ROM Hack Update a banner by installing an update

Shokai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi guys, can someone help me with a little problem I'm having?

I wanted to know if it is possible to update a game's banner by installing an update for it.

I'm translating a game and I've also translated the banner and the e-manual. This game has an update and I would like to use the .cia of the update to create the patch instead of the .cia of the game. This would make it easier for those applying the patch.

I thought about using LayeredFS, but it doesn't support the banner or the e-manual.

With my little knowledge, I started trying to insert the e-manual and the banner into the update file.

I dumped the .cia files of the game and the update, extracted each one to a separate folder (using hackingtoolkit3ds) and started working based on trial and error.

My step-by-step guide was:
1 - Make the changes to the update files
2 - Rebuild the .cia
3 - Extract the .cia that I just rebuilt to see if the changes were made
4 - If so, install it on the console. If not, go back to step 1.

I had problems inserting the e-manual. Whenever I extracted the .cia that I had rebuilt, the e-manual was not there, but I managed after copying the file HeaderNCCH0.bin from the folder of files extracted from the game to the folder of files extracted from the update.
I installed it on the console and there it was. The original manual was overlaid by the manual I created. Now all that was missing was the banner.

The same problem was occurring with the banner, I placed it in the update files and when extracting the rebuilt .cia the banner was not there. I solved it by following the same logic as the e-manual, but this time copying the HeaderExeFS.bin file from the game's extracted files folder.
The problem is that even after installing the update file on the console, the banner was not overlaid.

How do I make the update banner overlap the game banner?

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if there is a banner in the correct format in exefs, and the home menu still shows the original banner, then I'm afraid the home menu isn't programmed to read banners from updates

it might be possible to change this with patches to the home menu, if it was reverse-engineered well enough to do that. but I wouldnt be able to point you in the right direction for that, sorry

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: That game maybe too violent for your granny tho. Better get Barbies Dream house instead.