1. umbreon112

OP umbreon112 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I've recently been curious about translating Shiren 4 for the PSP. I've searched around a bit and was able to extract the files + data0.cpk file (using UMDGen and CriPakTools), and I see a script folder with some binary files, but the contents appear to be further compressed or something. There doesn't appear to be any discernible text in either Shift-JIS or UTF-8 when viewed in a hex editor.

I'll admit I'm pretty much new to this stuff and don't have much experience yet, but I also tried dumping RAM/VRAM/decrypted eboot.bin through PPSSPP and took a look at those in a hex editor as well, but I wasn't able to locate any of the text that was on-screen / what looked like text in the executable outside of a block of test messages.

So with that said, would anyone happen to have an idea what I should try next? Thanks.

Malckyor likes this.
  2. StorMyu

StorMyu "I'm too old for this"

France
    maybe a custom encoding ? that's not impossible. A lot of games do it but on PSP it started to feel dumb and standarized encoding became more a thing so... idk.

3. umbreon112

OP umbreon112 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I did a little bit of work on Shiren Gaiden Asuka Kenzan (Dreamcast) which uses Shift-JIS, so I'd like to say that's what Chunsoft sticks to... but then I remembered Asuka was developed by Neverland Co. instead of them, so I'm not really sure.

I've heard of cases like Japanese N64 games that use some sort of texture/graphic outputting system rather than a text encoding, so maybe something like that is at work?

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Translation, Shiren, (PSP)