Battle Ready
OP
Trophies
Website
bonkmaykr.xyz
XP
Country
United States
There was an existing thread on this, but it was from 2017 and got closed because it was being necro'd to death.

I know the old 3DS is severely underpowered, it's honestly a miracle anything works on it, but with all that aside... The 3DS runs on the ARM9 architecture, and so do the PSP and Vita... Would it be possible to use HLE on the CPU to eliminate a lot of the bottlenecks, and save LLE for things like memory management? That should theoretically make PSP emulation possible right?

I'm just throwing ideas around, but I'm pretty bummed out that all of the Wipeout games are Playstation exclusives. I have never owned a Playstation console in my entire life, I'd buy a used PS3 + PSVita for real cheap but I'm trying to save money right now for more important things. Until my Steam Deck arrives I'd like to have some way to play Wipeout Pure without needing to use my cell phone and PPSSPP. I can't be the only one who wants to see this happen.

Everybody carries their phones around these days and can emulate their entire retro library from them. But having to either use a touch controller or carry around an external controller with you is painful. I had to create some extremely goofy custom setup just to play Pure properly on a touch screen (see attached image). I could solve this problem by buying a Vita but... Again, budget constraints.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220502-145050_PPSSPP.jpg
    Screenshot_20220502-145050_PPSSPP.jpg
    859.1 KB · Views: 138

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know the old 3DS is severely underpowered, it's honestly a miracle anything works on it, but with all that aside... The 3DS runs on the ARM9 architecture, and so do the PSP and Vita... Would it be possible to use HLE on the CPU to eliminate a lot of the bottlenecks, and save LLE for things like memory management? That should theoretically make PSP emulation possible right?
the original PSP runs with a MIPS processor, similarly to the PS2, PS1 or N64 (dunno much about MIPS, there are probably some versionional differences too). The Vita is another story, it does feature an ARM cpu (additionally to the MIPS one for backwards compability), but 1. it's ARMv7 compared to ARMv6 on 3DS and 2. it's faster than O3DS and somewhat similar in speed to the New 3DS. Instruction set is only one of many factors to consider, though if they'd match up it would admittedly make emulation easier.

And you can't just HLE random things. I honestly cannot say what is possible and what not if you'd really put a lot of effort into emulating PSP dedicatedly on New 3DS, but nobody's gonna do that, so yeah.

Doux91

Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
3ds runs a arm9 procesor but in dsi mode, thats 166mhz, the psp uses mips procesor with 333mhz, its imposible to emulate psp in 3ds that only runs in arm11 of 266mhz, use your pc, the new 3ds is 800mhz but even with that n64 emulator is dead

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
all the good cheap deals are from Japan and have a 20 dollar shipping fee
look i'm from argentina and second hand PSPs are being sold for like 8000 pesos, which would be around 50 dollars. 13000 at most (around 100 dollars) Maybe look harder? look somewhere else? Paying 20 to ship one from japan is probably unnecessary.
I still have my fat 1000 PSP, but i still check prices every now and then because it's battery died, and the square button is sorta unresponsive. I cleaned it up and it worked better for like a month, then went back to being sorta unresponsive :(
I wish i could take it with me as i used to

Reactions: bonkmaykr

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: "I'm cheating on you with your hamster's cousin's owner's dog's favorite tree" +1