SD card deleting files by itself (WII U with CFW Tiramisu)

Rhigam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i have a weird thing happening to my SD card.

1) For some reason after a couple of days downloading games using NUSSPLI the program sais my SD card is "written locked" thus not allowing me to keep downloading stuff, i tried everything and the only way for me to keep downloading games is formatting the SD card and restarting the WII U to the factory config.

2) Since I had that issue i figured i would download all the games i could, store them in my PC, format the SD and restart the WII U to factory config when NUSSPLI gave me the "written locked" error and repeat, until i had all the games i wanted.

3) After a week of downloading all the games i wanted I came with another problem, the SD card refused to keep the game data of the games i downloaded, example:

I format the SD card and restart the Wii U to factory config
I install all the CFW fresh (including WUP installer)
I then put my SD card in my pc to copy 1 game i previously downloaded
I safely eject the SD card from my PC and immediately reconnect it and the file of the game i copied is there but EMPTY... all the game data is gone (although the SD gives me the memory values like if the game data is still there).
On the other hand if i immediately connect the same SD card on my Wii U and use NUSSPLI to download a game it stays there and does not get deleted like when i do it on my PC.

4) This is giving me a headache since basically all the time i spent downloading games is going to waste and if i do it directly on the Wii U i always reach the dead end where NUSSPLI doesnt allow me to keep going with the "written locked" error.

5) I checked there was a method to install games through USB and not SD but its from 2017 and not using tiramisu.

6) I already repaired the SD card using lots of methods and none of them fixes the issue.

Sadly i dont have money to buy another SD card :/ because i know 99% of the people will tell me "its the SD card" even though i still have my doubts because if I format it, everything works out again, if someone can help me or give me another method to install games i would really appreciate it.

Last edited by Rhigam,
  • Sad
Reactions: Alexander1970

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just because you can format a card does not mean its in tip top condition. Cards can become faulty in a variety of different ways but your "written locked" problem is the slider on the side of the card. Again could be faulty slider.

The only thing you can do is get another card to test your theory and eliminate that as a problem. I'm not sure what you expect people to offer as an alternative. Until then, everyone will tell you its your card. Sorry!

Rhigam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just because you can format a card does not mean its in tip top condition. Cards can become faulty in a variety of different ways but your "written locked" problem is the slider on the side of the card. Again could be faulty slider.

The only thing you can do is get another card to test your theory and eliminate that as a problem. I'm not sure what you expect people to offer as an alternative. Until then, everyone will tell you its your card. Sorry!
Slider cant be faulty since what sliders do is push a little lever inside the machine to signal the card is locked, therefore the machine wouldn't be able to read any card, because the lever inside the machine is the one faulty, never the slider of an SD card.

In any case ive been working hard to find the reason and I think i found it, there is a conflict between certain SD cards and "forcefully" push the fat32 format that is needed in order for the device to be recognized by the Wii U, the result is that when u go above certain quantity of data (40gb seems the breaking point so far for me) the SD card starts wiping the data you put inside the device above that, but has nothing to do with the SD card being faulty, is more so a compatibility problem.

Seems curious because there is no recollection of this problem in any video/forum ive seen so far about the homebrew process, in this case the solution is getting a smaller and chepear SD card (thank god) that is natively fat32 and run in 32k for proper game installation.

Hope this helps to solve the issue to someone in the future having the same problem i had, since as i said before there is not much about this topic on the internet.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well sliders can be faulty. If its broken off and still locked you cant unlock it? (most people wouldn't take the card apart ro fix so i dont assume)

Unless you have a sdxc or uhs type card then I'm still saying your cards faulty! I have used a 128gb sd card for years now with no problems.

Glad you sorted it tho and yeah that info will be helpful for someone.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sadly i dont have money to buy another SD card :/ because i know 99% of the people will tell me "its the SD card" even though i still have my doubts because if I format it, everything works out again, if someone can help me or give me another method to install games i would really appreciate it.
Have you checked the empty SD with h2testw or F3 for defects and fake capacity?

Obvious process of elimination:
  • Try another SD reader/writer with your current SD
  • Try another SD with your current reader/writer
SDs with small capacity aren't expensive. I could literally go for a walk, grab some returnable bottles along the way and when reaching the city, chances are I'd have collected enough money to buy a 32GB SD.

Rhigam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you checked the empty SD with h2testw or F3 for defects and fake capacity?

Obvious process of elimination:
  • Try another SD reader/writer with your current SD
  • Try another SD with your current reader/writer
SDs with small capacity aren't expensive. I could literally go for a walk, grab some returnable bottles along the way and when reaching the city, chances are I'd have collected enough money to buy a 32GB SD.
Thank your for your response, yes i did all of the above (except trying another SD card)

the f3 check for defects was part of the things that lead me to the solution and yes ill sell my current SD card, buy another one and still have money to spare in this case.

Rhigam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^- This. All your simpthoms sound like a crappy SD card (either old/worn out or cheap/eBay stuff).
Yeah they sound like that but confirmed its wasnt, either way i bought the same SD card i use for my switch which is a 516gb Sandisk SD card and is brand new.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/PRMX5mX-hvs?si=JdjNrndYJ7PelC7q