Setting Up Partitions for emuMMC with Hekate5.0/NYX

Discussion in 'Switch - Tutorials' started by ErnieBall, Jun 30, 2019.

1. ErnieBall
    OP

ErnieBall Member

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2017
    Germany
    Warning!

By following this tutorial you will format your SD card, deleting everything that is saved on it.
    Make sure to backup the contents of your SD card beforehand.
    Also formatting the wrong drive (PC drive) will mess things up big time.
    Make very sure that you know which drive is you SD Card!

This is not a comprehensive emuMMC tutorial, i'm pretty much just covering the partition setup.

* connect your SD card to your PC

* press WIN+R and type in diskmgmt.msc then hit OK

* locate your SD Card and delete all partitions on that disk (should only be 1 partition)

* right click on the SD card and select "New Simple Volume". click next untill you can define the size of the volume.

* Take the suggested numer and subtract 29828. use the resulting number as the size for the volume and create it.
    You will end up with one partition at the beginning and unallocated space at the end.

* right click the unallocated space and select "New Simple Volume" click next, leave the suggested size, next, next, select "Do not format this volume", next, finish.

* now we have our 2 partitions, but we still need to format our first partition to FAT32 using guiformat

* right click the guiformat exe and select start as administrator (not sure if necessary)

* under "Drive" select the first partition we just created (use Drive letter for orientation), select 32768 allocation size, quick format checked and hit start.

* DONE

Place all your atmosphere/hekate/NYX files onto the first partition, as this partition will be your regular SD card. The second partition will become your emuMMC.
    Boot into Hekate5.0/NYX select emuMMC > Create emuMMC > SD Partition > Continue

2. Rimaahkehs

Rimaahkehs Member

Newcomer
    May 21, 2019
    India
    Doesn't it do everything itself like in SX os I mean where you don't have to make partition using pc

3. Rimaahkehs

Rimaahkehs Member

Newcomer
    May 21, 2019
    India
    And one other question what does you mean by suggested number in step 5 it would be if you explain that step a little thanks for your time and effort

4. jakkal

jakkal GBAtemp Addict

Apr 27, 2018
    United States
    not yet

5. ErnieBall
    OP

ErnieBall Member

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2017
    Germany
    when you create a new volume, it will ask you what size the volume should have. by default it will show the maximum usable space. Thats what i mean by suggested number.

6. Beetlebum89

Beetlebum89 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Hi Ernie,

Thank you for this. I followed these steps but can’t see a way to launch into emummc.

Click Launch gives me:
    No main boot entries found

And more configs gives me:
    No .ini or boot entries found

Any ideas?

7. Eliastik

Eliastik Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2018
    France
    You need to create a file named hekate_ipl.ini in the bootloader folder on your SD Card, with this content (I tested and it works well) :
    Code:
    [Stock]
    fss0=atmosphere/fusee-secondary.bin
    stock=1
    emummc_force_disable=1

[emuMMC]
    fss0=atmosphere/fusee-secondary.bin
    If the file already exists add this content at the end of this file.

Last edited by Eliastik, Jun 30, 2019
    ErnieBall likes this.
  8. ErnieBall
    OP

ErnieBall Member

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2017
    Germany
    I ran into the same issue, but it has to do with basic Hekate / Atmosphere setup. To be honest, i don't really know what is missing here,
    but i think something is missing insinde the bootloader folder. This is probably an easy fix for anyone who has more experience with setting up atmosphere.

However!:
    It did work for me, when i used Kosmos. I just created a package via https://www.sdsetup.com/console?switch and used those files instead.

EDIT: just saw the reply by Eliastik , that is probably the better advice

Last edited by ErnieBall, Jun 30, 2019
  9. Beetlebum89

Beetlebum89 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Thank you guys, sorted : )

10. alba93

alba93 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2019
    France
    thanks for your tutorial
    what is the aim of having 2 partitions on the SD card?
    Only one partition for emunand isn't sufficient?
    i mean : clean nand + emunand on the SD card

11. ErnieBall
    OP

ErnieBall Member

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2017
    Germany
    You can also use file based emuMMC, which wouldn't require a separate partition, but it's not optimized and the devs don't recommend using it.

12. KazoWAR

KazoWAR GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2008
    United States
    Winter Haven
    So when we create the second partition, the size is 29827? My card is 30435, so when i remove 29828 it leaves me with 607 for partition 1, and the second partition can only be 29827.

13. hiroakihsu

hiroakihsu SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD

Aug 10, 2003
    United States
    On the edge of my seat
    I have a question...Once I've created and booted into emuMMC, I notice that all my installed games would tell me to redownload them when I try to launch them...Do I need to reinstall all my games?

Edit: Looked into the emummc.ini file in the emuMMC folder on my SD and realized it was redirecting to the nintendo folder inside the emuMMC folder...editing the pathway to nintendo folder on the root of SD instead seemed to solve my problem.

Last edited by hiroakihsu, Jul 1, 2019
  14. KnightRiderX420

KnightRiderX420 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2018
    United States
    can you use exfat instead of fat32? i am too new to splitting stuff

I have no issues otherwize bith cfw emunamd and stock firmware load fine and also i installed incognito on my cfw emunand but kept it on my stock fw i am able to browse shop without issues and then goto emunamnd and play rom switch back and no ban so far I used the atmosphere kip method i found that allows incognito to write to prodinfo you just have to load fusee-primary after setup hekate wont work but you can also load hekate and choose payloads and load fusee from there or even use payload launcher in hb menu... so now if i want to use youtube i use stock fw otr even if i wanna seee upcomming games and if i wanna play a rom i use cfw not cfw(emmnamd disabled) for obvious reasons.... this seems ideal so far i wonder how lomng my unbanded switch wil last.... the emunand prodinfo is 0000000000 and the stock one loads the original as i canstill check for updates too... if it kept the 0000000 it wouldnt even connect to the servers... YaY :)

Last edited by KnightRiderX420, Jul 1, 2019
  15. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Regular

Feb 15, 2019
    Japan
    There is usually a better alternative to splitting files. USB installs of large games don't need it if that's what you think that's why you need exfat. Fat32 is stable. Exfat, not so much (on HB Switch).

16. KnightRiderX420

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2018
    United States
    for some odd reason goldtree and leaf won't sync it says not connected on both. it worked on other fw np

thanx for the clarification

17. cots

cots GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    This method didn't work for me. I had to manually create and format each partition as FAT32 using another external program. Tried numerous times using Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 with the built in Disk Manager. Hekate refused to work unless the emuMMC partition was formatted.

Your post is also a copy and paste from Reddit.

Last edited by cots, Jul 1, 2019
    Rahkeesh likes this.
  18. KazoWAR

KazoWAR GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2008
    United States
    Winter Haven
    when I run the fusee-primary, do i need to have any config files setup to boot into emuMMC or will it do that as default? I do not want to boot into eMMC with CFW at all.

Last edited by KazoWAR, Jul 1, 2019
  19. KnightRiderX420

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2018
    United States
    you may meed the ini file grab the template thats all i did then blamo its a template

Attached Files:

20. Hamdan

Hamdan GBAtemp Regular

Dec 14, 2018
    Pakistan
    I created the EmuMMC but how do i boot it through hekate?
    Putting the 'ipl' file in bootloader directory results in just being deleted everytime i boot using hekate?!