Hacking SD corruption - Contemplating Suicide

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Hi all, I just lost everything...all of my files, pictures, videos, documents, games "ALL OF IT" after having installed and played super smash bros. clash. The things i had on that card took months upon months to assimilate and some documents where important like my tax return info and now it is "all" gone. What I have left are 3 annoying as @%^&+ mystery files named BM6@, hé8êá@hé.@hÉ, and @hÉ@hÉ@h.É8ê.

I'm guessing that the amount of data you had on the card before was relatively small, and smash clas is quite a big game?

I'm afraid it sounds like you may have a fake SD card. Once you've tried all the recovery options, Download H2testw to establish if it's fake (H2testW will overwrite all your data so it will render recovery solutions useless).

If it is a fake then I'm afraid the data is lost for good

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
If you're using Windows, Right-Click on mSD > Properties > Tools > Error Checking > Check both check boxes and start.
I don't know if it will completely fix it, but it's worth a shot.

When I stopped heavily using my flashcarts, I managed to delete ~100GB of (very inefficient) backups from my computer. Mainly because I was a heavy user of DS Organize when I didn't know that it was the cause of my troubles.

And don't consider suicide. It's not worth it. Maybe you'll get a better collection of files next time if it can't be recovered.

sandytf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do not modify the card at all. Do not perform error correction, edit files, or make any other changes. I have had luck in the past with programs like the previously mentioned TestDisk, but if you alter the disk at all, you will make the data even more difficult to recover.

Reactions: Boy12 and Sychu

Super.Nova

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
I once lost all data on a friend's flashcart memory card (corrupted all of a sudden, too).
Best solution was to format it and then immediately use a data recovery software.
For me, I used "Recover My Files" and it got 100% of the lost data back (or so what my friend said).

I can't emphasize enough on how you need NOT to attempt writing anything on it after formatting because that gets fragments of your old data lost for good.

Hope this helps...

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I once lost all data on a friend's flashcart memory card (corrupted all of a sudden, too).
Best solution was to format it and then immediately use a data recovery software.
For me, I used "Recover My Files" and it got 100% of the lost data back (or so what my friend said).

I can't emphasize enough on how you need NOT to attempt writing anything on it after formatting because that gets fragments of your old data lost for good.

Hour thus helps...

Might be worth mentioning that you'd only want to do a Quick Format, not a Full Format, because a full format is going to zero fill the card. However I'd suggest trying the other things first before doing a quick format and trying to recover the files.

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zero Assumption Recovery if you can buy it. Very simple yet efficient program.

I highly recommend this. This saved me many times, and this program even restored some force-deleted files.

If you're using Windows, Right-Click on mSD > Properties > Tools > Error Checking > Check both check boxes and start.

Do not do this. Windows error checking tools will find a problem, but it tries to fix it and makes it worse by restoring what it could find into a folder called "found.xxx" and everything inside is a renamed mess of dll files.

The first thing to do when it comes to memory card recovery is to not do anything that will write to the card, and this includes right-clicking a storage device and going to properties. If using Windows Vista or higher, Readyboost will attempt to test your card, and it will write a small cache temp file to the card. BAD MOVE, trust me on that one.

Sychu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing that the amount of data you had on the card before was relatively small, and smash clas is quite a big game?

I'm afraid it sounds like you may have a fake SD card. Once you've tried all the recovery options, Download H2testw to establish if it's fake (H2testW will overwrite all your data so it will render recovery solutions useless).

If it is a fake then I'm afraid the data is lost for good

That is very concerning as the seller of this card was selling it lower than the normal price though many reviews sated that the cards where genuine they seemed very unsure and assumptive. I really hope this is not the case. It is a SanDisk 32GB Class10.

I highly recommend this. This saved me many times, and this program even restored some force-deleted files.

Do not do this. Windows error checking tools will find a problem, but it tries to fix it and makes it worse by restoring what it could find into a folder called "found.xxx" and everything inside is a renamed mess of dll files.

The first thing to do when it comes to memory card recovery is to not do anything that will write to the card, and this includes right-clicking a storage device and going to properties. If using Windows Vista or higher, Readyboost will attempt to test your card, and it will write a small cache temp file to the card. BAD MOVE, trust me on that one.

Nice advice, but i'm running Linux. But regardless i really appreciate your effort and everyone else’s effort to help me out, thanks. ; )

Hour thus helps...

Yes that is what i read earlier, i will try the program you mentioned if it runs on linux but first i think i may try TestDisk. Thanks, and i will be sure to post up the method that worked for me if im am fortunate in retrieving my data.

Um... you kept your tax return data on your DSTWO?

