Hardware SD stopped working after formatting

Kefke_Wren

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to get through all the obvious stuff off the top...
  1. No, it was not a fake SD card.
  2. Yes, it was formatted in FAT32.
  3. Yes, it was working prior to being formatted.
  4. Yes, in the same n3DS.
  5. Yes, my PC can read it.
  6. Yes, I can move files to and from it on my PC.
  7. ...and read those files from the SD.
  8. The contacts on the 3DS are clean.
  9. Yes, I really did actually for real test all this really.
  10. No to just whatever TurdPooCharger thinks the issue is. Whatever it is, I'm certain you're wrong, have probably tested for, and definitely already decided to ignore your input. Don't even reply. Seriously.

Everybody get that? Okay.

So, I had issues with file corruption on my 64gb micro SD card, and had to reformat it. I decided that just be thorough I'd not try to copy any of my old files to it, and instead just start from scratch, letting the hardware treat it as a brand new card. I used MiniTool Partition Wizard to format it in FAT32, and even looked up a guide on setting up a 64gb card to make certain I wasn't forgetting or screwing up anything. Afterwards, the card works fine as a micro SD, except that my New 3DS XL refuses to recognize it. Its the same system that I was using the card in literally minutes before formatting, so nothing should have changed. All the same, nothing but "Could not detect a microSD Card." errors every time I start the system up. Even tried reformatting again, just in case there was an error the first time. Tried that twice, in fact. Since I don't think that my hardware remembers the card that betrayed it and stopped returning its calls, what the hell is going on, here?

Reactions: Alexander1970

Sevenbolts

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Download and install SD Card Formatter v5.
Use these options:
FORMAT TYPE - FULL (OverWrite)
(CHS) FORMAT SIZE ADJUSTMENT - ON

Then:
Download MiniTool Partition for Windows.
Install it.
Insert your MicroSD in your PC.
Start the program.
DELETE (not format) the whole partition.
Create a new whole one setting it as PRIMARY, FAT32 and Cluster Size 32 (64 is faster if you want, but 32 is default for 3DS).
Save the changes on the right up corner of the program.

Then try it.

Reactions: Kefke_Wren

Xilith

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
  10. No to just whatever TurdPooCharger thinks the issue is. Whatever it is, I'm certain you're wrong, have probably tested for, and definitely already decided to ignore your input. Don't even reply. Seriously.

So, I had issues with file corruption on my 64gb micro SD card, and had to reformat it. I decided that just be thorough I'd not try to copy any of my old files to it, and instead just start from scratch, letting the hardware treat it as a brand new card. I used MiniTool Partition Wizard to format it in FAT32, and even looked up a guide on setting up a 64gb card to make certain I wasn't forgetting or screwing up anything. Afterwards, the card works fine as a micro SD, except that my New 3DS XL refuses to recognize it. Its the same system that I was using the card in literally minutes before formatting, so nothing should have changed. All the same, nothing but "Could not detect a microSD Card." errors every time I start the system up. Even tried reformatting again, just in case there was an error the first time. Tried that twice, in fact. Since I don't think that my hardware remembers the card that betrayed it and stopped returning its calls, what the hell is going on, here?
Try to change the sd card adapter, maybe is broken.

Reactions: Alexander1970
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-snip-
  1. No to just whatever TurdPooCharger thinks the issue is. Whatever it is, I'm certain you're wrong, have probably tested for, and definitely already decided to ignore your input. Don't even reply. Seriously.
-snip-
It's a public forum... While I'll respect your demand in so much as to not give you any new troubleshooting inputs, I am leaving this here for others to judge for themselves whether my previous replies to you had any merits.
Our previous conversation chain goes from posts #49757 – 49771. At the very least, they will know how to better assist you by offering other ideas/suggestions than those already provided to you before.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's a public forum... While I'll respect your demand in so much as to not give you any new troubleshooting inputs, I am leaving this here for others to judge for themselves whether my previous replies to you had any merits.
Our previous conversation chain goes from posts #49757 – 49771. At the very least, they will know how to better assist you by offering other ideas/suggestions than those already provided to you before.
If they are going to be a outright twat with what they said. I don't think anyone should help someone who feels so entitled about themselves.

Reactions: CosmosX9B

Kefke_Wren

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TurdPooCharger is one of the most expert 3DS troubleshooters on the site. Discounting his advice is a mistake.

If you want people to help you troubleshoot, it's best not to come in with a nasty attitude in your first post.

