Setting Up Partitions for emuMMC with Hekate5.0/NYX

Warning!

By following this tutorial you will format your SD card, deleting everything that is saved on it.
Make sure to backup the contents of your SD card beforehand.
Also formatting the wrong drive (PC drive) will mess things up big time.
Make very sure that you know which drive is you SD Card!

This is not a comprehensive emuMMC tutorial, i'm pretty much just covering the partition setup.

* connect your SD card to your PC

* press WIN+R and type in diskmgmt.msc then hit OK

* locate your SD Card and delete all partitions on that disk (should only be 1 partition)

* right click on the SD card and select "New Simple Volume". click next untill you can define the size of the volume.

* Take the suggested numer and subtract 29828. use the resulting number as the size for the volume and create it.
You will end up with one partition at the beginning and unallocated space at the end.

* right click the unallocated space and select "New Simple Volume" click next, leave the suggested size, next, next, select "Do not format this volume", next, finish.

* now we have our 2 partitions, but we still need to format our first partition to FAT32 using guiformat

* right click the guiformat exe and select start as administrator (not sure if necessary)

* under "Drive" select the first partition we just created (use Drive letter for orientation), select 32768 allocation size, quick format checked and hit start.

* DONE

Place all your atmosphere/hekate/NYX files onto the first partition, as this partition will be your regular SD card. The second partition will become your emuMMC.
Boot into Hekate5.0/NYX select emuMMC > Create emuMMC > SD Partition > Continue

konamicode89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you didn't set up a partition, it is unlikely you'd be able to establish a partition based emuMMC with hekate, unless that manages it now--which I don't think is the case. You might want to check your SD card in the emuMMC directory to check for a file based backup of the NAND. The emummc.ini should also give more information.

I have checked the emummc.ini file and because I do not under the information and would like help I'm going to post it here

this is what it shows on for both switches:

[emummc]
enabled=1
sector=0x3e9d800
path=emuMMC/RAW1
id=0x0000
nintendo_path=emuMMC/RAW1/Nintendo

as I said before there is like 20gb worth of data that is not present on the sd when I insert it into my PC, and it doesn't show up on my sysnand either. I have also concluded that none of my emummc setups went to the 31GB partitions I made on either of them. So it's safe to assume that perhaps I need to redo my emummc so that it's installed into the partitions I made for them at the least.

Update: okay so I've read from github that hekate/nyx has an issue detecting secondary sd card partitions and can only create partition based emummc from the same partition that you used to boot hekate/nyx into. Running the setup again from hekate/nyx will only overwrite your current sysnand over your existing emunand. The workaround in my own terms according to what I've read on GitHub is that you have to set the partition for emummc as the primary partition using third party software (I used minitool partition manager) and the other partition/s as logical. Set up your emummc then change your first partition back to primary and install a second emummc if you wish.

I still don't understand how hekate creates a partition based emunand, partition data doesn't show or takes up space on my SD but the config files are there, and after trying to create two emunands the migrate emummc function just seems to copy the config files from the second partition and merge it with the first one. With the space for either emummc nowhere to be found.

@tabzer wait were you telling me that I shouldn't even be attempting to manage my emunand partitions on hekate at all? if hekate isn't used to manage it then what is being used then?

I'm only sharing what I have learned to help others and to get feedback

@tabzer I also really liked the multiboot setup that I read up on from an older thread, but due to my lack of know-how I've always wanted to find an easier way to get it done. I just want to get a stocknand/cfw emummc/android/Linux setup

Last edited by konamicode89,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, i have a physical copy of mgs4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ok I tried it and 1) it doesnt boot wood menu automatically and 2) when trying to load a game through wood theres just a loading screen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's low on wood
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    lemme ask in forums
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty No you heard wrong, and don't believe till you experience yourself. Fallout 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. Yes it had issues early on, esp with older hardware like the xbox1, but it is awesome, esp now being 4k on Series S/X or PS5
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Then i think people were talking about fallout 76
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that one was buggy too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download...