Share a tech tip with the person before you.

Basic idea. Share a little tech tip with the person before you, preferably something not completely obscure and more general or related to what we do around here. Even if it is somewhat obvious to you it might not be to others, many of us around here are self taught which can lead to some interesting gaps.

Notepad++ (the code it comes from is also used in Geany in linux and co). Arguably the premier open source windows text editor replacement (it is available as an option on https://ninite.com/ ).
The tip
Column select.
Hold alt and click and drag.
When combined with fixed width text it is so useful for a lot of things, especially ones where you have to do repeated actions, basic database ish work (trim columns from data, add things in the middle) and can not be bothered to fiddle with regular expressions.

Cartmanuk

Trophies
XP
Country
When you want to pretend that you are taking notes in IT class using MSWord while you're actully doing f*ck-all, type =rand(X,Y) where X is the number of paragraphs and Y is the number of sentence repeitions and hit Enter. The function will type random text from a built-in article.

On the Insert tab, the galleries include items that are designed to coordinate with the overall look of your document. You can use these galleries to insert tables, headers, footers, lists, cover pages, and other document building blocks. When you create pictures,

Reactions: Foxi4

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
When you want to pretend that you are taking notes in IT class using MSWord while you're actully doing f*ck-all, type =rand(X,Y) where X is the number of paragraphs and Y is the number of sentence repeitions and hit Enter. The function will type random text from a built-in article.

Never knew about that. Doesn't seem to work in 2003 either, is it 2007 +?

With Windows 7+ you can hold the ÿ key and press an arrow to snap window positions.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Never knew about that. Doesn't seem to work in 2003 either, is it 2007 +?

With Windows 7+ you can hold the ÿ key and press an arrow to snap window positions.
It works in every revision of MSWord, only the random text changes. You can try using =rand() instead - this will just create random text without pre-set paragraph and repetition settings.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Yes, because we all have that key. :P
In almost every application ever made, ALT-F4 enables privacy mode. No one can see your window then.
chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f-25x28.png

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Most people switch tabs using ALT+TAB, but when you have several instances of one program open, you don't always know which window you want to switch to and the previews aren't always 100% helpful. Save yourself some time and do it the fancy way by switching windows using ÿ+TAB in 3D like a boss.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The random text fill is interesting, I had never seen it before. I would usually go for Lorem Ipsum if I needed random text and faking work being done was usually better done by making invisible text and relying on the teachers using "count words". Simply taking notes though.... I am not sure I have ever been inclined to fake it.

As for a tip I already mentioned it in the opening paragraph and on many other occasions but
Do you find yourself installing PCs for yourself, family, work...? Do you carry a USB drive full of programs you need to keep updated because of it? Do you spend hours watching the install bars go up?

If such things annoy you then https://ninite.com/
Is able to make custom installers for about every program that really matters to most people (certainly everything needed to make a basic user/business PC save for non PDF and Air adobe stuff), as it downloads them they are always up to date and for the most part you run it and it installs everything with the options you tend to want (no toolbars, no junk, just install).

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
A couple that should be known by everyone, but somehow aren't:

Accidentally closed a tab while browsing? Hit CTRL+SHIFT+T, it reopens closed tabs.

Need to quickly access Windows Task Manager? CTRL+SHIFT+ESC brings it right up.

Copying from a website copies the format, too. Instead of pasting and then applying your format to the text, just use CTRL+SHIFT+V.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use HotKeyz to set up my own mini shortcut keys in Windows :[ Hardly techy, but I often do a lot of manual game modding, and getting to an install folder rather fast is useful instead of using the explorer :x

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Never Cut and Paste files from an external HDD or SD.
Copy, Paste and then delete the original.
You will avoid headaches and loss of data if that external device happened to fail because of -reasons- (*1).

(*1) As Murphy's laws state, there always are -reasons-.

Reactions: slaphappygamer

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in windows vista and later: hit the windows key, type 4 or so letters of the program you want then hit enter and it will instantly open.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Win + E instantly opens a new File Explorer tab. Win + D minimizes all your open windows to show your desktop.
For those of you using Firefox: Ctrl + Shift + E opens a view where you can organize your tabs in groups. Great if you want to have a work group and a fun group. Cycle between them using Ctrl + (Shift + ) `.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium

If such things annoy you then https://ninite.com/
Is able to make custom installers for about every program that really matters to most people (certainly everything needed to make a basic user/business PC save for non PDF and Air adobe stuff), as it downloads them they are always up to date and for the most part you run it and it installs everything with the options you tend to want (no toolbars, no junk, just install).

You can make it easier if you know what you want from Ninite -> ninite.com/firefox or ninite.com/java, will download at once only a firefox installer or the java installer.

If you really like flash included (free version of Ninite does not include flash) you can download patchmypc for free, does the same as Ninite + few things extra, like download and install windows updates, reboot pc after updates, etc...), you can't do individual installers with patchmypc :/, but you can modify startup programs, uninstall and shedule your updates and choose in what languages (if available to install).

PatchMyPC screenshots of possibilities
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

3DSXLGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
in windows vista and later: hit the windows key, type 4 or so letters of the program you want then hit enter and it will instantly open.

Dude, thanks!

I was trying this on windows 8.1 like a dummy but It helped me discover something else.
I always used windows key + f and click on files to change it to everything, but if you use windows key + s it just goes to everything automatically.B-)
(Guess that's my tip)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...