Semi Bricked, not sure what version

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by bedake, May 20, 2009.

May 20, 2009
  1. bedake
    OP

Newcomer bedake Member

United States
    My apologies for the noobish questions.

I have a semi bricked wii and I am not sure what version it is or what exactly caused the semi brick. I was wondering if anyone could tell me a way to determine what firmware is installed and whatever was installed over it that caused the semi brick. This happened a while back without my realization and I have since forgotten much about the issue. At one point I downloaded the semi brick rescue disc but I had no luck with that.

Thanks for the help.
    EDIT:
    Would I be able to use a new game that contains the 4.0 update to fix my wii?

2. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Are you able to get into the Wii's recovery menu at all (via Savemiifree or if you had the Starfall hack installed)?

3. Soplox

Banned Soplox Banned

Puerto Rico
    what exactly happen with your wii, what was the last thing you did on it?

4. bedake
    OP

Newcomer bedake Member

United States
    Thanks for the quick responses.

No idea what caused it to be honest, this occurred a long time ago and I kinda got complacent using my wii just as a media center with geexbox haha

I'll try and use a gamecube remote here soon and try that out. Thanks for all the input.

5. Soplox

Banned Soplox Banned

Puerto Rico
    You can enter to the Homebrew Channel?

6. bedake
    OP

Newcomer bedake Member

United States
    Yes, I can enter the homebrew channel fine but I can not enter the system settings menu.

7. Soplox

Banned Soplox Banned

Puerto Rico
    your wii is PAL or NTSC?

8. bedake
    OP

Newcomer bedake Member

United States
    NTSCU, sorry for not mentioning that. The last version I knew for sure I used was 3.2u but Im not sure If i ever upgraded from that and what I installed that bricked it

9. revolution

Newcomer revolution Member

United States
    If you can access the hbc can't you just run cios downgrader to install a different system menu and then go from there.

10. Soplox

Banned Soplox Banned

Puerto Rico
  11. bedake
    OP

Newcomer bedake Member

United States

I have tried this before but was never able to find any success. I'll try it again right now and see if I can get any results.

12. Vidboy10

Member Vidboy10 Tsardom

Canada
    do you have HBC installed?

13. Soplox

Banned Soplox Banned

Puerto Rico
    what you mean by no success?

14. muck chucker

Member muck chucker GBAtemp Regular

United States
    you will need to install iso249 first one of the latest ones then run anyregion changer

15. Soplox

Banned Soplox Banned

Puerto Rico
    did you fixed it?

16. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    well if you're semi-bricked, i assume you installed an update off an out-of-region disc. just get Punch-Out!! from your own region and run it and update using it and you're sweet. If it happened a long time ago, then you wont be on 4.0, so it'll make you update, which is what you want. HBC will still work fine and you can still install DVDx and BootMii on 4.0 if you use the HackMii installer. I'd recommend installing BootMii as boot2 if possible and taking a NAND dump in case of a future brick.

17. bedake
    OP

Newcomer bedake Member

United States
    Sorry for such a delayed response. I ran anyregion changer and reverted the wii back to 3.1u. This fixed the problem! Then a few days later the homebrew channel notified me I could update it. I did so, as well as installed or updated DVDX as it also gave the option to do so.

After the programs did their things, the system rebooted and now I cannot access the homebrew channel at all. Anyone have any idea what happened? Also, should I make a new thread since this is now off topic?

Thanks for all the help.

If I went and got punch out, would this solve this problem?

Just some more info on the situation not sure of what value it is.
    I had gamma channel installed and i can still boot games with it.

I just tried to play my actual mario kart game disc and it wants to update my wii. can I allow it to do so?
    EDIT AGAIN:
    I just allowed the update and the game runs and my wii is still in the same position with no access to homebrew channel. Still just takes you to a black screen.

18. Kixy

Newcomer Kixy Member

United Kingdom
    Can you remember how you installed the Homebrew Channel in the first instance?

Use that same method (Twilight Hack, or BannerBomb) to run the HackMii 0.2 boot.elf

Uninstall the Homebrew Channel.

Then use the (Twilight Hack or Bannerbomb) again to install an older version of the Homebrew Channel, one which you know was working.

EDIT: Or, check this post out: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=158...p;#entry2019427

And out of interest, are your Wii Settings still ok after installing the Mario Kart update?

19. bedake
    OP

Newcomer bedake Member

United States
    the settings are still working fine

Do I have to reinstall using the same method as before? I used the twilight hack but I do not have access to the twilight princess anymore. Could I just delete the channel and then install using bannerbomb, or just reinstall over it?

20. bedake
    OP

Newcomer bedake Member

United States
    Sorry for the double post but I have an update to the situation.

I just attempted to install the HBC through banner bomb with the hackmii installer and I have the same problem as when I initially updated it.

the wii loads the hackmii installer and I attempt to install the HBC, after it is done, the system attempts to reboot and just gets stuck at a black screen. I manually reboot the machine and the HBC is now on my menu again. If i attempt to launch the HBC, it just takes me to a black screen.

Is there any way I can install an earlier version of the HBC with bannerbomb? the hbc website only links to hackmii...