Sega Saturn mod chip randomly just stopped working...

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hello all,

My modded Sega Saturn has been sitting in the cupboard for a few years -- I recently pulled it out to give it a spin, but I found that the mod chip refused to boot copies (it has always worked in the past) -- curiouser and curiouser, hmmm --

I am not panicking too much, as I do have a spare modded Saturn -- I am just wondering if anoyone knows how it could be fixed? Or would it be beyond recovery... I think it is kinda odd that it just stopped working -- with no outside interference...

I cracked the console open and all wires were intact... no visible signs of soldering failures...

unsure.gif

Schizoanalysis

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No real need -- I have a spare modded Saturn (and swapping busts the CD drive) -- I'm just curious as to why the mod chip would suddenly stop --

Schizoanalysis

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yep, it boots origs. I took out the mod chip and the saturn is fully functional... funny... it is just the chip that seems to be the problem...

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the same thing happen. The reason is those mod chips (I know which one you have) are prone to going bad.

Just buy a new one and you'll be fine. They're cheap!

Schizoanalysis

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey there!

His site looks cool, thanks for the heads up --

His version of the mod chips looks like the really old one --

v2.jpg

I've fitted about 3 different types of SS mod chips in my time... and that looks like the first one I fitted... Mind you, the one that busted on me was the version that sticks directly in the ribbon cable slot... so maybe the earlier mod chip version with the 2 ribbon cable slots is the better version...

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Schizoanalysis said:
Hey there!

His site looks cool, thanks for the heads up --

His version of the mod chips looks like the really old one --

v2.jpg

I've fitted about 3 different types of SS mod chips in my time... and that looks like the first one I fitted... Mind you, the one that busted on me was the version that sticks directly in the ribbon cable slot... so maybe the earlier mod chip version with the 2 ribbon cable slots is the better version...

My Japanese Saturn is fitted with one of these and I've never had a problem with it. It's an updated version of the old chip. It works with a few more drives but is still based off the old design as it was so reliable.

Schizoanalysis

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dr Eggman said:
(i'm trying to mod a model 1, see my WTB thread)

Can you just buy a cheap round button Saturn instead?
It might not be so expensive long run -- if you do manage to find an old Model 1 mod chip -- it might cost you more than 10-13GBP... All other SS mod chips I have seen for sale (but it has been a while since I have seen one) have been around US$60-70.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one