was not found upon launch. Catching Pokémon is pointless if you can't battle them.

18. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    You missed the point 5 minute battles with 100+ people attacking the same gym wont work no one will get prestige or pokecoins.

19. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    If I wanted the classic system for battling I would just use a GBA emulator like MyBoy and play Emerald or FireRed on my phone for my mobile pokemon cravings (which is what I actually do).

Tomato Hentai, frogboy and Lacius like this.
  20. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    I think Pokémon Go should have been as much like the conventional games as possible. Battle system, trading system, move system, Pokémon level-up system, evolution system, breeding system, etc.