Legend
OP
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
If 3DS carts do finally come out, do you think SDHC cards will still be used? Wouldn't it be more logical to use SDXC cards that support upto 2TB in true fashion rather than the theoretical 2TB for SDHC cards.
And also, one of the main reasons for carts by legal game owners is that they want to carry all their games together on the same cart and this would allow one to do so too.
Your views please

PS - If you dont like this thread, you can give me the finger and skip to another thread (the thumb that is)

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
It's already been discussed, and no it won't be, nor will it be logical to do so. If 32GB isn't enough for you to use on a HANDHELD system, there is seriously something wrong with you.

Besides the only reason for this would be for the possibility of piracy...why would Nintendo support that?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Digital installs of games onto the SD/SDHC/SDXC card would be something Nintendo should look into, however it would open up a path to hackers...

Anyway, back to what you were asking it may make more logical sense to include the use of SDXC cards, but they aren't affordable to the general public. (Done a little price check, $400 for 64gb?) Then you've got the MicroSDXC's which I can't find anything about them in stores... So... so we'll just have to wait and see..

shakirmoledina

Legend
OP
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
can u direct me to the thread please, i didnt find it
nah i mean there are many ppl (rayder for example) who has a 16gb sdhc card that he uses to store the millions of games (or possibly all the games released) on his ds. 64mb avg game size on 16gb meaning a total of 256 games on a single card.
Now consider the 3ds with an average of say 1gb game size which would mean tht one can store 32 games out of all the cool games that are gonna come out...

what was the intial price of the SDHC card when it first came out? i think it was very expensive but as u can see now they are around $50 to $60 on amazon. SDXC 64gb go for $125 sandisk...
ofcourse i aint saying tht one should not buy SDHC cards, but if one wants more games on his cart, he can get an SDXC card instead and plus carts may come out 6 months later or so (rough estimation) so probably by tht time SDXC price may go down to around $60-70

Here is the toshiba initial 16gb and 32gb price
PS - According to your response, u should have given me the finger...

ChrisRX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You can instantly recognise a noob to the scene as they're so used to having loads of games on one cart at once. Spend years copying a single rom to a flashcart via a parallel port, or loading games off stacks of floppy disks. This is how we did it for years, having more than one game per cart is just a luxury, not the standard.

jonesman99

GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This question has already been answered. I was actually one of the first people to ask that question.

The simple answer is no, for a couple of reasons:

1) The overall cost to input SDXC capable card readers into the 3DS would greatly increase, meaning that they might have been taking a loss with each unit sold.

2) SDXC is fairly new to the consumer scene, and the cost of one of THOSE would be expensive as well.

3) People are still able to get alot of games on a 32gb SDHC card, so people would hold off on buying an SDXC card for now, especially seeing as there aren't many games that are available to even use up a 32gb SDHC yet.

Maybe in a later revision it will be SDXC capable, but for now, we can be safe and sure with the SDHCs.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
shakirmoledina said:
can u direct me to the thread please, i didnt find it
nah i mean there are many ppl (rayder for example) who has a 16gb sdhc card that he uses to store the millions of games (or possibly all the games released) on his ds. 64mb avg game size on 16gb meaning a total of 256 games on a single card.
Now consider the 3ds with an average of say 1gb game size which would mean tht one can store 32 games out of all the cool games that are gonna come out...

PS - According to your response, u should have given me the finger...

Again, we'll just have to wait and see... If 1GB is the average, then 32GB should suffice.... If not? Then find a way to hook up an external HDD? ;D

cambridge_red

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why would one want to play more than 4 or 5 games at once? It's a handheld.. once your done with one game delete it and load on a new one.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
cambridge_red said:
Why would one want to play more than 4 or 5 games at once? It's a handheld.. once your done with one game delete it and load on a new one.

I was a little weird and had to have 15+ games... Simply because I can't stay with one for too long.... Except JUS, but only when I have people to play against..

Fireballo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can tell you right now that 32gb is not enough room on a handheld when you have games at 2gb or more. I have a psp and I wish I have more than 32gb of space.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Fireballo said:
I can tell you right now that 32gb is not enough room on a handheld when you have games at 2gb or more. I have a psp and I wish I have more than 32gb of space.

