Sega megadrive region converter options

Cart00nHead

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pal megadrive with a US to Jap switch its in perminant 60hz, what I want to know is for example I want to play street fighter special champion edition that is a pal cartridge that happens to have region lock since its a post 1990 something release, what are my options, I have read that I could use a game genie and use codes for different games, also there is a converter named mega key, there are other universal converters but as far as I know they are just simply a pass through adapter type of solution.

Reactions: Alexander1970

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
there's also https://www.consolesunleashed.com/sega-mega-drive-switchless-region-mod-install-service/
there is the form of the cartridge, might need to make an extension to get some cartgidges in, this should also get fixed by using a cheat engine or converter.
there are actual 3 regions, so the switch should at least have 3 stands.
these switched mods or switchless mod only change the clock speed to match expected speed of cartridge.
there are soft region locks, these need a cheat engine to get fixed or a region converter (witch is the same thing only pre programmed to load matching cheat to cartridge).

Last edited by JaapDaniels,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Cart00nHead

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The switch only seems to have an effect when in US or Jap, for example left USA right Jap and centre has no effect tho the language is english appears like its still in US.

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
The switch only seems to have an effect when in US or Jap, for example left USA right Jap and centre has no effect tho the language is english appears like its still in US.
i understand the switch only alters the frequency... language is in the cartridge, programmed, if the game is japanese the cartridge will remain so unless you'll reflash it with another rom...
for supernintendo there's also a superCIC solution, but for sega genesis/megadrive this never came since it's only a few extra games that needed a patch after frequency is modded.
region seems to only mean
for the region cheats i can only find the gamegenie codes (see),
but those should be inner changable to pro action replay by calculating the hex code (game genie is like encrypted).
you can convert those cheats using: this

Cart00nHead

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No that's not the case the frequency is always 60hz and the switch alters the language, the games language changes depending on the board in the console.

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
From what I can see, with the model 2 at least, the switchless mod seems to work all right with the game (bear in mind that I had to use a flashcart since I lack the genesis version of the game).
20191208_173746.jpg
As you can see I've chosen the PAL version of the game
20191208_173649.jpg
The orange LED means NTSC-U, and it leads to an orange screen
20191208_173702.jpg

The same thing happens with the red (NTSC-J) LED
20191208_173615.jpg

As you can see, PAL mode works fine.

You can do the switchless mod yourself as well (granted some soldering skills are needed) which is probably a lot cheaper.

Last edited by nasune,

Cart00nHead

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nasune mine is a model 1, I'll be getting a flash cart for it at some point so I'm sure I won't have any problems with that, What I'm hoping is someone sees this who has a converter and could confirm one that is not just a pass through for the different shape cart slots

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
From what I can see, there are switchless options for the model 1 as well (here's a guide on mmmonkey or one on wolfsoft (although that one is just a single picture) and I'm sure there's many more) but you'd have to look at that a little more.
Another option is to add another switch for PAL/NTSC which seems very doable, but again my advice would be to look at a few more guides to see if everything works (All the things I've tried from those sites work without issue, but, since I've never tried anything on my model 1, I can't vouch for these particular mods).
As for the passthrough devices themselves, I wouldn't have a clue unfortunately.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me...