Should i use a guide to play castlevania 2?

Xdqwerty

Im bored (he/she/they)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Im playing that game with the retranslation and a guide, and i already got dracula's heart, but i dont know if its right to play that way

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Castlevania 2 has no difficulty worth mentioning compared to the two other Castlevania titles on NES (or most other games on the system).

Problem is the cryptic stuff. Without proper hints it is basically impossible to find out what to do and where to go. I've not played any romhacks or retranslations so no idea if they are self-explanatory.

The original game is too cryptic in any case.
CV 2 lacks any bosses worth mentioning (including no real final boss). The game looks like an ambitious project that was rushed to production while still in beta phase.

Try memorizing the correct route and beat the game in very few day/night cycles on second play through for best ending (grinding for hearts and experience inside the mansions/dungeons uses no in-game time).

Good luck.
p.s.
CV III Dracula's Curse is a way harder game (no cryptic nonsense though).
Notable is the official trailer of the Virtual Console version. Before the video even starts, it plays the "You just died"-sound during the Virtual Console logo. That sums up the game pretty well.

===========
Edit:
I love the Castlevania series and got most of them pretty cheap. Especially the third game is hard to obtain (legally) nowadays. Wish I had the original packaging of the first game.

DSC00006.JPG

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

Xdqwerty

Im bored (he/she/they)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
well comparing the retranslated script to the official script i see its not too cryptic compared to the official translation, tough i still use a guide just in case

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im playing that game with the retranslation and a guide, and i already got dracula's heart, but i dont know if its right to play that way
I 1000% suggest a guide for this game. This is one of the most cryptic games I have ever played. Having random moments like equiping a specific set of items, going to a certain part of the map, and crouching, and waiting 5 seconds. With extremely little guidance to tell you to do this.

Reactions: zfreeman

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I usually play the Simon's Redaction hack. It de-mystifies the hints and adds quality of life features such as fast day/night transitions. However, some people consider it to be far too easy like this, so I'm not sure whether I should recommend it or not.

Xdqwerty

Im bored (he/she/they)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I usually play the Simon's Redaction hack. It de-mystifies the hints and adds quality of life features such as fast day/night transitions. However, some people consider it to be far too easy like this, so I'm not sure whether I should recommend it or not.
im playing bisqwit's retranslation

captain_obvious

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The "right" way to play is subjective. I personally prefer playing the game as the developers intended and only using mods which improve technical performance or remove censorship. There are exceptions though and if I ever play Castlevania II I will use a guide.

EchoStorm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing that isn't properly explained is that you need to use the oak stakes on the (statues?) at the end of the mansions to get the body parts and if you reach a dead end you can try kneeling with an upgraded crystal. you should be able to figure out the rest. one of my all time favorite games, had it back in like 1988.
if you want to play a remake, I suggest Castlevania Chronicles II from WarMachine Studios which is still being developed.
c7666d15f17a99937cb4a3e13c0962212b4ac8f1-1393x788.jpg

Last edited by EchoStorm,
Reactions: Xdqwerty

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1