Shigesato Itoi announces Hobonichi Mother Project book release, teases "other news" as well

The Mother franchise is getting something new, according to a Japanese teaser. Announced by franchise creator Shigesato Itoi is the "Hobonichi Mother Project", which involves the release of a book that will contain the script and dialogue from all three Mother titles. The book is planned for launch sometime before the end of 2020. That's not all though, as a trailer from publishing company Hobonichi also teases other "various goods and merchandise" related to the Mother series, to be announced at a later date.

:arrow: Source

Anonymous42456

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hell with animal crossing s**t. This is the game true rpg fans are waiting for.. yes yes
But Animal Crossing is a simulation game... :mellow: Anyways, we would all like a new game in the Mother franchise, but sadly that isn't happening anytime soon. There IS hope for that 'other' game that doesn't have a set release, though.

Last edited by Anonymous42456,

Stealphie

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

The Mother franchise is getting something new, according to a Japanese teaser. Announced by franchise creator Shigesato Itoi is the "Hobonichi Mother Project", which involves the release of a book that will contain the script and dialogue from all three Mother titles. The book is planned for launch sometime before the end of 2020. That's not all though, as a trailer from publishing company Hobonichi also teases other "various goods and merchandise" related to the Mother series, to be announced at a later date.

:arrow: Source

H E Y
R E G G I E
G I V E
U S
M O T H E R 3

Reactions: tabzer
D

Deleted User

It better be mother 64 or mother 3.5, or just a complete mother 3 in some form
I don't want to die without knowing the true, full story of tazmily.

The gba game was a nice sample, but dang it's really lacking and all the teases to the full story just make it worse.
(It's better than nothing though.)

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
It better be mother 64 or mother 3.5, or just a complete mother 3 in some form
I don't want to die without knowing the true, full story of tazmily.

The gba game was a nice sample, but dang it's really lacking and all the teases to the full story just make it worse.
(It's better than nothing though.)
Wait, how is it lacking?

South Cape

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Just for anyone getting their hopes up, if this has Shigesato Itoi's Hobonichi branding on it (which it does), it's incredibly unlikely to be related to the games at all. If Hobonichi teams up with Nintendo to announce something, that's one thing, but the company is unrelated to Nintendo. I think Shigesato Itoi retains intellectual property rights (at least some of them) on the Mother series, but info not coming from Nintendo is very likely not game info and this goes double for the translation; there's literally no reason to release any info about an English translation through Hobonichi, a company that markets almost entirely to the Japanese market (except the Techo, but that's one small item in their absolutely massive catalogue of merchandise). Hobonichi runs Mother swag every year, so this is most likely the case.

One of the items announced from the "bunch of news that will make Mother fans happy" could very well be a collection or re-release or something, but it's a lot more likely to come from a Nintendo Direct than from an essentially unrelated company.

Last edited by South Cape,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Obviously, this is not going to get localized, just like Mother 3, and for the longest time, also Mother 1. It's like they think no one outside of Japan cares about the Mother series.
If I'm wrong and this does get localized, that is a good sign that Mother 3 could get localized also. Depends on how well this sells I guess, since only true fans and collectors are going to buy this, it's a good way to gauge the fan base that would be guaranteed to buy Mother 3 if it got localized, or maybe they're even considering a Mother 4. Maybe that's the idea? Gauge the interest by releasing a cheap (in terms of time invested in making it) item to see if there is enough interest to justify localizing Mother 3. Earthbound Beginnings is obviously not a very good metric since so few people bought a Wii U and Earthbound is so long ago, the series hadn't gained a dedicated fan base yet. So they probably don't actually have a very good idea of how well Mother 3 would sell outside of Japan. That is, if this gets localized at all, which I'm still skeptical of.
Remember people. Reggie chose gamestop over this.
I thought he was retired. I doubt he can do much to save GameStop. But he does seem to have a good business sense and probably knows better what gamers want than GameStop itself. It's just that what gamers want is not physical game stores and they can't do anything to change that, and branching out hasn't exactly helped. If GameStop weren't so greedy when it comes to used games, it might actually become a popular location for used games and it could help them stay afloat. But they don't wanna hear that, because used games and merch are their entire business these days.
Maybe they need to actually rebrand their entire franchise as a merch store and stop focusing on games. Like, go full ThinkGeek, even more so than they already have. Because, I do love ThinkGeek and all the weird stuff they sell, and I'm not seeing much of that at GameStop. It's mostly Funko Pops.
But I digress.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
But he does seem to have a good business sense

That is incorrect. It seems like he made a terrible business choice joining Gamestop right before it somehow tanked its already crappy brand. Leaving his position as COO/President/Chief Puppet of NOA to join the board of directors for Gamestop is like trading gold for gummy worms. He found a way to depreciate his image faster than when Ricky Martin came out of the closet.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That is incorrect. It seems like he made a terrible business choice joining Gamestop right before it somehow tanked its already crappy brand. Leaving his position as COO/President/Chief Puppet of NOA to join the board of directors for Gamestop is like trading gold for gummy worms. He found a way to depreciate his image faster than when Ricky Martin came out of the closet.
Let's not kid ourselves, he did not leave Nintendo to join GameStop. He retired.
I doubt he's going to stay with GameStop. If it works out and he's able to turn things around then great, go back to retirement. If not, no big loss, go back to retirement. He can't make things any worse.
I suppose he just saw an opportunity to improve things before finally throwing in the towel for real this time. It's more of a personal choice than a business one really. He probably didn't plan this and it wouldn't have changed anything with Nintendo if he didn't join GameStop.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Overclock your PS3!!! lol