Secure wireless

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by BenRK, Oct 3, 2011.

Oct 3, 2011

Secure wireless by BenRK at 5:21 AM (1,353 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. BenRK
    OP

Member BenRK GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'm trying to get my DS to run on my network. Problem is, I don't want to lower my security to WEP. Back when I lived out in the middle of nowhere, who cared? But I live in an apartment complex, and I don't want to leave my network open for all my neighbors up stairs, down stairs, across the hall, etc. So, how am I supposed to get my DS working with my router?

The only solution I can think of is grab a Nintendo Wi Fi adapter for cheap and use that. Problem is, I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64bit. I COULD run a Windows XP Pro 32bit virtual machine and have that running while I want to use my DS, but I really would rather find some way to do this without having to have my computer running, you know? Gotta save on power.

So what have you guys figured out? Or are all of you running on open networks?

2. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    WEP security here, guy.

3. BenRK
    OP

United States
    Ok, how do you deal with security if you use just WEP?

4. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    Oh, I use a complicated password comprised of 26 characters that include both letters and numbers. The letters are of varying case. The whole password was created by typing as much gibberish as I could. Random stuff such as jdoifudsfoia3984804830jfidsoaIUOIUODS32904823JDFkjfdsjeor3224sdfSDFAFds or something. That's much longer than the password I use, and it's not close to what I even use. That's just an example.

Neither I nor Chell could memorize the password, so we have it written down in a locked journal. I keep the key with me at all times, on my keyring. It's a very efficient system.

5. mocalacace

Member mocalacace GBAtemp Fan

United States
    That seems like too much of a hassle when connecting another device, and if someone had a day they could easily use backtrack to get your password. And I though wpa was supported by the ds now.

6. jamesaa

Member jamesaa The Prince of Insufficient Light

United Kingdom
    I used to have a USB dongle that I used only for my DS, it had the typical security (gibberish WEP/MAC filtering) and I only had it plugged in when using my DS online, and I kept a window open on my laptop which showed connected clients so I knew if anyone tried anything (after all it should only ever have my DS connected)

Don't go online with my DS anymore so haven't used that setup for a while.

7. BenRK
    OP

United States
    That's probably the route I'm going to have to go. I hate to say it...

8. unz

Member unz Chaotic Neutral

Australia
    My adsl modem/wifi router allows me to enable multiple SSIDs - which means I can have multiple networks running from one router; up to 4 if I want, but 2 is enough for my needs.

I've set up one network (WPA2 AES) for all the PCs in my house, and another, completely separate network (WEP) for my DS Lite and 3DS.

I also have a MAC whitelist set up in the router for the WEP network, as well as a 26 character password. If anyone takes the time to crack through all that, I figure they've pretty much earned their internet access.

If the lucky cracker gets too greedy, I can easily disable the WEP network by logging into my router and unticking a checkbox.
    Also, the WEP network has no access rights to the router config, so the best an intruder will get is free internet.

9. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    WEP and checking DHCP clients every so often (since I need to reset my router remotely daily anyways).

Yeah, if I lived in a city I'd just go without DS wireless or set up a MAC filter and then nix it if I noticed anybody on.

Password complexity for WEP doesn't matter, it's broken.

10. unz

Member unz Chaotic Neutral

Australia
    Ok, now I'm going off topic, sorry...

Personally, I find DHCP to be a pain - for some reason, one device always ends up clashing with something else, or port forwarding gets screwed up or... well, you get the point.

To save my sanity, I manually assign IPs on my networked devices, but leave DHCP enabled for visitors, just to save time...

11. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The only times I see DHCP causing issues are when clients are requesting low IPs within the DHCP pool.

If you're going to assign static IPs, make sure your router knows not to give those out (or use higher IPs in the pool that wouldn't be given under normal circumstances).

12. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    I +1 this part of your post.

13. zach12_2

Newcomer zach12_2 Member

United States
    Mac filters are almost useless. Sadly, any script kiddy with the proper software can sniff out your mac id. They spoof it on their system and they're in. Wep... we'll wep is just deniable culpability now.

"No, I didn't know people had access to my wifi! How could I have known they'd download all that music on my wireless? I had the network secure!"

Here's a good read:
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/ou/the-six-dumbest-ways-to-secure-a-wireless-lan/43

14. Ra1d

Member Ra1d GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    What kind of internet do you have ?I have a wired internet so i just bought my wireless for DS and Laptop,so whenever i use one of them i turn on the wireless,and when i don't i don't even turn on the wireless.