TORA2009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, heres my problem:

I have a friend who will sell me a PSP PHAT with custom firmware ( 5 M33 ) and a 2GB's card.
Or i can buy a new psp slim for much more money, without the custom firmware.

What should i do? Can the phat run any game or emulator i put on the card? Is the custom firmware good?
Apart from the looks and more ram, what can the Slim do that the phat cant?

Thank you!

Cryingmoose

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"So what's the difference between the Phat and the Slim?
The PSP Slim offers a 19% slimmer (reduced to 18.6 mm from 23 mm) and 33% lighter (reduced to 189 grams from 280 grams) system than the original PSP system. Internal changes to achieve this include the removal of a metal chassis (used to reduce damage in the event of sudden trauma to the system resulting from the user dropping the system on a hard surface), improved WLAN modules and Micro-controller, and a thinner and much brighter LCD.

To target the original PSP generation's poor load times for UMD games, the internal memory (RAM and Flash ROM) was doubled from 32 MB to 64 MB, which also improved the web browser's performance.

To make the PSP slimmer, the capacity of the battery was reduced by 1/3. Due to more efficient power usage, the run time of the PSP is still the same as the older model. Older model batteries will still work which extends the amount of playing time. However, the battery cover on the newer model does not fit over the older battery due to its bulkier size

The PSP Slim & Lite has a new gloss finish. The serial port was also modified in order to accommodate a new video-out feature (while rendering older PSP remote controls incompatible). PSP games will only output to external monitors or TVs in progressive scan mode, so televisions incapable of supporting progressive scan will not display PSP games. Non-game video outputs fine in either progressive or interlaced mode. USB charging was made possible (the PSP Slim will only charge while it is in "USB mode". It cannot be charged via USB when playing a game). However, there are unofficial USB charge plug-in downloads for charging the PSP with a USB without the need for being in USB mode. The D-Pad was raised in response to complaints of poor performance, while buttons offer improved responsiveness.

A new simpler and more compact UMD loading tray design was developed, in which the tray swivels out instead of opening up completely, while the Wi-Fi switch was moved to the top of the PSP. To address many consumer complaints about the Memory Stick door breaking off the old PSP, the Memory Stick door has been relocated and redesigned. The speakers were repositioned on the front of the PSP near the top of its screen. The infra-red port was also removed because it offered no use to the original PSP generation other than in homebrew applications. Its analog stick was also redesigned to be more flexible and is not removable without opening the PSP. The air vent at the top of the original was also removed.
"

TORA2009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cryingmoose said:
"So what's the difference between the Phat and the Slim?
The PSP Slim offers a 19% slimmer (reduced to 18.6 mm from 23 mm) and 33% lighter (reduced to 189 grams from 280 grams) system than the original PSP system. Internal changes to achieve this include the removal of a metal chassis (used to reduce damage in the event of sudden trauma to the system resulting from the user dropping the system on a hard surface), improved WLAN modules and Micro-controller, and a thinner and much brighter LCD.

To target the original PSP generation's poor load times for UMD games, the internal memory (RAM and Flash ROM) was doubled from 32 MB to 64 MB, which also improved the web browser's performance.

To make the PSP slimmer, the capacity of the battery was reduced by 1/3. Due to more efficient power usage, the run time of the PSP is still the same as the older model. Older model batteries will still work which extends the amount of playing time. However, the battery cover on the newer model does not fit over the older battery due to its bulkier size

The PSP Slim & Lite has a new gloss finish. The serial port was also modified in order to accommodate a new video-out feature (while rendering older PSP remote controls incompatible). PSP games will only output to external monitors or TVs in progressive scan mode, so televisions incapable of supporting progressive scan will not display PSP games. Non-game video outputs fine in either progressive or interlaced mode. USB charging was made possible (the PSP Slim will only charge while it is in "USB mode". It cannot be charged via USB when playing a game). However, there are unofficial USB charge plug-in downloads for charging the PSP with a USB without the need for being in USB mode. The D-Pad was raised in response to complaints of poor performance, while buttons offer improved responsiveness.

