Gaming Should I keep my battery in my laptop at all times?

Feels Good Man

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Or will that shorten the battery life? Like I know about every charge, you lose a percentage of the max battery life but I heard otherwise. So yeah.

Thanks
smile.gif

delta123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
a laptop batter should be discharged at least once a week. if you are working from a power supply then you can take out the batter. it should make it last longer. i have had my macbook for 2 years now and i still have 5 hours battery life on minimum settings. 3 hours on full. and all i have done was discharge the battery at least once a week.

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I leave the battery in at all times, even while I have a power supply going for power.

I know it's probably bad, but I can't be assed to get up, find the battery, put it in, lock it in, unplug the power supply, and move to wherever.
dry.gif

delta123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
it mainly depends on the battery type itself. if you have a newer laptop, then you shouldnt worry too much about the battery. but the older laptops you should. i dont keep my battery in asi have two laptops whos battery was in there 24/7 even when i used the charger and now their battery life for 1 is 20 min and the other is 40 min both on minimum settings. i mean you really dont have to discharge the battery more than once a month, but i like to do it once a week so the battery get`s flowing.

here are some tips to make your battery last longer.

1. If you do not use your laptop for extended periods of time (a week or more), remove the battery pack from the laptop.

2. Do not expose the battery to high heat or freezing temperatures. Do not leave your battery in your car in the summer. Hot batteries discharge very quickly, and cold ones can't create as much power.

3. Make sure to plug your laptop charger adapter into a UPS and not directly into a power outlet or surge protector.

4. If you have a nickel-metal hydride battery, completely drain and recharge the battery once a month to maximize its capacity to hold a charge.

5. Fully charge new battery packs before use. New pack needs to be fully charged and discharged (cycled) a few times before it can condition to full capacity.

6. For laptops that work as Desktop Replacement, the battery should be re-installed every 3-4 weeks and allowed to fully discharge.

7. Leaving a battery in a laptop while using an electrical outlet for long periods of time will keep the battery in a constant state of charging up and that will reduce the life cycle of the battery.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
delta123 said:
a laptop batter should be discharged at least once a week. if you are working from a power supply then you can take out the batter. it should make it last longer. i have had my macbook for 2 years now and i still have 5 hours battery life on minimum settings. 3 hours on full. and all i have done was discharge the battery at least once a week.
That's not healthy, lithium batteries have a limited number of charge/discharge cycles (200-300).

Generally, what you just said is true for old nimh batteries or early lion batteries.

Newer batteries with modern charging circuitry don't need any special maintenance (other than not exposing it to heat or cold)

BiscuitBee

Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Linkiboy said:
delta123 said:
That's not healthy, lithium batteries have a limited number of charge/discharge cycles (200-300).

Generally, what you just said is true for old nimh batteries or early lion batteries.

Newer batteries with modern charging circuitry don't need any special maintenance (other than not exposing it to heat or cold)
I'm with Linkiboy on this one. It actually decreases the longevity of the battery if you go below 20% (or so).

Having said that, I still like to exercise my laptop battery once-in-a-while. Using it to about 90% then going back to the charging state. I've heard some people keep it in their fridges when they don't use it (IN A PLASTIC AIR-TIGHT BAG to keep moisture out) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion#G...on_battery_life

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E