Hacking should i stick or move on

mikejacobs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i couldn't find the answer to this question while reading stickies.

'what's the real point of updating?'

i'm running 3.2U and the usb loader and my friend said i should update to 4.2.

i asked him 'why?' and he couldn't answer.

i don't need the sd card loading feature.

should i still update to 4.2? because even the new games seem to be working fine on my 3.2U and the usb loader.

screamq3

Trophies
XP
Country
if games are working fine, then stay as you are m8
smile.gif
no reason to upgrade

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
mikejacobs said:
ok.. so i'm not being 'out-dated', am i?
and then why is everybody moving on to 4.2 here?
The only thing you could win from 4.2 is the SD card menu, which you said you don't need

And you have USB loader, so all games work

Conclusion: don't fix what ain't broken

wyndcrosser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because some games (without having to screw around with patches, combined isos, etc.) require 4.2. I prefer to not have to figure out through posts how to make games work, when Rev14 and 4.2FW basically allows me to play every game.

It's just like a PSP or Xbox 360, if you have the ability to upgrade, why not?

The SD menu is completely worth it btw.

Wynd

0M39A

Trophies
XP
Country
wyndcrosser said:
Because some games (without having to screw around with patches, combined isos, etc.) require 4.2. I prefer to not have to figure out through posts how to make games work, when Rev14 and 4.2FW basically allows me to play every game.

Wynd

what games require 4.2?

hell, what games require more than 3.4?

as already said, if you like staying on 3.2, and you use usbloader, then there is no explicit reason to change.

i stayed on 3.2 for a long time, and the only real reason i updated to 4.1 was the sd menu (which i never use now due to triiforce), and to use darkwii extended theme (which wasnt available for 3.2 at the time). pretty petty reasons
tongue.gif

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
0M39A said:
wyndcrosser said:

Wynd

what games require 4.2?

hell, what games require more than 3.4?

as already said, if you like staying on 3.2, and you use usbloader, then there is no explicit reason to change.

i stayed on 3.2 for a long time, and the only real reason i updated to 4.1 was the sd menu (which i never use now due to triiforce), and to use darkwii extended theme (which wasnt available for 3.2 at the time). pretty petty reasons
tongue.gif

I don't think there are any games that require more than 3.4. There is a bug fix in 4.1, that fixes a very minor issue with Wii Sports Resort.

The main reason to update is SDHC and the ability to load/store Wiiware on SD cards. IMO it's totally worth to up to at least 4.0 just for the SD stuff, but if you don't care about Wiiware or SD cards larger than 4GB, there is no reason to update.

0M39A

Trophies
XP
Country
homebrew supports sdhc cards without having to update, just incase anyone gets the wrong idea.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the reason i downgrade to 3.2 all my Wiis is because the system menu sees trucha signed games ok. if i load(flatmii because no system menu plays burned games) a custom made game in 3.4, the system menu freaks out and gives the "an error has occurred..." screen. if i load that same game in 3.2 then it works fine. i dont give a shit about the sd card menu.

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
4.2 sucks and meaningless. i upgraded to check what changes would it do to my wii...yeah my wii changed alright, it made my usb loading unstable for reasons i do not know...so i return to 4.1.

just stay at 3.2...

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
wyndcrosser said:

Wynd
Using a USBLoader means it doesn't matter what Firmware you have as the update partition is scrubbed out. So long as the cIOS is on Rev9 or later. I am still on 3.2U and Rev 9 and have yet to come across a game I cant play. He already said he doesn't need the SD menu.....
Rev 14 and 4.2 can play every game? Isn't SSBB DL a problem?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @ZeroT21, not yet