Should bullying be a crime now?

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
"Bullying" is a pretty grey area. How do you define something like that? Sure, actual violence is easy to measure but what about psychological attacks? How do you legislate hurt feelings? Who gets to decide what is reasonable to be traumatized by and what isn't reasonable?
Lol. I find it weird how people don't really consider psychological bullying a real problem cause its usually worse than getting punched in the face. Sure getting beaten up hurts but those wounds heal over time and your almost good as new while psychological attacks usually don't and its these that usually drives people to depression and eventually suicide, its even worse now since with the popularity of social media there are alot more methods to bully others.

Reactions: 1 person

DaggerV

Archmagi of the Emerald Moon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, I grew up in the 90's, and only thing I notice that is different is you get in more trouble for punching a bully for picking on you than the bully ever will for picking on you. Back then when everyone knew they were picking on you and you lash out, people went their own ways, and you wasn't picked on anymore.

Course sometimes that just pisses them off more, but, I'm a big guy so once tends to be enough.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Eh, I grew up in the 90's, and only thing I notice that is different is you get in more trouble for punching a bully for picking on you than the bully ever will for picking on you. Back then when everyone knew they were picking on you and you lash out, people went their own ways, and you wasn't picked on anymore.

Course sometimes that just pisses them off more, but, I'm a big guy so once tends to be enough.

Tell me about it. When I was going to college, there was a douche-canoe who sat behind me on the coach every morning called Ed. Insert jokes based on Ed the Duck here. He had the brains of a puppet's offspring anyway. Basically he'd make my life a living hell. Keep poking me in the back with sharp stuff, calling me every name under the sun, even going as far as to set my hair on fire. I did my best to ignore him for many months until one day he made a remark about someone dear to me that frankly he was lucky to survive. I lost my temper, turned around and smacked him in the face. Broke his nose and KO'd him. I didn't even hit him that hard. Not my fault he turned out to be a total pussy. The coach driver says I was being violent, even though I'd made countless reports about him and nothing was ever done. The college threatened to press charges, but what they didn't take into account is that my best friend is a lawyer. Quoted a few choice passages from the big book o' the law and they soon shut up.

Funnily enough, Ed didn't dare sit anywhere near me from that point on. So anyone who tells you that violence isn't the answer clearly hasn't given the matter much thought. Not saying it should be anyone's 'go-to' solution for everything, but there are times when a swift and straight punch to the eye socket will solve a lot of problems.

narutofan777

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
the ones who bully should get punished. it don't need to be a crime. the kid who starts a fight should get punished besides the 2nd person. I always hear about the 2nd person gettin punish for takin' a stand.

cyber bullying is bad though, idk what you can do about that since they hidin' behind their comp.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too many kids are dying because of bullying, be it sucide, or they (the bullied) decide to kill a dozen kids at school. This crap needs to end. One person should not be allowed to push another around just because he/she feels like it.

Reactions: 1 person

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't label it bullying so much as extreme persecution. If true, it's yet another terrible, terrible tragedy.

To weigh in, though, I believe bullying and persecution are crimes against the human spirit. I doubt laws will help us with that, though. We need something much deeper to change.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Personally I've never really been bullied (well, only like, normal kid stuff when I was younger since I had good grades and a hormonal problem), but I've had friends who were and it wasn't pretty, from what I've seen, the person being bullied needs to show that they want it to end, of course, blackmailing cases and stuff like are more complicated... Humans are pretty weird creatures, they can be strong and they can be weak and unfortunately, a lot can break under sheer pressure, the worst kind of bullying I've seen is psychological one, like, leaving that person eat alone everyday, not talking to them yet laughing behind their backs and then when those people get desperate, one of them pretends to be a friend, just to break them even further... Personally, girls are much more cruel regarding the psychological one, while most male bullies just resort to violence (of course, not all of them, but the majority), violence ones are the easiest type, since as long as the person has the guts and will, they can eventually learn to fight back, whereas psychological is much, much deeper, and those wounds take a lot longer to heal.

Anyway, bullying is bad, but, it shouldn't really be considered a crime, some types of bullying should, but not most.
In the universities at my country, freshmen are pretty much bullied, they're forced to do whatever the older ones say (although there's limits obviously) or their lives in university will be a real living hell and they won't be able to partake any of the activities or clubs, however, that sort of bullying is made to prepare them for their future, the seniors also had the same treatment as freshmen, and so the tradition goes on, work places are pretty though, especially with the current crisis since bosses try to make the employees quit their jobs instead of just firing them, since they'll save a ton of cash that way.

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Anyway, bullying is bad, but, it shouldn't really be considered a crime, some types of bullying should, but not most.
In the universities at my country, freshmen are pretty much bullied, they're forced to do whatever the older ones say (although there's limits obviously) or their lives in university will be a real living hell and they won't be able to partake any of the activities or clubs, however, that sort of bullying is made to prepare them for their future, the seniors also had the same treatment as freshmen, and so the tradition goes on, work places are pretty though, especially with the current crisis since bosses try to make the employees quit their jobs instead of just firing them, since they'll save a ton of cash that way.
Prepare them for what? being a masochist? servant? low self-esteem person who will listen to whatever their seniors tell them?
Before I dropped out of uni due to health reasons I rather be be alone than be a slave to others and honestly being a loner seems like the better option.

