Should I get a Nintendo DS/Wii WiFi USB Adapter?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by KrAzY3, May 17, 2007.

1. KrAzY3
    OP

KrAzY3 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2007
    United States
    I have a R4 and I don't really plan on using it to browse the internet or to play games online. Any other practical applications for this? Can I use it to do anything else? It won't function like a bluetooth dongle will it? I know there's a app to use the DS as a game controller and the like. Could I use this to move files on and off my R4?

Thanks in advance, just trying to figure out if this is any use to me...

2. cyklo

cyklo Member

Newcomer
    Jan 2, 2007
    As far as I'm aware DS homebrew can't use the nintendo wifi adapter in its raw state to do communications (it can be a pain to use sometimes even with a proper static wireless access point).

If it's a really good deal and you don't already have a wireless router, you may like to look at these instructions here. Looks like an incredible amount of effort to me, and requires a lot of configuration on the host machine, so it's not exactly plug-and-play. You're almost certainly better off getting a £50 router instead.

3. HipN

HipN GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 3, 2007
    Canada
    Does that hack actually work?

EDIT: For #2, it says install drivers, how do you do that?

4. cyklo

cyklo Member

Newcomer
    Jan 2, 2007
    I'm guessing the chipset inside the wireless adaptor is similar enough that alternative ASUS drivers can be used instead of whatever's built in to the adaptor. I remember doing the same thing when the EyeToy for the PS2 first came out, you could just change a single byte in a set of Labtec drivers and get it working as a suprisingly high-quality webcam.

5. darksavior

darksavior GBAtemp Regular

Dec 2, 2006
    United States
    Those modified asus drivers works perfectly with homebrew but seems to be picky with WEP so i turn it off. I just setup MAC filtering [​IMG]
    It does take some sort of intelligence to set it up. Just follow the tutorial. Uninstall the nintendo drivers before starting.

6. marth989

marth989 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 19, 2007
    it's fine if you don't want home brew internet aps,

but if you do want it for home brew i would suggest

you get a router, i would try and get one made by

buffalo, there great [​IMG]