Sent two Xbox's by Mistake...

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by CheatingSoi, Dec 4, 2015.

1. CheatingSoi
    OP

CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

Apr 4, 2007
    United States
    Wisconsin
    I ordered an Xbox one with an extra controller and two games on black Friday. I received it a few days ago... and then I received it again today. I looked it up. It's the same transaction number, they just both came from different warehouses and they did not charge me twice so it was a glitch in their system. So my questions is... what would you do in my situation? I feel like I won the lottery and could just keep it and sell it for profit. But I don't know if they will eventually realized their error and I also feel kind of bad doing that. But it would also be tough to just give it back. I don't know what to do and am wondering if anything like this has ever happened to you. Please, give me some insight!

2. vayanui8

vayanui8 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    You should keep it for about a month in case they figure out there was an error. That way you can return it without issues if they do figure it out. If they haven't figured it out after a month you will probably be fine, and I'd recommend just selling the second one or giving it to a friend at that point.

Xenon Hacks and Saiyan Lusitano like this.
  3. ComeTurismO

ComeTurismO CTO

Sep 18, 2011
    Canada
    4:54 PM
    Or me, perhaps.

But yeah, OP; call them and let them know I Guess

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  4. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Wait a month if they don't charge you for it then don't say anything if you get charges or they ask for it return it back, also don't open it at all.

vayanui8 likes this.
  5. VinsCool

VinsCool Detached from Reality

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Do a giveaway :)

nxwing, Lycanroc, loco365 and 2 others like this.
  6. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    yup, just sit on it for a month then resell it, give it away, whatever
    bestbuy did this years ago when they sent me an ipod nano when I only ordered an $5 dvd or something
    the never asked for it and I resold it later

7. CheatingSoi
    OP

Apr 4, 2007
    United States
    Wisconsin
    I guess that's a good idea. I still feel kinda bad about it though.

8. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    If you feel bad then call them. If you call and they say to keep it, you get to feel good and get a present. If they say send it back, you may lose your present, but you'll feel good about it. A win/win either way. Obviously, I would never think of telling them, but then again idgaf.

9. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    The only times I've had something similar happen I was told to keep the extra since there was no record of it anyways, although it was only a PS3 controller, not a console bundle. I don't know if they could legally force you to send it back or not (given that it's more hassle than the $300 they lost), but it might be good to check in with their customer support about it either way. If you've got no use for it and were feeling really generous I'd trade you a 4.5 3DS XL for it, assuming Dell (I'm assuming it's Dell's BF deal, what with the extra controller) doesn't ask for it back.

10. CheatingSoi
    OP

Apr 4, 2007
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Very good, It was Dell. But yeah if I were to keep it, I would certainly sell it on eBay for the most profit. Otherwise it wouldn't be worth it to me. I've already had so many offers from people I've told but at that point, I'd rather just send it back. I feel like they would want it back since it was a more expensive item. I don't know. I guess I'll just sit on it for a few days and then go with whatever I feel like.

11. Blood Fetish

Blood Fetish Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nov 3, 2002
    United States
    If you have integrity you'll return it.

12. Jack_Sparrow
    This message by Jack_Sparrow has been removed from public view by p1ngpong, Dec 4, 2015, Reason: useless.
    Dec 4, 2015
  13. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    I wouldn't call them. E-mail them or, even better, write a letter and send by recorded delivery. That way you have evidence that you've made an effort if they then do decide to chase it further down the line. It has the other advantage that emails and letters have a bigger chance of being lost in administration as opposed to a phone call which generally invites immediate attention

14. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Using a contact method that is more likely to be lost in delivery defeats the purpose of contacting them in the first place... we're not trying to trick the OP's ego here.

Ammako and Jack_Sparrow like this.
  15. Blood Fetish

Blood Fetish Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nov 3, 2002
    United States
    "we're not trying to trick the OP's ego here"

Of course we are. The OP knows what is right. He's looking for an excuse to justify his selfishness.

NEP, Saiyan Lusitano and CheatingSoi like this.
  16. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Sort of happened to a client once -- ordered a machine, cancelled it within the hour but it, the eventual other machine ordered and a 64 gig SDXC arrived over the coming days.

He phoned up and they sent a courier for the machine but he was told to keep the SDXC, which were still very new on the market and as expensive as such things usually are, at this point. It was not a spectacular machine by any means (just a refurb core2) but hey,

Otherwise I had a friend who played logistics consultant and would get dragged in to sort out failing companies, or at least the logistics side of things. From the stories he told then the OP's would have been a good thing to come across when called in.

As for moral suggestions I leave that to others to do or do not. I am curious how Dell managed this as they are more of a logistics and finance company at this point than a computer one.

17. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    It depends if you really want to keep the XBox or not, doesn't it?

18. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    Like they said wait some time.

I had something like this as well before twice with less expensive stuff and as I am an idiot I told the company they made a mistake and as a thanks I was allowed to send it back to them not getting even a thank you or anything for beeing a nice guy -.-V
    If you are nice and abid the law you are the idiot for anyone (girls usually don't like nice guys as well even though none of them would actually say that out open)

19. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

GBAtemp Patron
    pwsincd is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    They can afford to make mistakes like that , they can afford the loss. Donate to GBA for an xmas giveaway tourney.

20. Willemoke

Willemoke GBAtemp Regular

Oct 30, 2007
    Netherlands
    I'd send it back, taking advantage of an error would feel like stealing to me, if you were not trying to contact them about the circumstances.

21. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    If the OP really wanted to keep the Xbox, he wouldn't have even brought it up. Obviously (s)he's torn. Either that, or just wants validation.