The workplace is worse where ever you are and unless you got a nice employer then it would be a little easier.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Self defense should be taught to those who are capable (or willing) of learning it. I heard that the nose (due to the nerves' proximity to the brain) and/or anterior cruciate ligament (necessary for walking) is quite the place to hurt someone, especially in a situation with some bully douchebag. I remember this moron in eighth grade who would always push me around and jokingly try to put his arms around my neck and shake me, I never fought back originally due to his being much bigger than I was (bigger both ways, height and girth). One day, I couldn't stand it anymore, so I puched him on the side of his torso, whether or not it hurt him I don't know. Luckily, there were people nearby who saw the tussle and knew I was in the right, so they squealed on the moron to the principal. He never bothered me for the rest of the time I was in junior high.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Prepare them for what? being a masochist? servant? low self-esteem person who will listen to whatever their seniors tell them?
Before I dropped out of uni due to health reasons I rather be be alone than be a slave to others and honestly being a loner seems like the better option.

The workplace is worse where ever you are and unless you got a nice employer then it would be a little easier.
Nope, the idea is to strengthen them, and it actually works for most people in the universities over here, like I said, they have limits to what they do, it's just a game per se, so they don't go overboard (although there was a case once where a girl was abused, but they were dealt with right away since the police is usually there for those parties).

Blood Fetish

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
"Bullying" is a pretty grey area. How do you define something like that? Sure, actual violence is easy to measure but what about psychological attacks? How do you legislate hurt feelings? Who gets to decide what is reasonable to be traumatized by and what isn't reasonable?
Lol. I find it weird how people don't really consider psychological bullying a real problem cause its usually worse than getting punched in the face. Sure getting beaten up hurts but those wounds heal over time and your almost good as new while psychological attacks usually don't and its these that usually drives people to depression and eventually suicide, its even worse now since with the popularity of social media there are alot more methods to bully others.
Not once did I say that all forms of psychological bullying are not real problems.

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Not once did I say that all forms of psychological bullying are not real problems.
Maybe not you but if you have read through the thread the attitude is that workplace bullying is harassment and abuse while schoolyard bullying is a "fact of life" and people need to get some balls and move on.

Nope, the idea is to strengthen them, and it actually works for most people in the universities over here, like I said, they have limits to what they do, it's just a game per se, so they don't go overboard (although there was a case once where a girl was abused, but they were dealt with right away since the police is usually there for those parties).
Really? I honestly can't see it working at all and I still see that there might be more problems after what you said but who am I to argue with something I don't participate in at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I use AKG K7XX headphones for daily use, but Meze 99 Classics when I want to *enjoy* the music
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I mean built in sound on mobo's has gotten way better but still XP handled sound better and X-Fi was still better than onboard audio even to this day
    Hell not sure what was going on but for like a few weeks MP3's sounded muffled, some driver or Windows update fixed it. Thank god lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Oh boy Massdrop has $1100 IEMs. Want, but not at that price lmao. https://drop.com/buy/campfire-audio-andromeda-emerald-sea-iem
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'd sooner buy the Meze 109 Pro if I was dropping that much on headphones. I don't even like buds/IEMs
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I got the Google Pixel Pro buds, they're good enough for when I need portable audio. And some really cheap IEMs that Dankpods recommends, I think the KZ ZSN Pro
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd stick with cheapo Chinese $10 ones quality is actually becoming on pair with name brand since name Brand usually quads the price up anyway loose one bud that's another $200
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    My Pixel Pro buds shit the bed a month or two ago. My wireless charger (which they do support Qi charging) absolutely COOKED them. Caused some problem that caused the case to heat up to 180F+
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    They were like 9 months out of warranty but I hit up Google support anyway and told them how hot they were getting and they replaced them with new ones because they wanted these for failure analysis lol
    lol wireless charging
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why I can't bring myself to even spend $100 on wireless earbuds
    I think it's a cool idea but damn
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Apparently the case has a problem with >15W wireless chargers. Google design fault, that one.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I could live with wireless charging if the damn standard case doesn't block connection
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    how is wireless charging possible?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dbz said everyone has raging energy senses
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    you mean generally, how does the concept work?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Copper conducting electricity or something
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @Xdqwerty, power through a coil of wire causes an electromagnetic field to be generated. Another coil of wire can be set up to harness the power from that electromagnetic field and turn it into usable energy for charging a device
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Two good videos from ElectroBOOM that touch on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQwGjhwPEik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2YwkAWg0_g
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Elements on earth are actually more powerful than we think
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Wow I can't believe I've been watching ElectroBOOM for that long. I remember when that first video came out lol
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Wow I can't believe I've been watching ElectroBOOM for that long. I remember when that first...