I know it sounds bizarre but its actually a very long and complex story on that one ^ ^.

When I stopped heavily using my flashcarts, I managed to delete ~100GB of (very inefficient) backups from my computer. Mainly because I was a heavy user of DS Organize when I didn't know that it was the cause of my troubles.

And don't consider suicide. It's not worth it. Maybe you'll get a better collection of files next time if it can't be recovered.

Perhaps, but it'll take a very long time to get back what i lost but it's inevitable for it to get filled back up over time ^. I was planning on trying out DS organize, im glad you mentioned it. And don't worry i won't die now i have hope that i'll be able to recover my data thanks to you all <3.

Sychu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all! I'm proud to announce that after trying all of the suggested methods here, i was able to recover "all!" of my files ^ ^! They're in an disorganized heap but they're all there!:hrth:The method that worked for me was Photorec which was very easy to use and free.

Instruction: All you have to do is open the terminal and type photorec (if it's installed) then begin filling out the menu questions and choose a folder to copy too, preferably on a separate file system than you are using to launch the operation or else root will take ownership of the reclaimed files and they'll be locked. If that happens then you must launch nautilus (if installed) using the gksudo nautilus command in the terminal to gain root priveledges through a seperate GUI user interface (Sub-OS) and operate from their, or else you must run a chown string command in terminal. (PM me for help ; )

I tried the accompanying program Testdisk but i think that's more so for repairing file systems than recovering missing files. all of the other options where off the menu since they weren't Linux compatible (except for Byclouder which isn't free). I have secured many backup routes and storage areas for future disasters. I wouldn't have been able (or hopeful) enough to accomplish this without you all :cry:, mods feel free to close this thread!

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad to hear it worked. Don't keep such important documents on something like an SD card though, especially one that you are going to move around alot.

Sychu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad to hear it worked. Don't keep such important documents on something like an SD card though, especially one that you are going to move around alot.
Trust me, and this also goes without saying, that i'll never leave myself susceptible to things like that ever again. I was completely crushed and hopeless when i lost everything, i thought with 100% certainty that all my data and hard work was lost for good. Welp, i better get to work on organizing this titanic archive of data that i have sitting here :wacko: .

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Trust me, and this also goes without saying, that i'll never leave myself susceptible to things like that ever again. I was completely crushed and hopeless when i lost everything, i thought with 100% certainty that all my data and hard work was lost for good. Welp, i better get to work on organizing this titanic archive of data that i have sitting here :wacko: .

Then do a cloud backup!

Sychu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then do a cloud backup!
I have already done so, haven't you been following the thread? I use the ubuntu one cloud service for Linux, as well, my data is backed up on my SanDisk Pendrive and i even created a seperate partition on my internal drive for backups and other storage. I'm immune now. B-)

RiCK420

Contributing Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, I just lost everything...all of my files, pictures, videos, documents, games "ALL OF IT" after having installed and played super smash bros. clash. The things i had on that card took months upon months to assimilate and some documents where important like my tax return info and now it is "all" gone. What I have left are 3 annoying as @%^&+ mystery files named BM6@, hé8êá@hé.@hÉ, and @hÉ@hÉ@h.É8ê.

Is there any way i can get even a shred of my data back? Even just the file names would help alot. This error occurred when i went into free battle and tried to take a pic (from the clash pause menu), the game then froze and gave a black with white text error message I then restarted the ds to find that the dstwo wouldn't boot, that's when I checked the card and found those three files sitting there like nothing was wrong.

I would recommend the staff of this site to look into it and consider removing clash from the wiki adding a warning tag to the ssb clash program if it is found to be corrupt or unstable. Let this disaster serve as a fair warning to everyone to always back up your data ; ( I am not in a good mood right now at all..

Lesson learned? You should have made a backup!

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I used HandyRecovery and Active@ Partition Recovery much longer ago. It's possible that the data is intact and even readable, but the file table got corrupt and is now showing nonsense names. I've been using microSDs to play DS games for many years now, and yes once one of my memories progressively deteriorated and died, albeit in my case it was no longer possible to even see that the card was inserted. I lost nothing. I always do backups of my files whenever I finish playing something, and you should too. Never trust mobile storage with important stuff, not just because of corruption but also the risk of theft or losing the memory card.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I am very happy to hear you recovered your stuff though I would Highly recommend you keep a backup of your docs on a cloud service as I do making it easy to get too

Dropbox supports Mac, Windows, Linux, iOS, Blackberry and Android and is my top pick of cloud storage feel free to grab a account via my referral to get a free 500MB bonus space
http://db.tt/xohxARkY

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu