Hacking Should I get a Nintendo DS/Wii WiFi USB Adapter?

KrAzY3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.rydas.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a R4 and I don't really plan on using it to browse the internet or to play games online. Any other practical applications for this? Can I use it to do anything else? It won't function like a bluetooth dongle will it? I know there's a app to use the DS as a game controller and the like. Could I use this to move files on and off my R4?

Thanks in advance, just trying to figure out if this is any use to me...

cyklo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As far as I'm aware DS homebrew can't use the nintendo wifi adapter in its raw state to do communications (it can be a pain to use sometimes even with a proper static wireless access point).

If it's a really good deal and you don't already have a wireless router, you may like to look at these instructions here. Looks like an incredible amount of effort to me, and requires a lot of configuration on the host machine, so it's not exactly plug-and-play. You're almost certainly better off getting a £50 router instead.

cyklo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Does that hack actually work?

EDIT: For #2, it says install drivers, how do you do that?

I'm guessing the chipset inside the wireless adaptor is similar enough that alternative ASUS drivers can be used instead of whatever's built in to the adaptor. I remember doing the same thing when the EyeToy for the PS2 first came out, you could just change a single byte in a set of Labtec drivers and get it working as a suprisingly high-quality webcam.

darksavior

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those modified asus drivers works perfectly with homebrew but seems to be picky with WEP so i turn it off. I just setup MAC filtering
biggrin.gif

It does take some sort of intelligence to set it up. Just follow the tutorial. Uninstall the nintendo drivers before starting.

marth989

Trophies
Website
profile.myspace.com
XP
Country
it's fine if you don't want home brew internet aps,

but if you do want it for home brew i would suggest

you get a router, i would try and get one made by

buffalo, there great
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    cearp @ cearp: and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool