bedake

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My apologies for the noobish questions.

I have a semi bricked wii and I am not sure what version it is or what exactly caused the semi brick. I was wondering if anyone could tell me a way to determine what firmware is installed and whatever was installed over it that caused the semi brick. This happened a while back without my realization and I have since forgotten much about the issue. At one point I downloaded the semi brick rescue disc but I had no luck with that.

Thanks for the help.
EDIT:
Would I be able to use a new game that contains the 4.0 update to fix my wii?

bedake

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick responses.

FenrirWolf said:
Are you able to get into the Wii's recovery menu at all (via Savemiifree or if you had the Starfall hack installed)?

I don't think I have starfall installed, but how does one use it to access the recovery menu? and I havent been able to try savemiifree until I get my hands on a gamecube pad. That should be happening here soon.

QUOTE(darkdsguy @ May 20 2009, 03:41 AM) what exactly happen with your wii, what was the last thing you did on it?
No idea what caused it to be honest, this occurred a long time ago and I kinda got complacent using my wii just as a media center with geexbox haha

I'll try and use a gamecube remote here soon and try that out. Thanks for all the input.

Soplox

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
bedake said:
No idea what caused it to be honest, this occurred a long time ago and I kinda got complacent using my wii just as a media center with geexbox haha

You can enter to the Homebrew Channel?

bedake

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
darkdsguy said:
bedake said:

You can enter to the Homebrew Channel?

Yes, I can enter the homebrew channel fine but I can not enter the system settings menu.

bedake

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
darkdsguy said:
your wii is PAL or NTSC?

NTSCU, sorry for not mentioning that. The last version I knew for sure I used was 3.2u but Im not sure If i ever upgraded from that and what I installed that bricked it

Soplox

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well if you're semi-bricked, i assume you installed an update off an out-of-region disc. just get Punch-Out!! from your own region and run it and update using it and you're sweet. If it happened a long time ago, then you wont be on 4.0, so it'll make you update, which is what you want. HBC will still work fine and you can still install DVDx and BootMii on 4.0 if you use the HackMii installer. I'd recommend installing BootMii as boot2 if possible and taking a NAND dump in case of a future brick.

bedake

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for such a delayed response. I ran anyregion changer and reverted the wii back to 3.1u. This fixed the problem! Then a few days later the homebrew channel notified me I could update it. I did so, as well as installed or updated DVDX as it also gave the option to do so.

After the programs did their things, the system rebooted and now I cannot access the homebrew channel at all. Anyone have any idea what happened? Also, should I make a new thread since this is now off topic?

Thanks for all the help.

SifJar said:
well if you're semi-bricked, i assume you installed an update off an out-of-region disc. just get Punch-Out!! from your own region and run it and update using it and you're sweet. If it happened a long time ago, then you wont be on 4.0, so it'll make you update, which is what you want. HBC will still work fine and you can still install DVDx and BootMii on 4.0 if you use the HackMii installer. I'd recommend installing BootMii as boot2 if possible and taking a NAND dump in case of a future brick.

If I went and got punch out, would this solve this problem?

Just some more info on the situation not sure of what value it is.
I had gamma channel installed and i can still boot games with it.

I just tried to play my actual mario kart game disc and it wants to update my wii. can I allow it to do so?
EDIT AGAIN:
I just allowed the update and the game runs and my wii is still in the same position with no access to homebrew channel. Still just takes you to a black screen.

Kixy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Can you remember how you installed the Homebrew Channel in the first instance?

Use that same method (Twilight Hack, or BannerBomb) to run the HackMii 0.2 boot.elf

Uninstall the Homebrew Channel.

Then use the (Twilight Hack or Bannerbomb) again to install an older version of the Homebrew Channel, one which you know was working.

EDIT: Or, check this post out: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=158...p;#entry2019427

And out of interest, are your Wii Settings still ok after installing the Mario Kart update?

bedake

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kixy said:
Can you remember how you installed the Homebrew Channel in the first instance?

Use that same method (Twilight Hack, or BannerBomb) to run the HackMii 0.2 boot.elf

Uninstall the Homebrew Channel.

Then use the (Twilight Hack or Bannerbomb) again to install an older version of the Homebrew Channel, one which you know was working.

EDIT: Or, check this post out: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=158...p;#entry2019427

And out of interest, are your Wii Settings still ok after installing the Mario Kart update?

the settings are still working fine

Do I have to reinstall using the same method as before? I used the twilight hack but I do not have access to the twilight princess anymore. Could I just delete the channel and then install using bannerbomb, or just reinstall over it?

bedake

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the double post but I have an update to the situation.

I just attempted to install the HBC through banner bomb with the hackmii installer and I have the same problem as when I initially updated it.

the wii loads the hackmii installer and I attempt to install the HBC, after it is done, the system attempts to reboot and just gets stuck at a black screen. I manually reboot the machine and the HBC is now on my menu again. If i attempt to launch the HBC, it just takes me to a black screen.

Is there any way I can install an earlier version of the HBC with bannerbomb? the hbc website only links to hackmii...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean why is mcdonalds food overpriced
    Inflation and greed
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's just fries, make 'em at home
    +2
    I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol