" Sex education 'should begin at four' "

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by dice, Jul 4, 2008.

?
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. wynsezhello

wynsezhello Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2007
    Taguig City
    whoever suggested to give sex ed to four-year-old kids is a pervert.

sex complicates things. why should we corrupt children at such an early age?

2. BlueStar

BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 10, 2006
    UK
    Thing is, sex education shouldn't just be "Put part a in to part b, wiggle it about (see fig. 2)"

3. Prophet

Prophet Resident Black Militant

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    I think you should speak to a kid as early as possible, four is fine... just as long as I'm not the one who has to have the awkward chat. [​IMG]

But really, "wear a condom" should be ingrained into a child mind just like "stealing is bad." The earlier the better.

God, can you imagine the sesame street episodes this would spawn?

4. Dio

Dio WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Dec 29, 2007
    United States
    Mount Vernon, WA
    I think everyone should see these French commercials:

5. Sinkhead

Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

Former Staff
    Nov 22, 2006
    Across the pond
    I'm hoping that by "sex education" at age four, they actually mean something like "relationship education" where they teach people about friendship and being a good person. A simplified version of citizenship, really, then moving onto the more 'serious' stuff later on, at 11-12 as people have suggested.

6. Hooya

Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 25, 2006
    United States
    Central Illinois
    I voted yes, only because I know that the public school system in the U.S. (I know this is not a U.S. article, just saying) a kid wouldn't even be in school at that age. Sex, body parts, relationship training, all are continuous. Obviously you wouldn't talk to a 6 year old about sex because they simply won't understand - their wiring isn't completed in that way yet. The idea though is to get them to understand how to treat people and themselves.

But you have to understand that very young people (7 year olds even) masturbate, so it's not like there isn't some issue there to discuss.

Dio: That third one is HILARIOUS!

7. ackers

ackers GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 17, 2007
    I think it's definitely wrong to discuss sex with 4yr old children, it's waaaay too early for them to have the idea of what sex is burned into their minds at such a young age. I first learned about sex when I was about 7 or 8 and even then I was grossed out about it (obviously that changes when you get older [​IMG]).

Just let the kids, be kids.

P.s guy above, how do you know some 7yr olds masturbate? [​IMG]

8. Hooya

Aug 25, 2006
    United States
    Central Illinois
    We were all 7 once dude.

9. Rehehelly

Rehehelly GBAtemp Regular

Oct 4, 2007
    Hey, if I was four years old and I learnt about a vagina, i'd probably ask a girl in my glass to see theirs.

I started learning at 8/9 I believe. Year 4 in UK terms. I remember those days, we got told if we laughed we'd be sent out.

Half the class would have been outside if they stuck to those rules. Silly teachers.

10. deathfisaro

deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Mar 16, 2007
    Canada
    Vancouver, BC
    I strongly oppose showing that to four year olds. Even fourth graders. Actually I simple plain hated it.

11. jaxxster

jaxxster The Heretic

Oct 31, 2006
    South East London
    4 Is way to young! If my son/daughter got taught sex ed shiz at that age i'd have a big complaint to make to the teachers. It's pointless. 13/14 is fine because thats when theyre getting into that stuff.

12. silent sniper

silent sniper !dennaB

Jan 3, 2008
    Canada
    Vancouver, Canada
    Never thought about it like that. Dammit! I can't change my answer!

13. Hooya

Aug 25, 2006
    United States
    Central Illinois
    I think what's happening here are people see two things:
    Sex, Four-year-olds.

How retarded do you think you have to be to think that teaching adult sexual stuff to four year olds is a good idea? Kids that young literally won't understand what the hell you're talking about, but that's not what the article is talking about.

But I will say this; when I was 6 or 7 I didn't even know what the parts of the female anatomy were called - it was a taboo subject, so even asking what the names were or saying the names was a dirty thing. Why is that the case? I had to ask my female cousin what the heck it was really called because the only word I knew for it was "coochie". Is that healthy? To be referring to it as a coochie? Why not teach kids some basics about what their bodies are and how to related to others and teach them what is appropriate in school, at the dinner table, church, or in private. Just like you teach your kids not to yell out "I have to go poop!" in the middle of a church service you should teach them simple things about their bodies, what they mean, and appropriate situations to use those words and talk about those things.

Now can we stop thinking that this concept is about teaching 4 year olds how to have sex - because it's NOT!

Oh, one final thing: ask yourself why you think that knowing about sex is somehow taking away some magical innocence. The correct answer is not "because it is", by the way.

14. WelshLadGriff

WelshLadGriff Member

Newcomer
    May 16, 2008
    Wales
    I learned at 6; I really shouldn't of asked what those dogs were doing, Curse you Father..

But yeah, 4 is too young, maybe at lears 5 or 6 years later would be better for kids to come to terms why these 'things' happen. But i don't see how you can stop teen pregnancies with teens going about with 'SMEX IS THA BOMZ' to all of their friends =/

15. DarkAura

DarkAura Offline

Aug 20, 2007
    Canada
    Over there.
    Lol that's how you learn early. See some dogs humping and go wtf are they doing? All I'm wondering now is about the censorship issue. Like there are kids who stay up late watching TV, will they censor them sex shows?

16. WelshLadGriff

WelshLadGriff Member

Newcomer
    May 16, 2008
    Wales
    Well, Kids shouldn't be up that late at all, and as far as i know there are some channels, should be barred with a password or something. Kids should just stick to Disney DVDs =3

17. The Teej

The Teej Also known as The Tjalian

Former Staff
    Jun 27, 2004
    England
    Actually I think at 11, instead of just sex ed, and teaching them the mechanics of sex, they should also tell them the emotional impact it makes, and it's better to buy a pack of condoms for £5.99 then having to pay hundreds each month on a screaming whining mouth for the next 18 years [​IMG] Oh, and show them THIS advert:

If you want to reduce teenage pregnancies, scare the fuck out of them.

18. Rod

Rod GBAtemp Fan

May 16, 2008
    Brazil
    Four is too soon.

19. Ruri

Ruri GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 20, 2007
    United States
    They are not talking about actually teaching kids how to have sex at four. They're talking about teaching them the difference between male and female bodies, and de-mystifying things like that.

Most children do learn that at the age of four. This is not controversal, it's just being expressed controversally in the media.

20. mastermanna123

mastermanna123 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2008
    United States
    Under your bed.
    Wanna reduce teen pregnancies?
    [​IMG] Teach them sex ed when they're 20 years old. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted