Would you get a 3DS to play roms on?

• Total voters

Tea.addiction

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, so I'm thinking of buying a 3DS fairly soon, but I'm having some worries about it. First of all, I have a DSi at the moment, and the only reason I'm selling it is because I've grown very bored with the selection of games on offer, plus, with the various new games being announced (Hello Pokemon X and Y) I've been convinced to buy one.

But I'll be using a AceKard 2i to get roms for games, and I've been hearing that the cards are slowly becoming useless as they update. And I've also heard that some games force you to update your 3DS before you can play them, making it impossible to play the roms on the console. So do you think that it'll be worth it to get the console? I't can't afford to get the games themselves, and I really don't want to replay the Professor Layton games again and again...

Thanks for the advice,

Tea.Addiction

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your going into a 3DS (a new one at that) and expecting Acekard to work, its not going to. You'll need to invest in a super card dstwo or an R4I gold.
I hope you don't think you can play 3DS roms yet, because nothing plays 3DS roms, just keep that in mind.
Otherwise, its a really great console, with a library of games that grows better as the days go by (Because if you made this thread back around launch, I would have told you no way)

Reactions: Jiehfeng

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes. The amount of new exclusives coming out means you will have plenty of games to choose from, and I feel that the console will be a necessity in the next few months. (Unlike the launch-day owners)
You will need to get a new flashcart though. AceKard is dead on the 3DS.

Tea.addiction

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So there are roms for the 3DS games? :) Great!
Yeah, I know about the AceKard 2i and it's firmware problem. I'm buying it second hand, so hopefully it won't have the most updated firmware.
I'm inpatient, so I'll be getting it fairly soon, anyway :)

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
So there are roms for the 3DS games? :) Great!
Yeah, I know about the AceKard 2i and it's firmware problem. I'm buying it second hand, so hopefully it won't have the most updated firmware.
I'm inpatient, so I'll be getting it fairly soon, anyway :)
Don't know if serious or... 3DS games can't play backed up 3DS roms, end of story. It might someday but not anytime soon, think 2 years at least.
The 3DS auto downloads updates in sleepmode if it's connected to the internet, after downloading it the system will start asking to update every time you switch it on. You can avoid that, however you can't avoid games that needs the newest 3DS firmware in order to play.
Finally without the newest update you can't access the eShop for games, patches and other downloadables. For example MK7 needs a patch downloaded from the eShop in order to work online.

So you will update no matter what if its going to be your only 3DS.

Tea.addiction

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So no one can use roms yet? Wow, that sucks. I just want tem f
There are roms, but they cannot be utilized yet.
or roms only, to be fair. I don't mind about no Internet.
So it would be best if I wait a few months, till roms can be used, before I buy one?

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
So no one can use roms yet? Wow, that sucks. I just want tem f
or roms only, to be fair. I don't mind about no Internet.
So it would be best if I wait a few months, till roms can be used, before I buy one?
Get one now, you won't be able to play roms (that you've downloaded or backed up) for a loong time, a couple of months you say. More like a couple of years, I'd say it'll be closer to 3 or 4 years until something like that will be possible.

Tea.addiction

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Get one now, you won't be able to play roms (that you've downloaded or backed up) for a loong time, a couple of months you say. More like a couple of years, I'd say it'll be closer to 3 or 4 years until something like that will be possible.
So no reason to get a 3DS if I wanna okay roms? Sorry. I just wanted it for roms, really. And hell, in 4 years the new DS will be out. How long did it take for the original DS to get roms working?

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
So no reason to get a 3DS if I wanna okay roms? Sorry. I just wanted it for roms, really. And hell, in 4 years the new DS will be out. How long did it take for the original DS to get roms working?
The original DS first played them with a GBA flashcart and a passme device in the DS cartridge slot in 2005. The 3DS will take a much much longer time due to having updatable firmware and due to how everything is encrypted and secured. Nintendo can just block an exploit by patching it now.
You should really get one anyway, the games I own for it were more than worth the purchase and the eShop has it gems too.

AmagiTyrr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys~
Im planning to buy a 3DS too..(an XL, ,maybe)
and i dont understand the firmwares you guys are saying.. (never had a real ds since my bad friend introduced me to the emulators)
and when ive watched the global announcement of pikachu about the new pokemon x and y.. i think its time to buy one..(it keeps me drooling about couple of hours,till the next day actually).. can someone with a ferocious kind heart summarize the thing i need to know like knowing the specs of a desktop before buying one?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys~
Im planning to buy a 3DS too..(an XL, ,maybe)
and i dont understand the firmwares you guys are saying.. (never had a real ds since my bad friend introduced me to the emulators)
and when ive watched the global announcement of pikachu about the new pokemon x and y.. i think its time to buy one..(it keeps me drooling about couple of hours,till the next day actually).. can someone with a ferocious kind heart summarize the thing i need to know like knowing the specs of a desktop before buying one?
http://gbatemp.net/topic/315784-flash-carts-and-dsi3ds-updates/

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
you might wanna see what the 3ds's stock update is if its 4.4.0-10 or above your acekard wont work
Retailers have no clue what the firmware version is. I'm staying on 4.4.0-10 until either the console is hacked (soon), or YouTube integration is added. (Might happen, the Wii, Wii U, and PS3 all recently got it.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...