Should I dump and make backups of all my retail games?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Amapola62, Jul 11, 2016.

?

Should I dump and make backups of my retail games?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. It's not necessary

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Amapola62
    OP

Amapola62 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 25, 2015
    France
    To install on my 3ds as CIas in case I loose them...

2. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    If you have the storage space to do it, and feel like spending several hours (depending on how many games you have) you could. There is always that iso site and ciangel/freeshop though... If you are afraid of losing games though, just keep backups of your save files every once in a while

3. Amapola62
    OP

Oct 25, 2015
    France
    I honce forgot the pocket with all my 3Ds games at a friend of my brother's house...got it back two weeks later...XD

4. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend ~Apprentice Game Designer~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    I once lost my pocket of 3DS games for a full year! I misplaced it like I usually did, so I thought "no worries, I have plenty to play digitally on my 3DS" (as I've downloaded a couple full retail games from the eShop). Then when I wanted to go back and play some old games, I searched everywhere and I couldn't find it! And then we moved! Seeing as I had lost it for so long, seeing as we had moved, with all these factors, I abandoned all hope of finding it (my precious Pokemon X!), until one day... I found it in a random backpack in the garage! Man, you don't know how happy I was then!

I had lost it once before, too, under the seat in my car. That was a whole month right there xD

I think I might do what you're planning on doing and back up my games in case I go full dumbass again, haha :ha:

5. CeeDee

CeeDee Heya!

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    Do it, then sell all the retail games and buy a nice big 128GB SD card.

6. SimplyFedorable

SimplyFedorable netplay addict

Apr 7, 2016
    United States
    melee hell
    I advise you do it, it is rather easy, and just takes time. You do nothing more than push a few buttons and eject your sd card a couple of times

7. 4gionz

4gionz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2014
    Canada
    Honestly I would just use ciangel/freeshop to install your cias, it'll take less time and you'll have legit tickets installed on your 3ds.

Much cleaner

8. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    That kinda depends on their situation. If their internet is garbage, then it would be much more efficient to dump every cart with decrypt9 and convert with 3dsconv. Also, grats on your 666th post :^)

4gionz likes this.
  9. Amapola62
    OP

Oct 25, 2015
    France
    Using 3DseStuff to download CIA versions of the retail games I have...found them all apart from Cubic Ninja (X, OR, Bravely Default, Bravely Second, Birthright)

10. Na7thana

Na7thana Member

Newcomer
    Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    If you don't want the fear of losing all your games and saves, you should dump them if you have the space to on your sd card. If you don't that's fine too.
    Some people prefer the feel of actually inserting the cartridge rather than just tapping on an icon anytime you want to play a game. I would just back up your games/saves onto your computer or external hard drive if you have one though just in case.

11. falls261

falls261 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2016
    United States
    I dumped all of mine, though the primary reason was to not need to carry/swap my cartridges around and leave them safely in their boxes.