A new simpler and more compact UMD loading tray design was developed, in which the tray swivels out instead of opening up completely, while the Wi-Fi switch was moved to the top of the PSP. To address many consumer complaints about the Memory Stick door breaking off the old PSP, the Memory Stick door has been relocated and redesigned. The speakers were repositioned on the front of the PSP near the top of its screen. The infra-red port was also removed because it offered no use to the original PSP generation other than in homebrew applications. Its analog stick was also redesigned to be more flexible and is not removable without opening the PSP. The air vent at the top of the original was also removed.
"

That didn't answer most of my questions.

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
TORA2009 said:

I have a friend who will sell me a PSP PHAT with custom firmware ( 5 M33 ) and a 2GB's card.

What should i do? Can the phat run any game or emulator i put on the card? Is the custom firmware good?

Thank you!

The Phat does, with a Time Machine firmware for older homebrew compatibility. Yes, it's M33, you can do anything you like.

Well, the Slim is obviously lighter and you can play on the TV, too. I'd get the Phat, though, since its pre-modded, and you won't get better than that seeing as the newer Slims all have the TA88v03 motherboard, which is currently unhackable (>= date code 8C).

TORA2009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HBK said:
TORA2009 said:

Thank you!

The Phat does, with a Time Machine firmware for older homebrew compatibility. Yes, it's M33, you can do anything you like.

Well, the Slim is obviously lighter and you can play on the TV, too. I'd get the Phat, though, since its pre-modded, and you won't get better than that seeing as the newer Slims all have the TA88v03 motherboard, which is currently unhackable (>= date code 8C).

So, its better to chose the phat, as for the m33 firmware, some games dont work and other do right?
Where can i see a compatibility list or something like that?

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
uberusmaximus said:
i just bought a 2000 with a 1gb on ebay for $127. you can get them for a decent price there.

You can also get a phat for less than half of that on ebay.

Sc4rFac3d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Provided your friend's phat is still in very good shape and you thrust him I'd get the phat. Slim isn't worth the extra money unless you like the slimmer profile, and even then it feels pretty cheap in my hands.

ShinRyouma

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
TORA2009, can't you find a shop that sell PSP 2000 and able to install custom firmware? I know it might be hard to find one, but if you can find one you don't have to buy pandora battery and you don't have to install cfw yourself. You can use the money to buy 8GB memory stick. I like PSP 2000 because it's lighter and have brighter LCD than PSP phat.

TORA2009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShinRyouma said:
TORA2009, can't you find a shop that sell PSP 2000 and able to install custom firmware? I know it might be hard to find one, but if you can find one you don't have to buy pandora battery and you don't have to install cfw yourself. You can use the money to buy 8GB memory stick. I like PSP 2000 because it's lighter and have brighter LCD than PSP phat.

No, i dont know of any shop that do that.
If i buy the phat, i wont have to worry with anything else, i'll just have to make a customfirmware update from time to time.
Also, it will be a lot cheaer than a new Slim.

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
PSP 1000 - All versions can be hacked AFAIK.
PSP 2000 - A really nice upgrade over the 1000, but MOST SLIMS NOWADAYS ARE NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT HACKABLE! That means you can't get custom firmware in it, you can't play your .isos, etc.
PSP 3000 - Basically the same as the 2000, but the screen is worse. (There's a lot of complaints about it, you can read them online). It is also NOT HACKABLE AT THE MOMENT no matter which version or color you get.

So your best bet would be a 1000 (AKA Phat). You can also take a gamble and get the 2000, but it will probably be unhackable.

TORA2009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
War said:
PSP 2000 - A really nice upgrade over the 1000, but MOST SLIMS NOWADAYS ARE NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT HACKABLE! That means you can't get custom firmware in it, you can't play your .isos, etc.
PSP 3000 - Basically the same as the 2000, but the screen is worse. (There's a lot of complaints about it, you can read them online). It is also NOT HACKABLE AT THE MOMENT no matter which version or color you get.

So your best bet would be a 1000 (AKA Phat). You can also take a gamble and get the 2000, but it will probably be unhackable.

Thank you, i'll get the phat then, first time owning a psp.

Whizz

When things don't go right, go left.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
TORA2009 said:
War said:

Thank you, i'll get the phat then, first time owning a psp.

Or try getting a secondhand slim, they're worth it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, :creep: