Should I buy a 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Tea.addiction, Jan 11, 2013.

?

Would you get a 3DS to play roms on?

1. Yay

80.0%
  2. Nay

20.0%
Jan 11, 2013

Should I buy a 3DS? by Tea.addiction at 6:25 PM (1,395 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. Tea.addiction
    OP

Newcomer Tea.addiction Newbie

United Kingdom
    Hey, so I'm thinking of buying a 3DS fairly soon, but I'm having some worries about it. First of all, I have a DSi at the moment, and the only reason I'm selling it is because I've grown very bored with the selection of games on offer, plus, with the various new games being announced (Hello Pokemon X and Y) I've been convinced to buy one.

But I'll be using a AceKard 2i to get roms for games, and I've been hearing that the cards are slowly becoming useless as they update. And I've also heard that some games force you to update your 3DS before you can play them, making it impossible to play the roms on the console. So do you think that it'll be worth it to get the console? I't can't afford to get the games themselves, and I really don't want to replay the Professor Layton games again and again...

Thanks for the advice,

Tea.Addiction

2. chavosaur

Reporter chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip
    United States
    If your going into a 3DS (a new one at that) and expecting Acekard to work, its not going to. You'll need to invest in a super card dstwo or an R4I gold.
    I hope you don't think you can play 3DS roms yet, because nothing plays 3DS roms, just keep that in mind.
    Otherwise, its a really great console, with a library of games that grows better as the days go by (Because if you made this thread back around launch, I would have told you no way)

Jiehfeng likes this.
  3. hnguyen2010

Newcomer hnguyen2010 Advanced Member

United States
    If you save enough money and get 3DS XL it's worth the money for a bigger screen

4. nukeboy95

Member nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

United States
    you might wanna see what the 3ds's stock update is if its 4.4.0-10 or above your acekard wont work

5. Chary

Reporter Chary GBAtemp's #1 Naoto

pip
    United States
    Yes. The amount of new exclusives coming out means you will have plenty of games to choose from, and I feel that the console will be a necessity in the next few months. (Unlike the launch-day owners)
    You will need to get a new flashcart though. AceKard is dead on the 3DS.

6. Yepi69

Member Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Portugal
    If i were you, i only would buy a 3DS when Pokemon X/Y comes out.

7. Valwin

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States
    yes i am planing to switch to the XL soon

8. Tea.addiction
    OP

United Kingdom
    So there are roms for the 3DS games? :) Great!
    Yeah, I know about the AceKard 2i and it's firmware problem. I'm buying it second hand, so hopefully it won't have the most updated firmware.
    I'm inpatient, so I'll be getting it fairly soon, anyway :)

9. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    Don't know if serious or... 3DS games can't play backed up 3DS roms, end of story. It might someday but not anytime soon, think 2 years at least.
    The 3DS auto downloads updates in sleepmode if it's connected to the internet, after downloading it the system will start asking to update every time you switch it on. You can avoid that, however you can't avoid games that needs the newest 3DS firmware in order to play.
    Finally without the newest update you can't access the eShop for games, patches and other downloadables. For example MK7 needs a patch downloaded from the eShop in order to work online.

So you will update no matter what if its going to be your only 3DS.

10. Chary

Reporter Chary GBAtemp's #1 Naoto

pip
    United States
    There are roms, but they cannot be utilized yet.

11. Tea.addiction
    OP

United Kingdom
    So no one can use roms yet? Wow, that sucks. I just want tem f
    or roms only, to be fair. I don't mind about no Internet.
    So it would be best if I wait a few months, till roms can be used, before I buy one?

12. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    Get one now, you won't be able to play roms (that you've downloaded or backed up) for a loong time, a couple of months you say. More like a couple of years, I'd say it'll be closer to 3 or 4 years until something like that will be possible.

13. Tea.addiction
    OP

United Kingdom
    So no reason to get a 3DS if I wanna okay roms? Sorry. I just wanted it for roms, really. And hell, in 4 years the new DS will be out. How long did it take for the original DS to get roms working?

14. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    The original DS first played them with a GBA flashcart and a passme device in the DS cartridge slot in 2005. The 3DS will take a much much longer time due to having updatable firmware and due to how everything is encrypted and secured. Nintendo can just block an exploit by patching it now.
    You should really get one anyway, the games I own for it were more than worth the purchase and the eShop has it gems too.

15. AmagiTyrr

Newcomer AmagiTyrr Newbie

Philippines
    Hi guys~
    Im planning to buy a 3DS too..(an XL, ,maybe)
    and i dont understand the firmwares you guys are saying.. (never had a real ds since my bad friend introduced me to the emulators)
    and when ive watched the global announcement of pikachu about the new pokemon x and y.. i think its time to buy one..(it keeps me drooling about couple of hours,till the next day actually).. can someone with a ferocious kind heart summarize the thing i need to know like knowing the specs of a desktop before buying one?

16. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    http://gbatemp.net/topic/315784-flash-carts-and-dsi3ds-updates/

17. Jayro

Member Jayro MediCat DVD Developer

United States
    Retailers have no clue what the firmware version is. I'm staying on 4.4.0-10 until either the console is hacked (soon), or YouTube integration is added. (Might happen, the Wii, Wii U, and PS3 all recently got it.)