Hacking Question Should I update to 12.0.1 firmware or stay on 11.0.1?

RevolverTexture

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4 days ago I got RCM jig so I injected biskeydump.bin payload and it worked, in 8 days I'm about to buy 128GB micro SDXC but Nintendo released 12.0.1 firmware and new games, updates and patches for them will require 12.0.1 firmware, for example admin from nsw2u 3 hours ago uploaded 1.10.0 update for Animal Crossing: New Horizons that needs 12.0.1 in order to launch. Since I haven't modified my Switch yet, should I update it to 12.0.1 or stay on 11.0.1?

Last edited by RevolverTexture,
D

Deleted User

just update to the latest firmware. Atmosphere + sigpatches are up and working for 12.0.1

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Some homebrew still have issues on 12.x and this is the first update / game I have heard that require 12.x. It should be possible to patch the upgrade to run under older firmware versions so that could be an option. But in the long run at some point we need to update.

What I am trying to say is that for now there is no reason for me to update so I wait. But if you want the latest games with the latest updates and don't use much homebrew then it might be better to just upgrade. It's a decision each person must take themselves.

Reactions: C7XL
D

Deleted User

Some homebrew still have issues on 12.x and this is the first update / game I have heard that require 12.x. It should be possible to patch the upgrade to run under older firmware versions so that could be an option. But in the long run at some point we need to update.

What I am trying to say is that for now there is no reason for me to update so I wait. But if you want the latest games with the latest updates and don't use much homebrew then it might be better to just upgrade. It's a decision each person must take themselves.
Homebrew < Game updates
I dont know what else to tell you. You can always complain to the creator to fix their homebrew app to support the new changes that were made. The only thing I need is just a tool that backup and restore save files. 12.0.1 got Bluetooth support with homebrew. Thats one of the best thing that was ever added to the switch in so long. You can always have a emuMMC. If you're banned, use sysMMC for your games while keeping it on the latest firmware. Use emuMMC for homebrew while keeping it on firmware 11.X.X or below

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Like I wrote the needs are different for each of us. I have EmuMMC on 11.0.1 for CFW and use SysMMC for OFW. Currently that is still on 11.0.1 but I will update it to 12.0 1 before long. But EmuMMC stay on 11.0.1 until I see the need to update.

C7XL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can stay as low as possible for the firmware if you want, it’s just that some new games would require updated firmware in the future.

I updated my OFW to 12.0.1 just the other day and had it all set-up for a new emuMMC. Encountered some issues like forwarders not working since AMS 19.0 so I rolled back to 10.2.0.

Reactions: spriteice

RevolverTexture

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So can I do a NAND backup with Hekate then update to 12.0.1 firmware and if I will have any issue with the newest firmware, I will be able to restore 11.0.1 from NAND backup?

Last edited by RevolverTexture,

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
So can I do a NAND backup with Hekate then update to 12.0.1 firmware and if I will have any issue with the newest firmware, I will be able to restore 11.0.1 from NAND backup?
Yes you can do that HOWEVER...

If you want to do this on SysMMC and you go online on the new firmware you risk a ban if you downgrade because that is not officially possible.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I update the latest sigpatches with the latest atmosphere version but I am not updating to fw 12.01 yet because there is no new games that interested me at all. If you like the latest games then you should.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4 days ago I got RCM jig so I injected biskeydump.bin payload and it worked, in 8 days I'm about to buy 128GB micro SDXC but Nintendo released 12.0.1 firmware and new games, updates and patches for them will require 12.0.1 firmware, for example admin from nsw2u 3 hours ago uploaded 1.10.0 update for Animal Crossing: New Horizons that needs 12.0.1 in order to launch. Since I haven't modified my Switch yet, should I update it to 12.0.1 or stay on 11.0.1?
I highly doubt there are any updates that require the latest firmware or at the very least cannot be patched to work on lower firmware versions.

redhatux

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Duvido muito que existam atualizações que exijam o firmware mais recente ou, no mínimo, não possam ser corrigidas para trabalhar em versões de firmware mais baixas. [/CITAÇÃO]
Sexta-feira 13 v 458752 lançado ontem, por exemplo, requer firmware 12.0.0.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