FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I do like a good engineering video. Before I could watch an hour long video of a master machinist making a tuna can press on demand we had educational TV.

If there is one name that rang out above all others for UK engineering TV shows it would have been Fred Dibnah, however if there was two then Tim Hunkin was it. His "secret life of machines" series then rattling around in the brains of many and also getting many to ponder how things work.

Most of the rest of the series is available online there as well if you want it.

He has a youtube channel these days and his new series is "the secret life of components" and the lack of attention it is getting is almost criminal. This is my attempt to help with that problem.

You can get to his channel to watch the rest if you like https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGrpLw1W3P1_BC4J-Hpytww
Chain, LEDs, connectors, glue, hinges, springs, bearings, switches all being featured.

Many around here style themselves as some flavour of builder, maker, hacker, fixer of things or generally otherwise mechanically or electrically inclined. If so go have a watch. I can safely say with no ego that I am pretty hot when it comes to making things but I am learning things every episode of this so far and it is presented clearly and such that you just need to want to learn, and done with an eye to practicality rather than the more arcane stuff you get from most engineering sources.

Reactions: Alexander1970

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Series 2 is starting to come out now. Starting with Pneumatics (compressed air for the most part), one of the few things to really scare me when it comes to building stuff (the other being its cousin in hydraulics).

There is also much more to series 1 than what is above. The section on screws being one of the best things on the matter I have ever seen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: see ya