Hacking Should I buy a flash card or wait for someting bette/different?

Do you expect mayor game changing developments for flash cards in the next 4 months?

• Total voters

MidLevelCrisis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
For a while now i've been thinking of buying a flash card. I hadn't updated my 3DS XL for what seemed an age until i found out I had to update anyway if I ever wanted to do a system transfer. Which I will be doing when i recieve my NEW 3DS XL Majoras mask - PAL EUR. Anyway I decided to update so i guess Gateway and all it's cool stuff (and promises) are out of the window . So the only option would be Sky3DS. I love the simplicity and safety of usage of that card, I also own a DsTwo so i will only miss out on .cia E-shop backups, and homebrew (for now). And thats fine, until stable superior emulators are developed, and even then I don't think the 3Ds can handle more than accurate GBA and SNES emulation.

The reason I ask if I should buy or wait is because the 3Ds scene seems to have really picked up pace the last couple of weeks. The hacking and reverse engineering has been going on forever, but now the user end stuff is really starting to appear, and with it more flash card developments.

Do you guys think there will be a better card available in the near future? with 9.4+ New 3DS & Homebrew support?

Is the DsTwo+ real? and if so what will it do and work with? Is any news on this to be expected anytime soon?

From the 13th on my system will be the New 3ds on 9.4 or up, so I'm curious what you guys would do in that situation.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For a while now i've been thinking of buying a flash card. I hadn't updated my 3DS XL for what seemed an age until i found out I had to update anyway if I ever wanted to do a system transfer. Which I will be doing when i recieve my NEW 3DS XL Majoras mask - PAL EUR. Anyway I decided to update so i guess Gateway and all it's cool stuff (and promises) are out of the window . So the only option would be Sky3DS. I love the simplicity and safety of usage of that card, I also own a DsTwo so i will only miss out on .cia E-shop backups, and homebrew (for now). And thats fine, until stable superior emulators are developed, and even then I don't think the 3Ds can handle more than accurate GBA and SNES emulation.

The reason I ask if I should buy or wait is because the 3Ds scene seems to have really picked up pace the last couple of weeks. The hacking and reverse engineering has been going on forever, but now the user end stuff is really starting to appear, and with it more flash card developments.

Do you guys think there will be a better card available in the near future? with 9.4+ New 3DS & Homebrew support?

Is the DsTwo+ real? and if so what will it do and work with? Is any news on this to be expected anytime soon?

From the 13th on my system will be the New 3ds on 9.4 or up, so I'm curious what you guys would do in that situation.

Safety? What safety is that?

MidLevelCrisis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Safety? What safety is that?

The safety of not messing with your NAND, not manipulating or injecting code on your system, probably not being easily blocked by a firmware update or hardware revision as it should read like a real cartridge, and only being detectable by using a duplicate header for your game when going online?

That safety

Tjessx

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I don't think it will take long until you can do everything what a flashcard can, without using one

Oak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it will take long until you can do everything what a flashcard can, without using one

Waiting for this. Also a guy that goes by the name KazoWar or Magnius in other places is executing code through the browser.

sweis12

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
I backed up my 9.2 nand, downgraded to 4.x, got 9.4 emunand and 4.x CFW/dev menu ( install free games/homebrew) without a flashcard. It took me like 3-4 hours to get everything working but it was worth it. I would recommend doing so aswel.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I backed up my 9.2 nand, downgraded to 4.x, got 9.2 emunand and 4.x CFW/dev menu ( install free games/homebrew) without a flashcard. It took me like 3-4 hours to get everything working but it was worth it. I would recommend doing so aswel.

Oh yes, please get that going on the N3DS.....

MidLevelCrisis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Waiting for this. Also a guy that goes by the name KazoWar or Magnius in other places is executing code through the browser.

Would be interesting if there was a softmod way to install dev menu. Though the N3DS browser is different from the 3DS browser right?

Opinions seem quite devided and development still too much in motion, i think i'll wait atleast untill the release of xenoblade, just to see if it will be different from other 3DS roms and if the current methods/cards can run it. That way at least i'll know what i get or do is a bit more future proof. Majora 3D and MH4U will hold me over untill then. Softmods and browser exploits seem easily patched out or blocked though.

Also i guess the pokemon trades will be even more flooded with edited pokes, yikes. The price of progress.

iViperz

Trophies
XP
Country

Use Emunand to system transfer over. There's no reason why that wouldn't work is there? That's what I plan to do.
I've also preordered the NN3DS MME (Eur) and plan to use Emunand to System transfer over.

Obviously that doesn't mean to say I know that GW3DS will support NN3DS by then, I don't. But that's my plan for now.

Personally, I don't expect there to be any new game changers, if anything the current players will be the ones to bring about such changes.
I've no idea on the DSTwo+, and if you have alternative ways of playing games then by all means hold out for it.

This was speculated over at MaxConsole but 9.3 was released in December and for the new batches of NN3DS to be higher than 9.2, Nintendo would have to have worked really fast considering the volume.
It's also worth stating that consoles such as the Ambassador NN3DS had a 9.0 firmware, so not all hope is lost.
I've got a spare GW and a spare Sky holding out for the former, but the latter would work for me too.

So in that situation, I'd leave everything I have as it is now, then decide later when the options are clear.

MidLevelCrisis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think there is indeed a big chance the N3DS will come in low firmware versions, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Majora 3D contained a mandatory firmware update, in that case wouldn't PAL be fucked since it's pre installed on the Limited edition?

Tjessx

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Would be interesting if there was a softmod way to install dev menu. Though the N3DS browser is different from the 3DS browser right?

Opinions seem quite devided and development still too much in motion, i think i'll wait atleast untill the release of xenoblade, just to see if it will be different from other 3DS roms and if the current methods/cards can run it. That way at least i'll know what i get or do is a bit more future proof. Majora 3D and MH4U will hold me over untill then. Softmods and browser exploits seem easily patched out or blocked though.

Also i guess the pokemon trades will be even more flooded with edited pokes, yikes. The price of progress.

I don't think it would take long this to happen either 1-2 months

MidLevelCrisis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh well, i bit the bullet and my Sky 3DS will arrive soon. I'll be enjoying my Majora's Mask New 3DS to the fullest when it arrives. Gonna update it and system transfer all my old stuff, and already got a trade lined up to swap my old 3ds-XL for a WiiU.
Also got confirmation today I will be recieving the skull kid figurine with my PAL console, couldn't be happier :)

If gateway ever releases an update from the gods upon us that's compatible with the latest firm I might get one later, but something different or better will probably be released by then.

Reactions: Tjessx

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1