OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*pulls out katana*
*teleports behind you*
pshh.... nothing personnel.... kid...
Why do people do the *action* thing in non-RP forums? Not bashing you or anything, I genuinely don't understand.

It's essentially a Steam Machine with Sega's name on it. Nothing to write home about.
Action thing???

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I took a look at their Facebook group and this is what I got:
1450878242273.jpg

1450878288817.jpg
I'm pretty sure they don't have support from Sega ass of now.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to be watching this project very closely, very intriguing, don't want to invest towards it though due to the risk (what if it never materializes?) But if it does in fact get released, I'd be willing to buy one :). I miss the days when Sega made hardware (yes I know this is actually a 3rd party, trying to obtain licensing from Sega but still, if they're successful with this, maybe Sega will jump back in to hardware and learn from their mistakes of the past with market and what not....

bannana2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of that will be available until 8 more days. I don't understand why everyone hates this :(
Sega's only big mistake was bad marketing. This is actually good marketing and it means they could make hardware again. Simply incredible!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So... It's a mid- to lower high-end gaming PC. With SEGA's name and a Dreamcast 2 sticker slapped on it. How is this actually a console again? Because it really isn't, it's a PC.
So are all consoles buddy. Seriously, when a game is released it isn't just released on one console. Most of the time a PC can emulate anything but the latest consoles. And that is no stretch of the imagination. Everyone has something unique to bring to the table, but you have to really dig to find it unless they are obvious about it.

Last edited by bannana2,

ric.

Drivin' to meme country
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Sega's only big mistake was bad marketing. This is actually good marketing and it means they could make hardware again. Simply incredible!
No, it was infighting, bad business decisions, bad hardware decisions, and Sega of Japan sabotaging Sega of America's efforts, among countless other things. Sega's demise wasn't because of a single mistake or bad luck, it was because they had been systematically destroying themselves from the inside since the Genesis days.
Even after going third party they still kept shooting themselves in the foot constantly until recently. Even though it seems they're getting their act together lately, I still wouldn't trust them with a console at this point in time.

bannana2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it was infighting, bad business decisions, bad hardware decisions, and Sega of Japan sabotaging Sega of America's efforts, among countless other things. Sega's demise wasn't because of a single mistake or bad luck, it was because they had been systematically destroying themselves from the inside since the Genesis days.
Even after going third party they still kept shooting themselves in the foot constantly until recently. Even though it seems they're getting their act together lately, I still wouldn't trust them with a console at this point in time.
Well, there is always infighting amongst companies of this size. There final mistake was releasing the Dreamcast too soon. Their was fighting for patents between Sony and Nintendo since I don't when, but the point remains. Hell, even Nintendo sold their hardware at a loss until recently.

Deleted member 370671

Ball of Kawaiiness
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
Sega did a Kickstart for Shenmue 3 earlier this year that went quite well.
Well, I didn't say that wouldn't work (because it probably would), but Sega is a huge company, with a capital that probably exceeds hundreds of million dollars and a lot of investors. Wouldn't it be better for them to directly ask private investors to finance their project?
I mean, in my opinion, Kickstarter / any crowdfunding platform is great for not known people or tiny companies, because not any investor will come to them and say "well, take this money, it's for your project, it looks awesome", since they are not known, and so investors don't "trust" them. But for a company like Sega, can't that be seen as something like a desperate last move because the company is dying? Do you really imagine Microsoft crowdfunding the next major version of Windows, or Apple crowdfunding the iPhone 7? See my point?

EDIT: And, by the way, it seems that Shenmue is actually a game developped by Ys Net and published by Sony.

Last edited by Deleted member 370671,

ric.

Drivin' to meme country
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Well, there is always infighting amongst companies of this size. There final mistake was releasing the Dreamcast too soon. Their was fighting for patents between Sony and Nintendo since I don't when, but the point remains. Hell, even Nintendo sold their hardware at a loss until recently.
Yes, infighting is always a thing in transnational companies, but not like in Sega. It was as if effectively two different companies were fighting against each other, and the only one that was competently managed (SoA) was grabbed by the balls by the larger, clunkier, more inefficient one (SoJ), effectively neutering them and preventing them from doing anything productive at all.
At that point pretty much every Sega division was working on it's own console, SoJ kept fucking over SoA for the simple fact that they were better run at the time, developers were burned out due to the shitty Saturn infrastructure, terrible devkits, and short lifecycle, and weren't willing to invest in developing major titles for the DC, it came out too early, bad advertising, pissing off Walmart and other major retailers by signing exclusivity contracts with smaller retailers, using GDs instead of DVDs, piracy, and no real "killer app", etcetera.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It could maybe work if they keep the best parts of a console...
-standard, locked down hardware specs with a 5-6 year lifespan (most important)
-console exclusives
-standardized controller
-sega "eshop"
-sega nostalgia (can't rule out them feels! ^^)
-maybe other things that sega can bring as a platform holder

and PC.
-better hardware per $
-can play PC games too
-homebrew, emulators, Linux, Windows!! ;p
That would make it an XBOX. Direct X-Box in case you did not know. So, No windows.

Last edited by Hielkenator,

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why do so many companies make the mistake of using that horrid thumbstick layout?
It's so terrible. It puts way too much emphasis on using the dpad over the left stick, where it should just be left for 4 button maps instead.

henn64

I don't know what I'm doing with my life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why do so many companies make the mistake of using that horrid thumbstick layout?
It's so terrible. It puts way too much emphasis on using the dpad over the left stick, where it should just be left for 4 button maps instead.
You mean in the OP? That was a mock-up from a hoax months ago I think.
We still don't know what the "real" thing looks like.

Last edited by henn64,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: My epeen is very important to me lol