I have 8GB on my PSP and it's doing just fine... Then again... I don't find many of the PSP games worth my time... That's just my opinion though. O.o

32GB should be more than enough... Seeing as how, unless you play 24/7, 6/7 games should last through the week if not longer..

shakirmoledina

Legend
OP
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
i agree with jones and hani whereby the price atm is quite high but consider the future

if we compare the prices of the minimum overflow of the SDHC to the max SD card price AND the same for the SDHC and SDXC
ie. 2gb SD and 4gb SDHC AND 32gb SDHC and 64gb SDXC (although this is not a good comparison since we have more than 4gb SDHC cards while SDXC has not reached that level yet hence the expensive price)

am using Sandisk for comparison (approx on amazon) and kingston has bad price ranges and besides i want to prove a point
wink.gif

2gb SD - $7
4gb SDHC - $14
ratio is 7:14 ie. 50% difference (again the prices are too low so its not tht accurate but lets consider so)

32gb SDHC - $59
64gb SDXC - $125
ratio 59:125 ie. 47.2% difference

in other words, u can see the difference between the prices is even lower BUT without many differences such as the "newness" of the SDXC card, the differences ranges of SDHC card available and the different companies that can make something like this

initially, we will see SDHC cards on the 3ds flashcarts but later on we can definitely expect SDXC cards (maybe not too far later)

hope tht made sense

Mchief, how many DS games do u have compared to PSP games... imagine if the 3ds has the same number of amazing games
Cambridge, exactly what u said so instead of deleting and loading again and again, why not just have all the games there in the first place

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
The Wii didn't have SDHC support until later in it's life cycle, and that was added via firmware update. Many SDHC readers have been known to read SDXC cards with their own update. The 3DS could very well have support for it, and in a couple of year, the price of SDXC cards will drop like SDHC cards have done.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
TwinRetro said:
It's already been discussed, and no it won't be, nor will it be logical to do so. If 32GB isn't enough for you to use on a HANDHELD system, there is seriously something wrong with you.

Besides the only reason for this would be for the possibility of piracy...why would Nintendo support that?
I think she means for flashcarts?

Whatever she means, SDXC is expensiver than jesus.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
shakirmoledina said:
i agree with jones and hani whereby the price atm is quite high but consider the future

if we compare the prices of the minimum overflow of the SDHC to the max SD card price AND the same for the SDHC and SDXC
ie. 2gb SD and 4gb SDHC AND 32gb SDHC and 64gb SDXC (although this is not a good comparison since we have more than 4gb SDHC cards while SDXC has not reached that level yet hence the expensive price)

am using Sandisk for comparison (approx on amazon) and kingston has bad price ranges and besides i want to prove a point
wink.gif

2gb SD - $7
4gb SDHC - $14
ratio is 7:14 ie. 50% difference (again the prices are too low so its not tht accurate but lets consider so)

32gb SDHC - $59
64gb SDXC - $125
ratio 59:125 ie. 47.2% difference

in other words, u can see the difference between the prices is even lower BUT without many differences such as the "newness" of the SDXC card, the differences ranges of SDHC card available and the different companies that can make something like this

initially, we will see SDHC cards on the 3ds flashcarts but later on we can definitely expect SDXC cards (maybe not too far later)

hope tht made sense

Mchief, how many DS games do u have compared to PSP games... imagine if the 3ds has the same number of amazing games
Cambridge, exactly what u said so instead of deleting and loading again and again, why not just have all the games there in the first place
Where are you getting $125 for a 64GB SDXC? Because that's an UNBELIEVABLY CHEAP price.
http://www.sandisk.com/products/dslr/sandi...ltra-sdxc-cards 64GB SDXC $251.99, and that's a full size SDXC card, Micros are almost always more expensive.

Also, you're comparing the prices wrong. You wouldn't compare the price of X to Y equally since they're a). differen't sizes b). different formfactor.
Again, the 64GB for $125 is so unbelievably cheap, especially for a brand new type that it is essentially only $5 more than the smaller size (32 x 2 = 64, $60 x 2 = 120). As a general rule, just because you double something doesn't mean the price doubles in line, a 1GB stick of RAM might be $10, but a 2GB would be $25 which is more than double due to the complexity of having twice as much in the same space... and this is after YEARS of that particular RAM type being made (and improvements and advancements made).

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Fishaman P said:
WOW, PEOPLE.

He asked if flashcarts could use that.

However, it likely would not happen. They'd need to come up with Mini/Micro SDXC cards to fit into the carts.
They come in the exact same physical sizes, young lady.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Where are you getting $125 for a 64GB SDXC? Because that's an UNBELIEVABLY CHEAP price.

Multiple Places?

o.O

QUOTE(shakirmoledina @ Feb 25 2011, 02:10 PM) Mchief, how many DS games do u have compared to PSP games... imagine if the 3ds has the same number of amazing games

Too many games to count... The ratio? ... 25 DS Games to 2 PSP Games... No Joke.. I don't put all of them on there at once, either... Just a handful at a time.. Until I get bored.

Even then, what I say still stands. You don't need to have every game with you at one time... 32GB would still suffice unless you ultimately feel you HAVE TO HAVE hundreds of games in one card... Which.. Heh, to each their own...

Nepeta

:33
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:

Games are 2GB, and future games will be up to 8GB..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Also touch is better.... Well at least better than the launch DS, the lite one improved that a ton