Sealed copy of Super Mario Bros. sells for $2 mil, breaks last month's record of most expensive game

1.jpg

In the far-flung past of July 2021, a sealed edition of Super Mario 64--perfectly immaculate and professionally graded--sold for a whopping $1.56 million dollars. That auction set a new record for the most expensive video game ever sold, until it promptly lost that title less than a month later. There's a new record-holder in town, and it's the original Super Mario Bros. The news comes from The New York Times, who reported on the sale of the game, discovering that it was sold not at auction, but on a website called Rally.

Described as "alternative investment", Rally lets its users invest in collectable items, rather than stocks or crypto. The investors buy "shares" of a given physical item, and then are able to vote amongst themselves on whether or not to sell it to prospective buyers. Rally acquired the sealed copy of Super Mario Bros. for $140,000 just last year, and the "shareholders" in the game rejected a buy offer for $300,000. However, when presented a bid for $2 million dollars, the collective majority--about 75%--voted in favor of selling the game to the anonymous buyer.

Graded at A+ level from grading service Wata, much like last month's pricey copy of Super Mario 64, this is the highest-graded version of the game ever. It's a dramatic increase in value compared to how much it was bought for less than a year ago, but regardless, this sale now marks the most expensive transaction of a video game ever.

:arrow: Source

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Anybody wondered if that copy might be a well crafted imitation of NES cartridge? If there are people that would pay millions for that item then why not

Edit : There are manufacturers that make retro cartridges. I'm sure they can make a 100% replica of "original sealed" copy if they want:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32824331071.html

Last edited by depaul,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Leonardo Da Vinci did not produced 40 million copies of Monalisa and sold it for kids worldwide.

Edit: Also this version of Super Mario Bros is a localized one, it was changed a lot it terms of box artwork from the vision of its original creators. So keeping on Da Vinci exampe, it is the same of charging millions for a Monalisa copy that features an American girl instead of la Gioconda.
Maybe not but you can happily buy as many prints that you will need a microscope to tell the difference for as you will like. Does that mean the original is worthless?

I haven't heard of Rally, and that sounds pretty cool, and I guess the people who joined in to buy the game for that $140,000 made a healthy profit.
Of course, the idea of games being sold for this much is crazy, I'm just interested in the idea of Rally itself.
See "real estate investment trusts" as that is probably one of the closer things in commonly seen circles. Same idea as people that might not necessarily want to put in full whack (if houses cost hundreds of thousands but most make/have available to invest a tenth of that a year...), or spread their risk (owning 1 house, might burn down or have tenants stop paying rent, owning the same value in 20 houses across several cities, not all going to burn down and even if the town factory closes in one place the others are probably still going to be doing something).

Smart choice. This will be highly desirable collectors item in museums in the future worth tons of money. People now preserving art is a huge step up compared to the past. Imagine if we preserved works of art in this way from leonardo or da vinci? They would be even worth more now and preserve history alot better.
Will museums care about quality to this degree? If I am at a games exhibit then sure have a box and cart/disc in a display case with a controller coming out of a wall to maybe play it (or certain segments of it). If I am going to need a science lab to tell the quality from a run of the mill good one then I am not sure of the need, and frankly battered as found in an attic would be just fine for most I imagine, wall of screens and print outs/mock ups/recreations probably going to be even better if they don't have to waste space and can fit more games in to look at.

Equally "preserving now" is a fun one. The comics bubble a few decades back now is a good example of this where it was found everybody and their donkey was sleeving and whatnot their comics so what might have been scarce actually was rather less.
Also better methods get made in the future; will have to look up the full details but general idea. Scandinavia, maybe not quite viking days but nearer than not, big battle on a bog, losers leave the bodies to sink, gets rediscovered in the mid 20th century and everybody is happy the ham fisted Victorians did not find it and do what they did to Egypt during that digging up ancient Egypt phase they went through, today though far fancier tools are available and doubtless in 30 years there will be fancier stuff still.

On preserving art then there is some debate as to the permanence of things in art but I will leave that one. That said I do find it amusing that a lot of people think restored art looks bad as they are so used to dirty and faded artwork, that or ancient greek statues were seldom nice white marble but actually painted (you can still find trace of it in the crevices) so the image most have of nice white marble is very wrong and instead should be quite gaudy.
On art restoration though then I will say this following channel is utterly captivating and I generally don't care about art.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvZe6ZCbF9xgbbbdkiodPKQ
random example

Seems weird to spend 2 million on this he could have put that money into some shares and watch it multiply.
What if this multiplies faster? If you bought in an index fund for the S&P500 (main US shares market) in April 2020 when this cart was last sold (just missed out on some good stuff so let's assume you went for the low in March of 2721.57) it would be 4429.10 today. A nice bump actually, even if inflation probably ate a chunk of it and the tax man likely some more when you sell it, though rather unprecedented historically (average stock market growth is generally assumed to be about 7% per year https://tokenist.com/investing/average-stock-market-return/ ).
https://www.macrotrends.net/2324/sp-500-historical-chart-data for the data if you want to play with other years and other markets, do bear in mind the numbers there are not necessarily inflation adjusted.
We could look at highest performing shares (all eggs in one basket, might have to ignore the gamestop bit) or maybe do futures contracts (bit risky but OK) to do a few times that.
$140000 in April 2020 to 2 million today is just over 14 times growth which is far better still. Now I doubt the growth will carry on like that, and risk and ability to sell makes it not my first choice but at the same time hard to argue with the numbers like that.

