Homebrew Secret of Mana Text Problem

CorvoSol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey! I'm trying to run Secret of Mana in SNEmulDS, and most places say it runs fairly well. The game boots, but the problem I'm having is that, when played in an emulator on my PC, the text is fine, but when played in SNEmulDS, the text comes out as random gibberish. I've tried downloading multiple versions of the ROM, and the same thing happens each time.

Does anybody know how I can fix this?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm, I vaguely remember this game being a particular challenge for SNES emulators due to that text issue. Something to do with the resolution of the text layer. Unfortunately I can't remember what the fix was, if there was one to begin with.

See if this helps at all: http://www.pocketheaven.com/ph/boards/viewtopic.php?t=6018

CorvoSol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, after tinkering around, I've found out that the actual in-game text works, like all the story related stuff, but that the menus are still some kind of Lovecraftian horror.
In a similar vein, is there any SNES emulator for GBA, DS, or PSP that is capable of running Secret of Mana 2? SNemulDS doesn't seem to like it at all.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're probably referring to the high resolution mode 7 effects the game uses (menu/status screen and so on) and SNEmulDS being the super-outdated emulator it is, you're better off using something like Snes9x 1.53.

Sir VG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The major emulators I've seen for the DS have been dead for years, unfortunately. SNEmulDS and SnezziDS have last update of 2008, SNESDS had a low compatibility and also was last updated in 2008, and I see no ports of ZSNES or SNES9x to the DS. The only emulator I see updated in the last 3 years is one specifically for the DSTwo, called DSTwo NDSSFC.

If you have that cart, try it.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's also CATSFC, which I believe they're working on, but I'm not sure about NDSSFC, Snes9x? I doubt they could port that over, unless they made a crapload of optimizing, and taking advantage of the extra CPU power on the DSTWO, it could be done in theory. Snes9x is the most ported Snes emulator, so why not?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My understanding that the Supercard-provided SNES emulator is already a port of snes9X that uses the DS:TWO's extra processing power. CATSFC is an upgraded version of that emulator to try to increase compatibility. Neither will help you for any non-DS:TWO device.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. Shame that my attempts at speedhacking Star Fox seemed to do absolutely nothing for PSP users. Probably required someone who actually understands the assembly code for the SNES's CPU >_>

ScarletCrystals

Useless Bunny of Paradise
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Unfortunately, text doesn't display properly in CATSFC. Something to do with the font that the translation used. I heard somewhere that the japanses one works though *unsure*

edit: Nevermind, wrong game. Although secret of mana 2 also doesn't work on NDS emulators.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay