OP
Trophies
Website
shoptemp.com
XP
Country
Canada
SDboot official website
I have been performing some tests with latest SD-Boot 0.4 RC4. Many informations foung in the web are innacurate.
I wanted to share my testing you can post your own testing i will add them to my list (adding you to testers list)

-SD-Boot is an app that will let you run a gamecube backup off a SD card using a SD gecko.

-SD-Boot DOES support SDHC.It does support some sdhc cards, but don't expect it to support all sdhc cards, nothing ever will

-0.4rc4 lets your run SOME games without a wii or gamecube original in the drive but most games requires one or it will show a close the cover error.

-All you need a SD-GECKO(or similar device), a SDCARD , GC controller an GC memory card to get this running.

- Shrunk games seems to work better. I used GCM utility 0.5 to shrink.

Really easy to install; unzip this file to your SD card , put the isos in /GCGAMES and run the app from the sd-gecko in HBC (press 1 on wiimote to change device)

ALL TESTED GAMES ARE SHRUNK (SEE ABOVE) NTSC on a NTSC CONSOLE. THEY WERE NOT EXTENSIVELY TESTED JUST WENT TO SEE IF PLAYABLE.

Testers: SAO MORTEL, YUAN

GAMES THAT WORK WITHOUT A DISK(press A and B several times quickly to load)
-Disney hide and seek
-Donkey Konga
-Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (some sound glitches at loading)
-Harry Potter and the Sorceror Stone
-Mario Sunshine (sound glitches and may lose sound completely, intro scene has no sound)
-The legend of Zelda Four sword
-The Simpsons road rage
-Trigger man

GAMES THAT WORK WITH A WII OR GAMECUBE ORIGINAL
-Crazy Taxi
-DDR Mario mix
-Disney Party
-Disney Sports Soccer
-Final fantasy CC
-Kirby: Air Ride (some sound glitches)
-Mario Party 5
-Mario Party 7
-Mario Kart: Double Dash (sound glitch at press start and before race)
-Sonic Adventure DX
-Sonic Adventure 2
-The legend of Zelda: The wind waker
-Wario world
-X-Men The official game

GAMES THAT DON'T WORK
-Casper spirit dimension
-Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance: Black Screen on load
-Ikaruga: Disc error upon game start
-LOTR return of the king
-Luigi's Mansion: Freeze at Nintendo screen
-Mario Party 4
-Pokemon Box
-Pokemon Channel
-Pokemon Colloseum
-Spyro enter the dragonfly
-Star Fox Adventures
-Star Wars Rogue Squadron: Rogue Leader: Black screen on load
-Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3

Ill try to keep this updated thanks

Yuan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well I tested some too (Since a wii original disc applies too, I tested everyone with a disc):

Works:

Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (some sound glitches at loading)
Mario Sunshine (sound glitches and may lose sound completely, intro scene has no sound)
Kirby: Air Ride (some sound glitches)
Sonic Adventure DX
Sonic Adventure 2
Mario Kart: Double Dash (sound glitch at press start and before race)

Doesn't work:

Luigi's Mansion: Freeze at Nintendo screen
Star Wars Rogue Squadron: Rogue Leader: Black screen on load
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance: Black Screen on load
Ikaruga: Disc error upon game start

Sao Mortel

OP
Trophies
Website
shoptemp.com
XP
Country
Canada
Yuan said:
Well I tested some too (Since a wii original disc applies too, I tested everyone with a disc):

Cool Ill add them in disk section for the moment. Nice to know it works with wii disk...
If you have time to try without the disk it would be nice too.

Yuan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sao Mortel said:
Yuan said:

Cool Ill add them in disk section for the moment. Nice to know it works with wii disk...
If you have time to try without the disk it would be nice too.

Sorry but I can't (at least for now
frown.gif
). I made these tests last month, when I bought my wii (and my SD Gecko arrived).

But I will try when possible.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
How do you start it exactly? As far as i know SD-Boot is only 1 executable, a gamecube executable. If you run it from HBC, it should be executed as wii homebrew, which should cause lots of lots of issues.

