Hacking Should I upgrade my firmware from 3.0.1 to 5.0.2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

declantm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Hi Folks,

Just wondering should I upgrade my firmware from 3.0.1 to 5.0.2? I heard from a YouTube user called Skullator that there might be a softmod coming out that will not require a joypad jig for lower firmware, I'd prefer this solution as I'd rather not hack together my own jig or use a paperclip. I'm also worried that a new firmware update from Nintendo might find a way to make it more difficult to install CFW.

Thanks for your opinions on this.

masterspike52

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's really up to your preference of how your going to access the cfw, if you dont mind putting some sort of effort into it and play online then yes update if you want to put minimal effort into it and only play online with Emunand and hope you don't get banned then no don't update

Naxster

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
So just because a guy from YouTube said something, you are going to listen to him?
He is not the developer of the CFW, why should you listen to him?
It's like saying that if break your Nintendo Switch in half you MIGHT find a surprise inside it.

EDIT: Just so you know, I also have a 3.0.1, and I won't update it.

Last edited by Naxster,
Reactions: bomigoton

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm on 4.1. Yes the wait is long and heavy but I hope it will pay in the near future. Online isn't as good as to have many homebrew and backups, in my opinion.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I REALLY TOUGH WE WERE DONE WITH THESE KINDA OF THREADS!
Answer got a little easier with the team xecuter teaser video. Lets do maybe five of those, then see how it feels, and if we want to be exploited by SERVICE (not opinion) seekers, still.

Do you want to play online ?
If no, don't update
This is basically the right answer. Lower Firmwares up to 4.1.0 (1.0.0 being even better) have a path towards "dongle and jig free" CFW, although we dont know "when exactly" or "how long the boot time into CFW" will be. Everyone will get a "near current" CFW in about a month (or two) to play games - offline.

So the current answer arguably is "watch the team xecuter video" not for the product, but for the concept ("what you would have to do - every time you "boot up the Switch" (resuming from standby doesnt require it)") - and ask yourself if what you see seems worth to you - over "loosing online", but maybe getting a jig and dongle free solution in the future (that probably depends on a browser hack (so needs Wifi).

Why - do you "loose online", if you choose to go for the second method (staying on lower firmware)?

Because you are on an old base firmware that cant go online - and we all presume, that "whatever CFW you are booting into" - Nintendo will detect, and eventually ban people that use CFW. So online always should require using the "unhacked" firmware that is on the Switch, which in one case is "current" and in the other case is "up to 4.1.0" (and therefore cant go online).

1.0.0 users have a chance of getting a faster, non Wifi related way to boot into CFW int the future.

Also - don't go opinion hunting "which one sentence do people tell me most". Not all people in here are necessarily what you would call informed.

edit: Modchips might be "the best of both worlds" in the future but none have been announced. Also maybe there will be "godhacks" in software only, that allow you to *snip your fingers and have it all* but currently - none are on the horizon, and they are not necessarily likely. :)

edit2: The jig and dongle free "software only" solutions, for up to 4.1.0, to boot into CFW - might be released later than the "dongle and jig" thingies (of which there will be clones), so it might be important to note that - dongle and jig work on old firmwares as well. But you are staying on older firmwares at this point to have a chance of getting "rid of them" (eventually).
(Without an (unannounced) potential modchip, but via a software hack)
At the expense, of "not being able to participate in online or the eshop."

edit3: Online (very likely) only with games you actually bought. In case you are a filthy pirate. Unless Nintendo is lethargic.

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: declantm
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1