Reactions: Ryccardo

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
The idea of having one thing that isn't common be expensive is stupid, i can literally make a Wooden toy, it'll be the only one on earth, yet i can't sell it for mils, sad.

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If this is the cart I think it is, this is from a test wave (2nd test wave iirc) of release to see if the American market would be open to the NES after the video game crash of '83

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
buy a house, a 10k gaming PC, and emulate the game :creep:

I could live comfortably for the rest of my life, without ever having to work again, with $2M (which is something like what I'd make in 100 years of honest work in my current career). And I could probably live off of it for 30+ years with 0 interest on that money, considering inflation.

But we can't dictate how people use their money, so I hope the buyer will at least enjoy it rofl.

Last edited by AlexMCS,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Kinda interesting to me that the version without Duck Hunt is more valuable, but I guess it is older. For that matter, this has me wondering what a sealed 10/10 copy of Super Mario All-Stars might go for.

Last edited by Xzi,

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@FAST6191
For me personally i'm holding on to my sealed pokemon nintendo switch and my animal crossing switch because 10 years from now they should be double or triple the price. But spending 2 million on a sealed copy of super mario bros seems questonable but ehh idk people but Jeff Bezos did fly into space and spent alot of cash. A person is entilted to spend their money on what they want.

Stocks seem more safer but idk by stocks keep on going up and down.

@AlexMCS
I see you don't live in USA so you can live really good for 2 million. In america not really you still have to work your house will be paid off but your expenses and etc..etc..

you need maybe 10 million cash to never work again and then you have to put 2 of that million in investments or property.

Last edited by Goku1992A,

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@FAST6191
For me personally i'm holding on to my sealed pokemon nintendo switch and my animal crossing switch because 10 years from now they should be double or triple the price. But spending 2 million on a sealed copy of super mario bros seems questonable but ehh idk people but Jeff Bezos did fly into space and spent alot of cash. A person is entilted to spend their money on what they want.

Stocks seem more safer but idk by stocks keep on going up and down.

@AlexMCS
I see you don't live in USA so you can live really good for 2 million. In america not really you still have to work your house will be paid off but your expenses and etc..etc..

you need maybe 10 million cash to never work again and then you have to put 2 of that million in investments or property.

Yeah, I realize the living costs there are much higher (specially if you have to get to a hospital with no insurance... RIP finances), but still, it's a great boost.

Reactions: Goku1992A

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The next bubble is coming, and it's not just among house buyers in the US... it's a worldwide bubble of everything, including games.

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I wonder how these will stack up with pricing and inflation. Like, was a video game sold for 1.3 million back in 2000? Because that is technically a higher price when accounting for inflation. Same with the "sold more consoles than", of course they did, market capitalization is increasing as a market matures, and so is population. It's why these "Highest ever" things are bothersome. Of course things are always going to be sold higher and higher, it's the natural rate of economics. It's like saying "Gas was only 5 cents in 1900, and it's 3 dollars now. Why are things so much more expensive?", and ignoring everything else.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder how these will stack up with pricing and inflation. Like, was a video game sold for 1.3 million back in 2000? Because that is technically a higher price when accounting for inflation. Same with the "sold more consoles than", of course they did, market capitalization is increasing as a market matures, and so is population. It's why these "Highest ever" things are bothersome. Of course things are always going to be sold higher and higher, it's the natural rate of economics. It's like saying "Gas was only 5 cents in 1900, and it's 3 dollars now. Why are things so much more expensive?", and ignoring everything else.

it is a rare item that is why it costs so much. Some men was spending a million dollars just to take a womans virginity. People pay for things that isn't easy to get.

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
it is a rare item that is why it costs so much. Some men was spending a million dollars just to take a womans virginity. People pay for things that isn't easy to get.
Why yes. It's rare, but that doesn't mean there weren't rare things in 2000. In 2040, are we going to see games from now being sold for 5 million, or an equivalent amount of GDP or other metric? Does that mean it's suddenly "the record"? I argue it wouldn't.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If this is the cart I think it is, this is from a test wave (2nd test wave iirc) of release to see if the American market would be open to the NES after the video game crash of '83
if it really is, then it would be more legit to see it sold at such price

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Why yes. It's rare, but that doesn't mean there weren't rare things in 2000. In 2040, are we going to see games from now being sold for 5 million, or an equivalent amount of GDP or other metric? Does that mean it's suddenly "the record"? I argue it wouldn't.
Classics... it's only because it's one of the biggest classic ever

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't seen this much senseless spending since Montgomery Brewster in '85. After he was released by the Chicago Cubs, he spent 30 million in a month on toys, pinball machines & video games.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I haven't seen this much senseless spending since Montgomery Brewster in '85. After he was released by the Chicago Cubs, he spent 30 million in a month on toys, pinball machines & video games.
and today, these 30 millions of toys, pinball machines and video games are probably worth 600millions
Peoples who do this are called collector, they buy what they think will be classics and that will worth a lot more in decades

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCYyXcb_pJk Lol spiderman dong