TurdPooCharger has in the past been one of the most disrespectful and condescending users on this site. Their previous advice to me completely discounted any troubleshooting I had already done, and essentially was just to assume that I am a complete idiot. I give people the kind of attitude they have earned from me.

VzUh

you are now reading my custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
might i suggest trying another sd card before completely dismising the faulty sd card possibility?

i also side with TPC, ive read a ton of their messages over the time and i enjoyed almost everything of it. you cant read one of their messages and not learn something. and while i have bad memory, i cant recall a time where they said anything disrespectful

Reactions: Lacius

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
TurdPooCharger has in the past been one of the most disrespectful and condescending users on this site. Their previous advice to me completely discounted any troubleshooting I had already done, and essentially was just to assume that I am a complete idiot. I give people the kind of attitude they have earned from me.
No. Using h2testw, F3 or F3X is a well-tested procedure ruling out hardware problems (faulty, dying or fake SD). Quadruple format brings the SD to a known to work state from the software/formatting side.
@TurdPooCharger might give people a hard time when they don't follow this procedure; but this is in no way disrespectful and/or condescending. Any further troubleshooting makes no sense if the SD is not proven to be good. Too many possible causes of error. Simply looking through the post history will show a lot of amazing patience, knowledge and endurance in brick debugging. TurdPooCharger saved many consoles from being scrapped.
============

In the first post of this thread you said:
  • The SD is not hardware faulty
  • The SD is perfectly formatted
  • The SD reader is not dirty or faulty.
All of this statements are perfectly proven and true for you. This leaves… nothing I can think of.

might i suggest trying another sd card before completely dismising the faulty sd card possibility?[…]
I agree with that. I've experienced something similar where a µSD suddenly could not be used in a phone after taking it out once – no matter what I tried. The SD was perfectly fine on the computer and other devices but the one phone would not detect it anymore (while having no problems with other SDs). Never found a reason for that.

Reactions: IC_ and Lacius

Kefke_Wren

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the first post of this thread you said:
  • The SD is not hardware faulty
  • The SD is perfectly formatted
  • The SD reader is not dirty or faulty.
All of this statements are perfectly proven and true for you. This leaves… nothing I can think of.

The last I'm certain on. The first is true to the best of my ability to test. The second should be true, but it's entirely possible that either there was a mistake on my end, or the software I used had an issue. I am looking to eliminate those possibilities - or any other possibility that would make a good card not read, such as Nintendo having implemented new methods of detecting unsupported hardware - before I invest money into a new card. Particularly if there's a possibility that the issue is unrelated to the card and the new one might also not read.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Sometimes I've had weird issues like that solved by using a different SD reader or a different program on the PC to format the card. Still have no idea what caused it though.

Reactions: Kefke_Wren

laz305

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have originally used MiniTool Partition and I’m only getting an error of not being able to save theme settings. In Anemone and normal color changes won’t save. Should I try maybe format it in godmode9?

Download and install SD Card Formatter v5.
Use these options:
FORMAT TYPE - FULL (OverWrite)
(CHS) FORMAT SIZE ADJUSTMENT - ON

Then:
Download MiniTool Partition for Windows.
Install it.
Insert your MicroSD in your PC.
Start the program.
DELETE (not format) the whole partition.
Create a new whole one setting it as PRIMARY, FAT32 and Cluster Size 32 (64 is faster if you want, but 32 is default for 3DS).
Save the changes on the right up corner of the program.

Then try it.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have originally used MiniTool Partition and I’m only getting an error of not being able to save theme settings. In Anemone and normal color changes won’t save. Should I try maybe format it in godmode9?
Keep to your own thread and dont hijack others. You got one open about that. Simply wait and people who know anything will reply.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im back
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Find the studio rips, like a few GBs per song lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, game boys per song?
    I used to have a few of those with Direct Sound on XP and Audigy Platinum sound card with high end speakers was a glorious time for audio
    Lol no Gigabytes per song
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some websites have full studio rips of production kind of hard to find for obvious reasons
    +1
    Not sure current audio codec based sound built in to motherboards can handle the bit depth those used
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I just use mp3 files of the best quality i can find
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I say fuck it and open Spotify 80% of your musics already on it probably
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or just put in on yt
    Xdqwerty for most people hearing anything better than 256Kbps MP3 they cannot tell the difference
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    play the songs video
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Audiophiles mjs second allegation
    Pedo Audio what ever MJ was into he lost a glove
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mjs glove fit
    Billies Jeans did not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mj you are the father