• Start date
  • Views 1,736
  • Replies 0
  • Likes 3
D

Deleted User

OP
071bDzY.jpg

So Shenmue 1 & 2 HD is coming to all major platforms(hopefully Switch later on) this year. Personally these are my all time favorite games and I am over the moon that this is finally happening. But what about for people who don't care or have never played them? Well, I think theres a few reasons you might want to pick this game up anyway.

First off, if you've never played Shenmue before you just should plain and simple. It's a seminal title in gaming history. If being one of the first open world games wasn't ambitious enough, the game also incorporates several gameplay styles, has an unprecedented level of detail and interaction, at the time unrivaled graphical quality(which these games still look great even up against late PS2/early PS3 titles) and even features a handful of fully orchestrated music tracks.
This game is a technical achievement not only for just 1999 but even some aspects of this game haven't been bothered to be recaptured in modern games on hardware thats tens of times more powerful and without the small storage restraints of yesteryear. And the sequel, Shenmue 2, that only came out a little over a year later, only ups the ante and increases the size and scope of the game without skipping a beat. There is so much interactivity and completely optional things to see and do in these games that a lot of secrets aren't well documented or known even by the most hardcore fans.

8N0R6TZ.jpg

But maybe you've already played these games to death like me. Why buy it when we already own the Dreamcast original, the Xbox version of 2, and maybe even you have that coveted $200 PAL Dreamcast version of 2. What's in it for us? Well, the games are in native HD, has dual language support, WIDESCREEN(something that fans have been trying to make work correctly for the first game for years), have new control schemes, have both games in one easily accessible place, may have new features, all that good stuff. Let's get real though, you should support this because it may lead to future Shenmue productions. Yes, 3 is being worked on with no connections to Sega, but lets say 3 comes and goes and the story still isn't finished(Us fans know it wont be). Maybe the success of this rerelease will convince Sega to help fund a fourth game or maybe even full blown recreations rather than just HD ports. Its an interesting possiblity.

Now its time to talk to you. You know who you are. You hate Shenmue. You played it and hate it, or maybe you haven't played it at all but you just hate the rabbid fanbase. Maybe you should consider buying a copy of this anyway. It seems like Sega is experimenting with all these game rereleases. Possibly a test to gauge interests in older IPs. Maybe if this Shenmue HD collection does well, a franchise that you actually like will see a similar treatment. I think this is backed up by that popularity list they were showing when Shenmue HD was announced. This is an idea worth considering, I feel.

Maybe I'm just being a fanboy but I think these are legitimate reasons to support this release. I know I already have every version pre-ordered. Also the thing only costs $30 and that includes both games(as well as a poster if you buy physical!)and thats a steal as these games are quite big and have a lot to keep you busy.

fO2XnQS.jpg

I also wrote reviews for both games on this site(quality of writing not guaranteed)
https://gbatemp.net/review/shenmue.502/
https://gbatemp.net/review/shenmue-2.503/

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*