Hacking Should I Overpay for a EZ Flash 4 or go with Alternatives?

• Thread starter scottg1234
  • Start date
  • Views 5,782
  • Replies 52

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
That's right! Put the Passcard2 in Slot-1 and the M3CF in Slot-2 so you can play NDS roms on your NDS/NDS Lite. ;)

Have you ever played GBA roms on your TV with a M3CF plugged into a Game Cube using the GBA Player?

Not in 480p I haven't. You don't happen to have gamecube component cables for sale? :P

S

scottg1234

DS flash carts other than the Supercard DSTwo do not have a processor in the cart, so do not get the speed boost that the GBA emulator for DSTwo gets
Even the DSTwo emulator is not full speed/perfect by any means, so other GBA emulators that run on other DS flash carts are worse.

If you mean using just an R4 then its not a 'slot 2 function', that would imply it is running the GBA code directly. It is an emualtor running in DS mode and the DS is not a very powerful host to emualte other systems on.
If you mean an R4 and something like a EZ-Flash 3-in-1 in slot 2 then the ROMs are running directly just like an original GBA game in a DS, so that is pretty much perfect.

The fact that you use the term 'near perfect' suggests you care to play them accurately, so it sounds like you're going to want a GBA flash cart or a platform that can emulate GBA pretty well.

Here is what I was talking about:

http://www.r4i-sdhc.com/aboute.asp

R4i-SDHC it says "no need to flash. built-in launch slot-2 (gba) function"

I thought that meant I could just play GBA games if I had a DS Lite since it has a slot 2? Or will I have to have a EZ Flash 3 in 1 Cart as well?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow had not seen that in a while.
"no need to flash. built-in launch slot-2 (gba) function"

The DS and DS lite have a mod called flashme (firmware replacement for the DS/DSlite) that does many things but one of those is allow you to boot DS code from a GBA slot/slot 2 device. When a DS slot device claims such a feature it is because it has nopass functionality built into it. The nopass was a class of device used to force the DS to boot from the GBA slot, kind of rendered pointless once DS slot flash cards rose up though.

GBA slots will always be able to run GBA code, the worst you will miss out on for not having it load the DS menu first is about 2 seconds extra for saving and the lack of a touchscreen menu to launch the game.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could buy a brand new M3 Perfect CF card for perfect GBA compatibility but they are expensive.
would rather have a m3 lite perfect since they did the same thing except in a much smaller package and came with a dsl shell and a full size gba shell and accepted microsd along with the rest of the bells and whistles (RTS/RTC/Cheat engine/ect...)
but they are also expensive and very hard to find :P

Not in 480p I haven't. You don't happen to have gamecube component cables for sale? :P
unfortunately component cables barely make a difference, not enough to warrant the extreme price tag

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I really don't get the price complaints about flashcarts - an EZ 3in1 will set you back anywhere between $15 and $25, an EZ4 should be between $25 and $35. Excuse me for being honest, but this is nowhere near the price of one retail game - it's closer to the price of a McDonald's meal for two or a nice pizza or two.

Reactions: TripleSMoon
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I really don't get the price complaints about flashcarts - an EZ 3in1 will set you back anywhere between $15 and $25, an EZ4 should be between $25 and $35. Excuse me for being honest, but this is nowhere near the price of one retail game - it's closer to the price of a McDonald's meal for two or a nice pizza or two.

'Should be' is correct. Since they were discontinued and known stores are out of stock, the main ones that come up for sale are quite highly priced.

S

scottg1234

$120 dollars is a lot of bones for me. I don't want to play a bunch of GBA games either.

I might just wait it out. I can keep myself occupied with other consoles and my DSi. Do you guys think we will see something as good as the EZF IV within the next year?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personalty have not seen them go for $120 just look around u will find sites selling them for cheap.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
$120 dollars is a lot of bones for me. I don't want to play a bunch of GBA games either.

I might just wait it out. I can keep myself occupied with other consoles and my DSi. Do you guys think we will see something as good as the EZF IV within the next year?

no as GBA is a dead.

reprep

Trophies
Website
melankolisavar.blogspot.com
XP
Country
things were different two months ago.

still i would just wait. prices will come down eventually. someone will make a flash card for gba eventually, or an old flash card will be reproduced etc.

no need to shell out 120$ for now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @genistopitauniverfrocrami, Not interested. The fanbase totally ruined it.