Sekaiju no Meikyuu III - Work in progress

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Nivalis, Mar 31, 2010.

Mar 31, 2010
  1. Nivalis
    OP

Newcomer Nivalis Member

United States
    Been poking around with this new game, thus far i believe it to be pretty much the same format as previous games with the exception that all of the files are packed into a single file with one file to identify filenames and another file for .. well, i've no idea.
    Files in question are :
    Target.bin (fbin file containing pretty much the entire game)
    Target.idx (unknown)
    Target.ndx (all of the filenames for the data within Target.bin)

Now i know this is a very small step in terms of getting anywhere, however i felt i'd post it incase someone has come across something similar employed for other games, or felt like joining in to figure things out

Also it gives people who are sick of seeing threads about getting pokemon working, something different to read [​IMG]

2. Stealth Fox

Newcomer Stealth Fox Advanced Member

United States
    Yay...another project with no future... I cant wait.....

3. Nivalis
    OP

Newcomer Nivalis Member

United States
    If you don't have anything to share, don't post at all.

Anyway, it seems some backgrounds and ui elements are stored in raw data, but sprite data is in compressed CMP files like the previous two games, where the files individually packed it wouldn't be that big an issue to decompile them and extract/change, using ndsrledec, but all thrown in to one file makes that a little more difficult.

[​IMG]

As with previous games the text is contained within the mbb file segments, though this time all within Target.bin, i can change things around but it'd be a lot easier if i could figure out the filesystem.

4. ramestre

Newcomer ramestre Member

Brazil
    It will eventually be announced and released in english...

But thanks to your efforts in speeding up the proccess, if you release a patch I know I'll play it. [​IMG]

5. Nivalis
    OP

Newcomer Nivalis Member

United States
    Heres my findings so far.

Target.ndx
    Within target.nds theres segments of code in between readable text, by extracting the code and sitting it alongside the trailing text, it shows that the second to last byte declares the file/folder character length in hex, for exmaple :
    027100000400 Font
    749400000D00 InterfaceFile
    04 in decimal is 4, folder length in chars is 4
    0D in decimal is 13, folder length in chars is 13
    The rest of it i'm not yet sure about however it seems obvious to me that the sections that are 4 bytes longer than the rest, are stating which folder the following filesets go in to.

Again, if anyone has seen a similar file layout in other games, feel free to step up and speak out

6. Nivalis
    OP

Newcomer Nivalis Member

United States
    Okay thus far i've found that foldernames are followed by two bytes which dictate which folder the said file belongs to, with two bytes before the foldername dictating the folder structure, when new trees are added the folder content is defined by how many files are present, as such.
    uint16_tunk0; uint16_tname_length; charname[name_length]; uint32_tunk1;
    We're working on something to make a logical order of things based on the ndx file, then we'll move on to the idx which should hopefully define which parts of the bin file are what, or rather the contents of the 28 FBIN files contained in a single stream within the Target.bin

As things stand, things seem fairly hardcoded, so unless the filesystem remains intact (not adding, or removing files, or extending or shortening any files , not even by a single byte), the game most likely will not function properly or at all, which makes a translation patch a hell of a lot harder, unless of course the idx file is figured out enough to rebuild it and point to our custom offsets.

However we're going to continue and attempt to extract the filesystem.

7. xtreme1

Member xtreme1 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    +1

8. Nivalis
    OP

Newcomer Nivalis Member

United States
    Okay so we're making headway on the idx file, we should have the filesystem extracted by the end of the day.
    and to the people saying 'project with no future', fk off and go elsewhere, this is 'rom hacking and translations', not 'TRANSLATIONS ONLY', the whole point of this thread is to reverse the filesystem used for Sekaiju no Meikyuu III, and we're on the verge of doing so.

9. Nivalis
    OP

Newcomer Nivalis Member

United States
    Okay, we have extracted everything [​IMG]
    need some proof?
    [​IMG]

10. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    not really...

what up with the pic?

11. Nivalis
    OP

Newcomer Nivalis Member

United States
    That would be,
    \Data\Tex\Monster\eb001_0.cmp, or in other words, the first monster sprite in the monster sprites directory..

Well, to be exact, eb001_0.cmp is 128x128, the top portion of the sprite, and eb001_1.cmp is a 32x128 segment from the bottom of the sprite, combined makes the above image.
    incidentally, eb001_0.ntfp is the palette for the monster.

12. Maverynthia

Newcomer Maverynthia Member

United States
    I don't know why people are so negative, yes this game will probably get an English release, however ATLUS hardly remains true to the content. They change the names of Jobs, people, places and monsters. I have a feeling this translation when completed will be superior to Atlus.

13. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I hope people will support it's release. It probably WILL be released here officially, which is kind of a miracle in and of itself that this series has seen release here at all. You might complain about Atlus, but you have to give them props for bringing us obscure things like this, and Sting's games like Knights in the Nightmare.

14. Nivalis
    OP

Newcomer Nivalis Member

United States
    So, got much of the games menus and skills translated, will be hacking up a better suited font in the coming days as the standard 10x10 and 12x12 shift-jis fonts are terrible when used for english, incidentally menu data is stored within the lz compressed overlay_0003.bin, and the game can be used with the unpacked target.bin if you unpack arm9.bin and fiddle with the structure.
    I was going to release the tools we made for unpacking the target file but i'm going to hold off on that, mainly due to the retarded 'isn't going to go anywhere' comments from people who have no idea in this thread, until i release it you'll just have to unpack it yourselves, besides given that unpacking serves no real purpose but to make it easier to see the files (and know where the cmp's start and end), unless you mess with the arm9 and have it load the data from the old structure type instead of the target nonsense, it doesn't help all that much.

That said the idx still contains all the pointers needed, and all that does is take the request from the game and tell it where the requested file is.
    Is someone wants to call bs on this, by the way, lets say "bs you don't have it unpacked', or 'bs you dont have any tools to even post', i'm more than happy to provide ample proof.

To anyone actually interested in helping translate, and of course assuming you also know what you're doing (decent knowledge of asm, or past experience redirecting pointers or changing fonts), feel free to pm me and we'll work something out.

15. sein kurusawa

Newcomer sein kurusawa Newbie

Guatemala
    God bless my friends, go ahead. [​IMG]

16. gukid

Newcomer gukid Advanced Member

Canada
    Agreed. Just look at the Tales of Hearts translation. Definitely better than Namco. "Fans" will always do better work.

Good luck with the project!