Should I trust someone on Ebay who just joined?

Zero72463

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so someone put up a deal to get an item half its original price. I mean it looks legit. Not too much information. 2 Pictures and a brief statement claiming he only used the product once and its fine. He joined very recently. Do you think its a scam or someone trying to start selling stuff? I mean I am protected by Ebay so if it is a scam I can get my money back. Do you think I should go for it? BTW I am paying with PayPal so I am getting more protection.

Last edited by Zero72463,

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I mean, everybody have to start at zero, right? Since PayPal got your back, I would try it. If they end up a scammer, give them a negative rating so that people see they are up to no good. The only thing I would worry about is your own rating. If you are a seller and have a 100% satisfaction rating, I would think thrice if it's worth it to risk it.

Zero72463

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, everybody have to start at zero, right? Since PayPal got your back, I would try it. If they end up a scammer, give them a negative rating so that people see they are up to no good. The only thing I would worry about is your own rating. If you are a seller and have a 100% satisfaction rating, I would think thrice if it's worth it to risk it.

I don't sell anything (yet). Since I don't I guess I will go for it. Thanks!
Also I have messaged them multiple times they haven't answered. I guess in the end either I get it or not. What do I have to lose?

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I don't sell anything (yet). Since I don't I guess I will go for it. Thanks!
Also I have messaged them multiple times they haven't answered. I guess in the end either I get it or not. What do I have to lose?
Well if they don't reply they are 99% a scammer. You may as well save your time with them.

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

Zero72463

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if they don't reply they are 99% a scammer. You may as well save your time with them.

Why wouldn't they respond? I am offering more money to get it shipped earlier. I don't think a scammer would let that go.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Think I should search up pictures of the product to make sure he didn't fake it?

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Why wouldn't they respond? I am offering more money to get it shipped earlier. I don't think a scammer would let that go.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Think I should search up pictures of the product to make sure he didn't fake it?
If they think not even a minute of their time is worth it to reply your messages, do you think they would take their time ship stuff to you?

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

Zero72463

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it looks too good to be true, it normally is. This rule applies to all accounts of all ages.

I won't tell you what the product is. Lets say a game was around $100. This guy started a bid at around $30. Either he is a scammer or he actually thought people would bid on his product.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh, this is how I got ripped off through Amazon. A "just launched" seller, who deserves to be outed, "ju video game," had a black N3DS XL for just $100. Too good to be true, but I didn't want someone else to nab it, so I bought it. October 13 was when I bought it, supposedly it shipped a couple days later, delivery date was between October 20 to November 4. It's November 6, I haven't gotten the 3DS. Worst of all, going to his profile, recently people have left feedback with the same issues, their stuff not arriving, thus this person is a scammer. Similarly enough, this person has not responded to any e-mail. I've called Amazon on the matter, said to wait 24-48 hours for a response. Tomorrow would be 48 hours, I know the seller won't respond, so I hope to get a legitimate case going, and get my money back.

So in terms of eBay, I bet it's similar, only look for trusted sellers with positive feedback.

Zero72463

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this guy does support PayPal. That could mean he isn't trying to scam considering PayPal always finds a way to get your money back if you get swindled. So does Ebay. That could be a thumbs up for me. (The guy also lives in the U.S)
Everyone starts somewhere right?

Oh yeah he also has a MPN. This could be very real. If he has the MPN he must have the product. Hopefully he doesn't do a shipping scam like what happened to @RustInPeace

Last edited by Zero72463,

Zero72463

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got off Ebay support they checked the account and the item. They said they would hold my payment until the seller ships the product and if its a scam shipment I can get my money back. I am gonna go for it.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No no no no no, don't ever.
If no one ever bought from a new seller then literally no items would be sold.

So long as the money you spend on it isn't taking the place of your groceries or various other bills, and you can live without it, the worst case scenario is you have to wait to get your money back. The best case scenario is that you got a really good deal.

Zero72463

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If no one ever bought from a new seller then literally no items would be sold.

So long as the money you spend on it isn't taking the place of your groceries or various other bills, and you can live without it, the worst case scenario is you have to wait to get your money back. The best case scenario is that you got a really good deal.

Don't worry I survive off of McDonalds. jk Yeah I will still have enough like I said this is a good deal. Anyways thanks for the help guys! Hopefully if this is real I can give this guy a good review and help him sell more items! I am all protected! :P

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Always be skeptical of such things. Since PayPal is skewed towards the buyer, you'll probably turn out fine either way, but you should assume it's a fake listing. Hopefully though, whatever you purchased turns out to be the exception, rather than the rule.

Reactions: Zero72463

Zero72463

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Always be skeptical of such things. Since PayPal is skewed towards the buyer, you'll probably turn out fine either way, but you should assume it's a fake listing. Hopefully though, whatever you purchased turns out to be the exception, rather than the rule.

Well Ebay guaranteed that once the seller ships my money will get sent. They also said if it was fake shipping or a fake product they would refund me. So I am good. Wish me luck!

Reactions: Chary

Enigma Hall

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I sugest you to record the opening of the package with a cam if you want to prove they sent you a rock or cigarretes.
Anyway, if this money will not be a great loss then you should think about a bet and accept if you lose.

Zero72463

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sugest you to record the opening of the package with a cam if you want to prove they sent you a rock or cigarretes.
Anyway, if this money will not be a great loss then you should think about a bet and accept if you lose.

I will keep that in mind. Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.