I did a short test once and this worked for me:
Setup NeoGamma to run gamecube games from backup discs(install correct cIOS + recommend cMIOS, get the latest NeoGamma)
Set NeoGamma to GC mode external
Copy the SD-Boot .dol file to sd card as sd:/NeoGamma/GC.dol
Put in a gamecube disc, retail or backup
Run the game disc from NeoGamma

emu_kidid did improve the compatiblty a lot in the past months, but none of these improvements is released yet. It's over a half year since he announced a new SD-Boot version, so i have no clue when it's going to be released. But once it's released it should play >95% of games, as he fixed games i couldn't(Phantasy Star) and he should be able to grab all good stuff from my and/or WiiGator's loader.

PS: Please don't say "oh and SDHC works" without a BIG FAT WARNING THAT NOTHING WILL EVER SUPPORT ALL SDHC CARDS

elricorico

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
WiiPower said:
How do you start it exactly? As far as i know SD-Boot is only 1 executable, a gamecube executable. If you run it from HBC, it should be executed as wii homebrew, which should cause lots of lots of issues.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Homebrew_Launcher is what I use for launching gamecube executables, and it is the only way I got SD-Boot to work, though that was before NeoGamma was in the R9 betas. My SD-boot is at /GAMECUBE/SDBOOT/boot.dol on my front SD Card.

Because I only use that app for launching SD-Boot, for a time I was trying to figure out how to strip down the Wii Homebrew Launcher and just make a simple Gamecube Homebrew Launcher for Wii. Unfortunately I'm too many years removed from any serious coding and ended up giving up on it.

Yuan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
WiiPower said:

I did a short test once and this worked for me:
Setup NeoGamma to run gamecube games from backup discs(install correct cIOS + recommend cMIOS, get the latest NeoGamma)
Set NeoGamma to GC mode external
Copy the SD-Boot .dol file to sd card as sd:/NeoGamma/GC.dol
Put in a gamecube disc, retail or backup
Run the game disc from NeoGamma

emu_kidid did improve the compatiblty a lot in the past months, but none of these improvements is released yet. It's over a half year since he announced a new SD-Boot version, so i have no clue when it's going to be released. But once it's released it should play >95% of games, as he fixed games i couldn't(Phantasy Star) and he should be able to grab all good stuff from my and/or WiiGator's loader.

PS: Please don't say "oh and SDHC works" without a BIG FAT WARNING THAT NOTHING WILL EVER SUPPORT ALL SDHC CARDS

http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic...188&start=0 I followed this guide and everything went fine.

Sao Mortel

OP
Trophies
Website
shoptemp.com
XP
Country
Canada
WiiPower said:
I made this thread to point out games that don't need a disk to load which is AWESOME. Its best if you put all your files on the sdcard that you use on your sdgecko; that way its not mixed up with anything else. You only need 1 sdcard and 1 sdgecko and leave stuff there.

QUOTE(WiiPower @ Oct 15 2010, 02:31 AM) PS: Please don't say "oh and SDHC works" without a BIG FAT WARNING THAT NOTHING WILL EVER SUPPORT ALL SDHC CARDS

warning added

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks, i wasn't really serious about writing it that big, but something like: It does support some sdhc cards, but don't expect it to support all sdhc cards, nothing ever will

Is there a compatibltiy list like this one anywhere here on GBAtemp?
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Gamecube_Back...patibility_List

If yes, it would be nice to have that extra information(game doesn't need a disc) in there. Even if it's possible that SD-Boot 1.0 would work for all games without disc.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm going to buy an SD-Gecko soon, so...

Questions.

1. Does it load .iso images? I was quite sure that SD-Boot worked with .gcm images that you have to make yourself. Not a big problem, since I have a big library of GC games anyways. I'm interested because I hate disc switching.

2. You say it's SDHC compatible. Specify what card you're using, both the size and CLASS.

3. Just to clarify - I put both SDBoot and the Gamecube game images onto the SD inside SD-Gecko and launch the .dol via HBC or, if that proves to be impossible, via the Homebrew Launcher. Rrright?

Sao Mortel

OP
Trophies
Website
shoptemp.com
XP
Country
Canada
1. Yes .iso. ISO and GCM are the exact same thing just different letters!

2. I have different class 4 and class 6 ,4 and 8 gb (mostly chinese oem)they all worked for me.

3. HBC does support SD-gecko so theres no need to put it on another device.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No it's plant breeding