Should I Jailbreak My PS3?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Marco_Buns, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Marco_Buns
    OP

Marco_Buns GBAtemp Regular

Aug 31, 2015
    I have a super slim ps3 latest firmware and I was wondering if I should jailbreak it.

I actually want to jailbreak it but there's just one thing that is pushing me away from it. The multiplayer.

I am not a big multiplayer fan, the only game that I do play on PSN is cod ghosts and if I jailbreak my ps3 then I can't play it anymore.

That's the only thing which is pushing me, also none of my friends have ps3 anymore or thinking of buying a one because all of them have ps4. So should I do it or not? The reason why I want to jailbreak it because then I can play a lot of PS1 and 2 games. I know I can use emulators but I am not a big fan of emulators because I don't get the same experience when playing a game on a actual console.

So yeah, I am pretty confused what I shall do.

2. Zaide

Zaide GBAtemp Regular

Apr 2, 2009
    United States
    Since when can you not play online a modded ps3? I played destiny online via cfw back when it came out without any issues.

3. Marco_Buns
    OP

Aug 31, 2015
    Don't you need to download a patch to play online on cfw?

4. gunner007

gunner007 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Pretty much nothing, as you can't install CFW on a super slim. Only ODE, which won't allow you to do 80% of what you listed. Sell the unit and find a CFW model or any 2500 model or below and have someone downgrade it.

popokakapetu likes this.
  5. Voxel

Voxel Clumsy Coder

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    Even if it isn't a super slim, you still wouldn't be able to jailbreak / put CFW onto it, since it's on the latest FW.

6. Marco_Buns
    OP

Aug 31, 2015
    So, I need to wait until a CFW for the lastest FW will come out?

7. Voxel

Voxel Clumsy Coder

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    Which might never happen since the PS3 scene is now almost dead.

Games&Stuff likes this.
  8. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    It's impossible to jailbreak super slims. It's impossible to jailbreak any system beyond ps3 Czech-2501B. If you want free games, you'll have to get blank bluray disks, a bluray r/w PC drive, and a cobra ODE. All of this will cost you more than what a jail broken slim sells for.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Please read my post about the super slim I just posted.

9. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    wait what ?
    why would you need to burn blu rays if you have a cobra, optical drive emulator?

10. nero99

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    Good god. Because in order to play said games, with out CFW/kernel access, you have to have them on a Blu-ray Disc. Yes, there's a multiman mod for the ode. But from what I have saw, it's too much of a pain to use and set up. That's what the ode is for. Emulating burnt games as a real disc.

11. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    i thought the ODE had a usb port so we could insert a flash drive or an external hdd and it would emulate a disc inserted? so you wouldn't use blu rays and you don't needed to replace your broken laser

Last edited by migles, Feb 12, 2016
  12. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    no it isn't it is for emulating the entire blue ray drive and loading games via a USB HDD ,
    people buy ODE's so they do not have to burn games to BR discs
    like WODE ,wassabi etc ,you don't burn discs ,you emulate the drive and load images from a USB HDD connected to the ODE

Last edited by weatMod, Feb 12, 2016
  13. Ailuros27

Ailuros27 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 7, 2015
    United States
    So I can't homebrew or jailbreak my older model PS3 because it's on the latest firmware? I suppose I should have seen that coming. I was a fool to think that Sony's epic fail with the security keys would make it hackable up to the latest firmware.

14. gunner007

gunner007 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Sigh. This thread is so full of inaccuracies it's mind numbing. If you own a downgradable unit, you can downgrade it back to 3.55 OFW, and from there install CFW. Downgradeable models can be downgraded via HW Flashers regardless of which OFW you currently run.

You need to be on OFW 3.55 or lower to install CFW.
    All PHAT and Slim up to 2501B datecode 10 can be downgraded via HW flashers.

Any slim above 2501B including the 3K/4K slim/superslim can never have CFW. (Sony fixed the LV0 metldr pretty fast back on 3.56 - several years ago and by doing it properly, we won't have them again)

Or for the infographic types: http://gyazo.com/6b34073be3d31243ec7c9a96a86a2f18.png

Or if you still haven't found out, run the following PUP from a USB stick as you would OFW. Does it say 3.55 or lower? Than you can downgrade.
    3.60 or higher, than ODE is the only option.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-check-minimum-firmware-version.318773/

Yea, that's not at all how ODE works. I think you're confusing a drive-chip with ODE. The only reason a super slim needs a blu-ray is for the initial set of swap discs if your on OFW > 4.60. Otherwise all the discs are stored on an external USB connected to the ODE. (though again, all the work and soldering your better off just getting a CFW unit)

15. Marco_Buns
    OP

Aug 31, 2015
    Then why have I then seen a lot of tutorials how to jailbreak super slims?

16. nero99

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    It's impossible to do that. Who ever is making those threads and tuts is an idiot. The last hackable firmware is 3.55! And the last system that's able to be done on the the Cech-2501A/B systems. The only way to get free games on the the 300x and 400x (super slim) is an ode.

Last edited by nero99, Mar 20, 2016
  17. Vappy

Vappy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 23, 2012
    Lemme guess, they end in a shortened link that leads to a survey that really super for-real promises to have a really legitimate jailbreak download at the end, which'll be a simple matter of putting a file on your USB stick and hitting 'Go'?

niuus and weatMod like this.
  18. Crass

Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

Nov 3, 2006
    United States
    Oregon
    Guys no one would ever lie on the internet, c'mon.