ChaosPaladinFayt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi,

I downgraded my n3ds XL successfully, so it's on version 9.2.0-0U.

After following this guide:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...ncluding-emunand-coldboot-cia-manager.405589/

I got to the point where I was supposed to rename boot.3dsx to bhbl.3dsx. Then the guide just says:
  • You want to add CtrBootManager now. Unzip the package and download the boot.cfg at the end of this thread under Attached Files.
    • This sets up CtrBootManager to show rxTools and Homebrew Menu, and starts rxTools EmuNAND (also called rxMode) if you don't press any key for three seconds.
    • Of course you can edit the boot.cfg to your likings, add more menu items or other CFW if you want.
    • Then copy boot.3dsx and boot.cfg to the root of your microSD.
There's a boot.cfg that came with CtrBootManager, and the one that I downloaded at the bottom of the guide. The guide doesn't actually say which one to use. As a result, I'm unable to actually boot directly into CtrBootManager from turning the console on. Instead, I have to enter CtrBootManager from scanning the QR code from here:

http://yls8.mtheall.com/3dsbrowserhax.php

Then I am able to pick if I want to boot into HBL or rxTools. That is my first problem.

My second problem is that also while following the guide step by step, I had supposedly intalled FBI.cia by entering pastaCFW and then entering FBI Installer in HBL to install the cia. FBI Installer had told me that the installation was successful. Since I wasn't on CFW yet, I wasn't able to see FBI on the homescreen (which I thought nothing of the time). When I entered rxTools and was on emuNAND, FBI wasn't present on my homescreen, so I attempted to follow this guide in order to inject FBI into the health and safety app instead:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-inject-any-app-into-health-safety-o3ds-n3ds-cfw-only.402236/

I was able to successfully dump my hs.app to the root of the SD card, I took it out of my SD card, put it in the "input" folder of Universal-Inject-Generator. Then ran the go.bat file in administrator mode, which gave me and error saying that "hs.app was not found". That is my second problem.

I'm trying to figure out what exactly went wrong with those two things, like why FBI was not present on the homescreen (even though I installed the cia to SD, which is set already by default), and why UIG won't let me inject FBI into hs.app when it's clearly in the folder like the guide says it should be in.

If anyone has any input on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks~!

coreycubed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sounds like you forgot to reinstall Menuhax after the downgrade...

• Now go into Homebrew Launcher again, as it was described in step 2 - deactivate Internet, scan QR code, activate internet while browser is loading, and Homebrew Launcher will start.
  • This time choose MenuHax. If you want to switch on your N3DS and have it boot into EmuNAND automatically, choose Type2.
    • I strongly recommend that, as it makes things way more convenient. If for whatever reason you don't want that, read the following explanation:
      • In short, Type1 will mean you have to hold a specific button to coldboot CtrBootManager and if you don't hold it, SysNAND will boot. Type2 is the opposite - CtrBootManager will coldboot if you do not hold a specific button and only boot SysNAND if you hold the button during boot. If you want to switch on your N3DS and automatically be in EmuNAND, use Type2. I recommend Type2 and I will write the following parts of the tutorial as if you chose Type2. If you want Type1, just keep in mind that you will have to hold your button every time you boot your device
  • You will have to set a button now that bypasses MenuHax, just press it and touch the bottom screen to confirm. This will set up the coldboot now.
    • If you don't hold the button you just set during booting, MenuHax will initiate.
    • If you hold it while booting, SysNAND will load.
  • Switch off your N3DS, switch it on and your top screen should glitch and throw you directly into Homebrew Launcher. Your device is now set to coldboot a file called boot.3dsx, which loads Homebrew Launcher.
  • Switch your N3DS off again, put your microSD into your computer and find the boot.3dsx in the root of your microSD.
    • This is our entry point, you could basically put anything there that runs as a 3dsx and your N3DS would automatically start it when you switch it on.

ChaosPaladinFayt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It sounds like you forgot to reinstall Menuhax after the downgrade...

• Now go into Homebrew Launcher again, as it was described in step 2 - deactivate Internet, scan QR code, activate internet while browser is loading, and Homebrew Launcher will start.
  • This time choose MenuHax. If you want to switch on your N3DS and have it boot into EmuNAND automatically, choose Type2.
    • I strongly recommend that, as it makes things way more convenient. If for whatever reason you don't want that, read the following explanation:
      • In short, Type1 will mean you have to hold a specific button to coldboot CtrBootManager and if you don't hold it, SysNAND will boot. Type2 is the opposite - CtrBootManager will coldboot if you do not hold a specific button and only boot SysNAND if you hold the button during boot. If you want to switch on your N3DS and automatically be in EmuNAND, use Type2. I recommend Type2 and I will write the following parts of the tutorial as if you chose Type2. If you want Type1, just keep in mind that you will have to hold your button every time you boot your device
  • You will have to set a button now that bypasses MenuHax, just press it and touch the bottom screen to confirm. This will set up the coldboot now.
    • If you don't hold the button you just set during booting, MenuHax will initiate.
    • If you hold it while booting, SysNAND will load.
  • Switch off your N3DS, switch it on and your top screen should glitch and throw you directly into Homebrew Launcher. Your device is now set to coldboot a file called boot.3dsx, which loads Homebrew Launcher.
  • Switch your N3DS off again, put your microSD into your computer and find the boot.3dsx in the root of your microSD.
    • This is our entry point, you could basically put anything there that runs as a 3dsx and your N3DS would automatically start it when you switch it on.

Oh ok, so I simply press "install" on menuhaxmanager, and it should be fine?

ChaosPaladinFayt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dope, I solved the problem of not being able to inject FBI.cia into hs.app by actually putting FBI.ca in the same folder as hs.app. I overlooked that step by mistake =(

I'll be testing it later, but what happens if still no cia's are present on emunand?

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Once you get FBI injected, use it to install BigBlueMenu and use that instead. So far no failures with it for me. Even used it to update.

ChaosPaladinFayt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Once you get FBI injected, use it to install BigBlueMenu and use that instead. So far no failures with it for me. Even used it to update.

Thank for the suggestion. When I try to install BigBlueMenu in FBI, I get an error saying:

Install failed!
BigBlueMenu.cia
Source: SOURCE_FSFILE_WRITE (0X1c)
Module: MODULE_NN_FS (0X11)
Level: LEVEL_PERMANENT (0x1b)
Summary: SUMMARY_WRONG_ARGUMENT (0x8)
Description: DESCRIPTION_INVALID_DATABASE (0x189)

Edit: Would this error have to do something with not having a \dbs with title.db and import.db in it in one of the folders with the numbers and letters? There are a total of three folders like that, two of which I made sure had a /dbs folder, and the third one I didn't. I'll test it now to see what happens.

Edit 2: Nevermind, still doesn't work, still having the same issue. (even went to ds software and repaired the database)

Last edited by ChaosPaladinFayt,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: lorelei from pokemon is so fuckin bad bro