Gaming SD card corrupted data.

MeowTheMouse

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Hello,
I have a 128GB SDHC card, I've been trying to download SMTIV from the eShop but when download is complete, I get an error that says that the game data is corrupted and I need to redownload the game. So after playing with the files for a very long time (copying and pasting between cards) I managed to get SMTIV to work on the card, but now copying Paper Mario gives me the error and I can't even start downloading the game from the eShop.

After attempting to download the game from eShop I am surprised by a 250GB corrupted data file with a gibberish name that renders my SD card useless because I need to format the card in order for it to be functional again.

So is it from the horrible 3DS system? Or is it from the SD card? Is this fixable? Or do I have to buy a new card or something.

SD card info:
Brand: ADATA
Capacity: 128GB
Type: SDHC (not XC)
Class: 10 (its no way near the speed of class 10, its VERY slow, transfer rate is 4mb/s)
From: Ebay for 30$, which makes me suspect that the main reason for all this mess.

TL;DR:
After a certain threshold (I think) when I attempt to download from eShop, sometimes it will generate garbage data with a massive size, and/or won't allow me to download games into the card. I want to know what is causing this.

P.S
Is there a way to conveniently copy a game from one SD card to another? I've looked over the net but the way the 3DS system works is just retarded.

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

reprep

Trophies
Website
melankolisavar.blogspot.com
XP
Country
you got a fake, rubbish sd card it seems. i would just buy a new card. even if you could copy/paste your games, your sd card will fail ultimately and bye bye to your saves and downloaded content.

just buy a new card, copy all contents of the card (except the rubish large files) and paste them to your new card. that is all.

MeowTheMouse

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Meh, seems like its what I'm going to do. Any recommendations? And how can I even trust sellers on ebay? That seller is freeking high rated.

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
128GB? That's.... ridiculous. For SDHC, that is. As far as I remember SDHC caps out at 32, 64GB and up is SDXC territory. Sorry to say, but that's a confirmed fake. I know you don't mean 8GB either because for $30 that's a rip off.

I came across those chinese fakes before, yep. They use a program to fake the total size, when in reality it's actually way lower. Your card may not be completely dead though, just find the total space available until it starts to corrupt, and then use SDFormatter to format. That program corrected that for me. I still wouldn't trust that card for important data though.

MeowTheMouse

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
jagerstaffel
TheoreticallySDHC cards can reach 2TB, but only 32gb is supported. I used SDFormatter and its still on 122gb. I guess I'll just break this piece of shit ._.
16c5gjr.jpg

Thanks everyone for your input.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
jagerstaffel
TheoreticallySDHC cards can reach 2TB, but only 32gb is supported. I used SDFormatter and its still on 122gb. I guess I'll just break this piece of shit ._.
16c5gjr.jpg

Thanks everyone for your input.

*Facepalm* When you format a sd card or a pen drive, it doesn't fully reach its size, if you get a 8GB pen drive you will end up having 7,80 or less of capacity.
You were probably being greedy and bought yourself a large capacity SDXC card in which the 3DS doesn't support.

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
here is a test to see if your card is really 128 GB or not. obtain a really large file, and put it on the card. then make many copies of it on the card and see if you can hit 100gb+ without file/card corruption. the problem with cards from untrusted sources is that they say they are one size but are really alot smaller but modified to report to the OS that they are larger. it may say 128 GB in the 3ds and computer, but there might only be 8GB of actual space on it and once it all full the card is corrupted trying to write more.

MeowTheMouse

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
@Yepi
Eh.. You didn't read the whole thing, so nvm.

KazoWAR
Corrupted garbage data after anything more than 6.5gb >_>
Just broke the card and threw it in the garbage, I spent so many hours trying to figure out whats wrong ._.

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Yepi
Eh.. You didn't read the whole thing, so nvm.

@KazoWCorrupted garbage data after anything more than 6.5gb >_>
Just broke the card and threw it in the garbage, I spent so many hours trying to figure out whats wrong ._.

you should now report the seller on ebay and get your money back

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me...